Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

High Revs when cold...

Views : 1040

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 8th, 2011, 08:32   #1
Barry0501
Barry0501

Default High Revs when cold...

Hi all,
I've had the '58 XC60 auto now for 3 months and it's great, but I am noticing that the revs are very high when the engine is cold, even under very light acceleration.

It's holding 1st,2nd and 3rd at around 2000 - 2,800 revs, and the revs don't seem to change very much when the car 'gears up' - When it does shift, it sounds like a manual box 'clutch slipping' if that makes any sense. This was far more noticeable in the cold weather we've just been through.

When the car is warm, the up-shift happens at just over 2,000 revs and drops around 600 revs for each shift which is fine.

Is this a 'feature' of the auto box ? - I'd like to know whether I should try and explain this to the dealer or not.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Barry0501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 11:39   #2
blank354

seem to remember that it says something about the engine revving high in cold conditions in the manual and this is normal,take a look in that first maybe?
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 10:10   #3
XC60KEV
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry0501 View Post
Hi all,
I've had the '58 XC60 auto now for 3 months and it's great, but I am noticing that the revs are very high when the engine is cold, even under very light acceleration.

It's holding 1st,2nd and 3rd at around 2000 - 2,800 revs, and the revs don't seem to change very much when the car 'gears up' - When it does shift, it sounds like a manual box 'clutch slipping' if that makes any sense. This was far more noticeable in the cold weather we've just been through.

When the car is warm, the up-shift happens at just over 2,000 revs and drops around 600 revs for each shift which is fine.

Is this a 'feature' of the auto box ? - I'd like to know whether I should try and explain this to the dealer or not.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Hiya, i noticed this this last week when the car was used immediatly prior for short journey then in a carp park for 3 days in my D5 manual. I put this down to (rightly or wrongly) that the car was crying out for a DPF regeneration cycle.

Short blast on the motorway did the trick.
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 12:43   #4
john h
VOC Member

I can't comment on your car specifically, but a BMW auto I owned explained in the handbook that the gearbox was programmed to hold higher rpm for the first few minutes of driving in order to heat up the catalytic converters more quickly, to reduce emissions.

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 13:38   #5
jcanavon

Hi, as I haven't got my XC60 yet, please forgive me if am wrong. I've ordered it and should arrive middle of march. Similiar to the BMW auto box as mentioned above, my mum's Honda's jazz auto box does the same thing. A illuminated sign of oC is displayed on the dash. This means the engine is cold and the gearbox holds onto the revs longer getting the engine to normal operating temp quicker. Once it went out, usually after a couple of minutes the revs went back to normal and felt smoother. Help this helps.
jcanavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 20:13   #6
Barry0501
Barry0501

Many thanks for the replies and advice. I've read the manual (boy is it big!), but can't see anything here, but the comments posted make me more at ease that this is a 'feature' rather than a problem. Many thanks for the help.
Barry0501 is offline   Reply With Quote