Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General > 850/x70 S1 Wants

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

850 T5 Estate Wanted

Views : 2154

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 25th, 2020, 20:31   #11
GeorgeT5

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiwan740 View Post
Sorry for delay in response. I'm treating it as a project for now but I'd let it go for around £750-800. I'd be very interesting in swapping it for something like a 740, 940, 960, V50, S60, V70, XC70 etc.

An overly honest and probably pessimistic description :

It's an automatic, the gearbox is tight and shifts well, best auto gearbox I've ever had.

The coolant leak is now fixed, or at least substantially reduced. The boost leak is more or less fixed as well, but a small pipe for the boost actuator keeps blowing. Alignment has been sorted, but there's still quite a lot of slack in the steering which makes it jump around a bit. It also pulls to the right due to a sticking handbrake shoe on the right hand rear wheel. Exhaust backbox will need replacing for the next MOT.

The engine runs great and still picks up speed pretty well, but it starts stuttering and running too rich with full throttle and you need to back off. It's just had new spark plugs and I replaced one of the boost pipes which had also cracked. Got some service history from the previous owners (I'm number 7 I believe) New brake discs and pads on the front, the drums on the rear are new, but as explained above, handbrake needs some attention as it is dragging.

It is a Cat C salvage car and the mileage cog has not worked for some time, I would estimate 190,000 on the engine at this point.

Once I work out how to do it, I'll send you some pics/video and see what you think. It's a bit scruffy with some mismatching paint repairs, can't see any rust on the body and the underneath (save the exhaust) looks ok too.

Even if you decide you can't be arsed with this lot, I'd appreciate your opinion on it. It probably sounds like a basketcase but not sure if that's par for the course with the 850s these days or not.
Hi again,

Thanks very much for your reply and for your honest advert aha, I think sadly this may be too big of a project for me to take on at the moment... but I hope you can find someone to take it off your hands at some point!
GeorgeT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgeT5 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 20:43   #12
taiwan740

Oh god yeah, I totally understand. It's certainly do-able, but in the middle of January it's extremely frustrating. I was trying to replace the distributor cap earlier and couldn't get the leads to come off! They were taking my whole weight! I've decided to cut the leads off and replace them. Another £50 thrown to the wind.

I think I will "donate" it to my dad, who needs a runabout for a little while

I never worked out how to do photos on this site, it's pretty old school.

i'm sitting here wondering if i should just trade in for this...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1999-Volv...r/283514392559
taiwan740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2020, 22:27   #13
GeorgeT5

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiwan740 View Post
Oh god yeah, I totally understand. It's certainly do-able, but in the middle of January it's extremely frustrating. I was trying to replace the distributor cap earlier and couldn't get the leads to come off! They were taking my whole weight! I've decided to cut the leads off and replace them. Another £50 thrown to the wind.

I think I will "donate" it to my dad, who needs a runabout for a little while

I never worked out how to do photos on this site, it's pretty old school.

i'm sitting here wondering if i should just trade in for this...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1999-Volv...r/283514392559
Haha it all really adds up quickly! That seems like a good use though!

That v70 has been on there for a very long time... looks very nice though from appearances alone
GeorgeT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2020, 10:25   #14
hoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropes64 View Post
Hi Benjybh,
If your still interested, I have a 1996 Volvo 850 T5, it’s had one owner before myself, has 87000 miles on clock, full service history, ( recently had major service in November 2019) has had timing belts, changed twice in over its lifetime, last one changed in November 2018. Lovely car, lovely condition, only selling as I’ve purchased a new car today. Car is near Edinburgh. Regards David.
Do you still have this for sale?
hoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2020, 17:52   #15
readview
Trader

I have a factory manual 855 that I bought around a year ago and cannot find the time to get to,burgundy metallic,excellent body and original alloys,leather is ageing but still good,should improve with hide food.Needs a thrust bearing(noisy),not mot'd as has been garaged since I bought it.Car is isle of man registered so will need uk reg.i think the mileage is around 170 but it is really good on the body and looks like half that.Need the garage space £800 based in Lancashire BB5.
readview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 15:43   #16
hoody

Sorry just noticed this,thanks for the offer,too old now for gearbox out jobs.Many thanks for the offer though.
hoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 23:02   #17
Discombobulated
Impressive Member

Saw this really tidy looking 850 on eBay

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F174184109042
Discombobulated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2020, 17:58   #18
Mkengineering
Master Member

The Volvo 850s have come down dramatically in price. Not so long ago i was seeing owners try and sell them 2k and above! Now they dropped at the prices where they should be.

I am sure you will find a nice example. I've at least 5 t5 manual on ebay all under 2k! with lowish miles.
Mkengineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2020, 16:20   #19
amazondean
amazondean

I don't think the T5's have ever been more than a couple of grand. It's just people advertising them for more and hoping someone will pay! And that's where they stayed, (for sale!)
amazondean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to amazondean For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 10th, 2020, 00:53   #20
Mkengineering
Master Member

well my one is up for sale and its all sorted. Need to concentrate on the evo now
Mkengineering is offline   Reply With Quote