Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC70 Sat Nav Shenanigans

Views : 792

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 5th, 2020, 20:47   #1
Pinchcliff

Default XC70 Sat Nav Shenanigans

Hi, I have 2007 (2008MY) XC70, when I bought the car I was told the sat nav screen didn't work but the reader did, this appears to be the case as it offers directions. So...I removed the old one to check the correct part number, found the right one on ebay for a reasonable price and it arrived today On fitting I was delighted to see the screen light up and the map display appeared, the controls on the steering were working fine too, total time for happiness...45secs, it then sank back into the dash, I've repeated this now several times and it's always the same, after around 45secs, it switches off and drops back into the dash, tried putting the old one back in, it rises from the dash and stays up, but the display is dead, feeling rather frustrated, any helpful thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Pinchcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2020, 21:25   #2
Pinchcliff

Well I sent the new secondhand one back to the seller on ebay, he was happy to refund, another now bought, awaiting delivery, hopefully this one will work.
Old Feb 18th, 2020, 22:00   #3
Pinchcliff

Well second sat nav arrived, popped in in, it illuminated however like the other, after around 45 seconds, it sinks into the dash, I'm assuming the problem lies elsewhere, maybe the dvd drive in the boot? Back to the drawing board.
Old Feb 18th, 2020, 23:29   #4
Oak

If the backlight has gone on the original, is it worth swapping the screen itself over? Could it be theft protection kicking in, sensing this is not the original unit?
The Following User Says Thank You to Oak For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 03:10   #5
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchcliff View Post
Hi, I have 2007 (2008MY) XC70, when I bought the car I was told the sat nav screen didn't work but the reader did, this appears to be the case as it offers directions. So...I removed the old one to check the correct part number, found the right one on ebay for a reasonable price and it arrived today On fitting I was delighted to see the screen light up and the map display appeared, the controls on the steering were working fine too, total time for happiness...45secs, it then sank back into the dash, I've repeated this now several times and it's always the same, after around 45secs, it switches off and drops back into the dash, tried putting the old one back in, it rises from the dash and stays up, but the display is dead, feeling rather frustrated, any helpful thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Have a look here
The Following User Says Thank You to Bashy For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 17:15   #6
Pinchcliff

I guess if the above is correct it's virtually impossible to buy a sat nav screen (second hand)?
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 17:32   #7
apersson850
Premier Member

An authorized Volvo workshop may be able to remove the theft protection. But otherwise you're right. Used parts are blocked from re-use, to minimize theft.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 17:51   #8
Tatsfield
Premier Member

When a Volvo garage fits a new sat nav they have to code it to make the car recognise it. Is that done via the Volvo Swedish mainframe or can you just use VIDA to overwrite the product part ID with that of the replacement? I'm loath to experiment on my car just for the sake of curiosity in case I do some mischief with VIDA by accident.
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 21:31   #9
Oak

It’s possible to have theft protection removed. Volvo will do it and do it for testing purposes when replacing kit. It may be worthwhile asking a decent independent to remove it though, not only cheaper but also “more legit”

However, since it sounds like your old unit works and works well (all be it in a dark manner!) I would swap the screen over as I suggested. It’ll be unlikely they’d code the screen, but I would imagine the security coding would reside in the unit, not in the screen itself.

Not much to loose though! Perhaps a few calls to a few decent indies “how much to remove theft protection” perhaps a very friendly one might allow you to test removal with your “new” unit fitted? You wouldn’t feel so bitter if removing protection made the “new” unit work if you could verify it did work as expected before paying for the software mod?
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 22:09   #10
Pinchcliff

Thanks for the great advice, it now makes sense, which it didn't before, I'll speak to my local indy garage tomorrow. Out of interest is it difficult removing the actual screen from the unit? tried searching You Tube for a vid but no luck.