Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Trusted 240 MOT Testers in the Portsmouth Area

Views : 316

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 13th, 2019, 11:21   #1
AlexO

Default Trusted 240 MOT Testers in the Portsmouth Area

Chaps,

I'm having a bit of a time getting my '92 240 through MOT in Portsmouth, mainly due to supposedly trusted mechanics telling half-truths and handing work off to their mates in dodgy back-alley shops. It's a long story.

Anyway, in anticipation of my 240 failing it's retest this afternoon I was wondering if anyone knows of a trusted, reliable, 240-knowedgable MOT tester in the Hampshire/Sussex area who knows their way around a 240 and won't just fail it because it's had an oil leak in the past and looks a bit grimey underneath?

And yes, before you say it, I am aware I can just go elsewhere but I'm seriously lacking in time to get things done at the moment and I really, really don't trust the local garages with my car. I'm hoping the dodgy chap it's booked with will be more inclined to sign off on the work that's been done if I stand there and explain to him that "rust-proof paint does also come in white so don't just assume it's bog like your mate over there just implied it is, thanks". Sigh.

Cheers

Alex
Old Feb 13th, 2019, 11:59   #2
Triple-S
How Old?

The Portsmouth area section of the Volvo Owners Club have just about every model of older Volvo amongst them, so they between them must know the local testers qualifications. Being near the Surrey/Sussex border I use Charlwood Automotive near Gatwick Airport, but if for some reason time is more important than getting ones car legal then the local VOC group could well be helpful.

Joining details and section leader details are as listed in the club magazine.

P
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2019, 10:52   #3
AlexO

Triple-S,

Thanks very much for the input, I'll certainly take a look at it. If anyone else has good experiences of MOT testers in the area I'd love to hear about it as well.

Luckily the car passed because the original tester was off on his day off and the back-up tester is actually an alright guy who knows what he's doing. Now for trim, a bit of a paint touch up and some sound proofing, yummy!

Cheers

Alex