Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC40 '18> General > XC40 '18> Articles

Notices

XC40 '18> Articles How to's and Guides

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC40 Reversing Lights.

Views : 12931

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 16th, 2019, 13:56   #1
supabuilda

Angry XC40 Reversing Lights.

Does anyone know how to upgrade the reversing lights on my XC40.
Despite having a top of the range, all singing, gadget crammed car with a 360 reversing camera, the reversing lights are abysmal.
In any dark place the reversing aids are not fit for purpose.
Do I really have to get an auto-electrician to fit me a couple of cheap lights after spending 40K ?
The Following User Says Thank You to supabuilda For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 16th, 2019, 15:31   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supabuilda View Post
Despite having a top of the range, all singing, gadget crammed car with a 360 reversing camera, the reversing lights are abysmal.
Do I really have to get an auto-electrician to fit me a couple of cheap lights after spending 40K ?
Reversing lights are to indicate to people behind that you are reversing , rather than to see where you are going .. A lot of cars are going that way now with the led lights . I'm sure they can still pick out the corners of walls etc though . if not why not outline the sharp edges with a strip of white paint?
Old Dec 16th, 2019, 20:33   #3
Boatie
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Reversing lights are to indicate to people behind that you are reversing , rather than to see where you are going .. A lot of cars are going that way now with the led lights . I'm sure they can still pick out the corners of walls etc though . if not why not outline the sharp edges with a strip of white paint?
An interesting argument. Has anyone told Volvo that they have CUSTOMERS. So take what want they offer and buy a pot of paint!
To the OP. My V90 reversing lights are ****. as well.
Old Dec 16th, 2019, 21:15   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatie View Post
An interesting argument. Has anyone told Volvo that they have CUSTOMERS. So take what want they offer and buy a pot of paint!
To the OP. My V90 reversing lights are ****. as well.
Perhaps the law has changed , worth checking it out ... as I said, a lot of new cars are like this now .
Old Dec 16th, 2019, 23:47   #5
supabuilda

Headlights are basically provided to help see where you are going not to tell other people that you are coming.
Reversing lights should help you see where you are reversing.
How can you put marks on walls in a poorly lit public car park ?
Old Dec 17th, 2019, 03:55   #6
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Perhaps the law has changed , worth checking it out ... as I said, a lot of new cars are like this now .

I have just done some searched on google and cannot find anything relating to the law and brightness of the reversing lights, plenty regarding, how many, what should work and since when, but nothing about lumens etc.

I do believe their primary role is to alert other users and from what i would class as common sense, any white light should not be so much as to dazzle or confuse other road users, i think this will be the reason for them not being so bright. Also i find nothing in the MOT standard referencing lumens (brightness), just that there must be at least one and where however many are fitted, should all be working.

Being able to see going backwards is a must in my book, even more so when you just come from a straight door to extra bulge lark, i never did like it when they added that, its even worse when trying to close quarter park in reverse
Old Dec 17th, 2019, 12:11   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Headlights are basically provided to help see where you are going not to tell other people that you are coming.
Reversing lights should help you see where you are reversing.
How can you put marks on walls in a poorly lit public car park ?
headlamps are there to warn people that you approaching just as much as to be able to see , that is why it is illegal to drive on side lights alone in poor weather conditions .
Old Dec 20th, 2019, 12:23   #8
cassell
Member since 1988

Quote:
I'm with you on this one, I have a V90 and the reversing lights are pathetic. Yes, I'm aware that under 'construction and use' and 'type approval' regulations, reversing lights are primarily to warn others that a vehicle is reversing, but if a manufacturer has to fit them anyway, why not make them a useful aid for the vehicle's driver too?

There is a SPA XC90/S90/V90 facebook page which has a lot of American followers, many of them have resorted to fitting additional reversing lights under the rear bumper. Sadly the kit they've used is only available in America, having said that, I'd not want to disfigure the rear of my car to overcome a situation that the manufacturer has caused.

It'll be interesting to see if forthcoming facelifted SPA variants have brighter/larger reversing lights as I'm told that Volvo are aware of this customer dissatisfaction.
Old Jan 6th, 2020, 22:38   #9
matt taboada

Angry Xc40

Quote:
I COMPLAINED ABOUT MY REVERSING LIGHTS ON MY XC40 BEING VERY POOR.
AND I WAS TOLD THAT THERES NOTHING WRONG WITH THEM.
THE FACT THAT YOU CANT SEE A CAR PARKED EVEN WITH 360 CAMERA SHOULD SAY SOMETHING ABOUT THE CLARETY OF THE LIGHTS.
Old Jan 6th, 2020, 23:23   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt taboada View Post
I COMPLAINED ABOUT MY REVERSING LIGHTS ON MY XC40 BEING VERY POOR.
AND I WAS TOLD THAT THERES NOTHING WRONG WITH THEM.
THE FACT THAT YOU CANT SEE A CAR PARKED EVEN WITH 360 CAMERA SHOULD SAY SOMETHING ABOUT THE CLARETY OF THE LIGHTS.
Actually reversing lights are only meant to inform people behind that you are reversing .. Just about all cars are like this today with small LED reverse lights , much brighter to the car behind than the old ones but not designed to illuminate buildings etc .