Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My15 V60 D4. Giving off oily fumes

Views : 26968

Replies : 118

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 24th, 2019, 09:01   #31
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTaylor View Post
I've thought about it, but not sure what to look at. Both of my last Volvo's have been D4's and I really like to power and economy they offer. I wouldn't want to drop down to something like a D2 or D3, and D5's aren't that common and more expensive.

I've considered going back to a V70, but now 2 of my kids have left home I'm not sure I need such a big car. V40's are a little too small, the V60 was the best compromise.

The dealer loaned me a T2 R design and I was totally underwhelmed by it. The only thing I liked better than my V60 were the seats. The entertainment system sounded much worse, smaller speakers, it felt plasticy and had no power. I would not have purchased one.
Won't you struggle to get a Volvo that isn't a VEA?

And won't you currently struggle to sell a Volvo with a VEA engine?
Old Sep 24th, 2019, 12:15   #32
DTaylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
Won't you struggle to get a Volvo that isn't a VEA?

And won't you currently struggle to sell a Volvo with a VEA engine?
No, I was offered a part ex price for it yesterday against a Mazda 6.
I thought the D5 had a different engine?
Old Sep 24th, 2019, 12:33   #33
Turnwood

Quote:
I think you are on safe ground part exing because there is an expectation that the dealer you are selling the car to should be aware of outstanding recalls on the vehicles they are purchasing. However, selling the car privately is a completely different kettle of fish. What happens if I sell my car next week without informing the buyer of the recall and it then catches fire whilst being driven by the new owner and the fire spreads to other vehicles or a building, or god forbid causes injury to someone. I could be accused of selling a vehicle that is known to pose a fire risk to an unsuspecting buyer - far fetched maybe, but not outside the realms of possibility and very messy legally if it ever came to pass This whole situation is pretty awful and my unhappiness will be evident to my local dealer when I take my car in for its service in a couple of weeks.

Turnwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2019, 12:44   #34
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Was it a good offer?

D4 and D5 are engine power ratings. The current D5 is a VEA.
Old Sep 24th, 2019, 17:11   #35
DTaylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
Was it a good offer?

D4 and D5 are engine power ratings. The current D5 is a VEA.
Not good enough. £4,700 plus my V60 to get a Mazda 1 year newer.
Old Sep 24th, 2019, 17:13   #36
DTaylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnwood View Post
I think you are on safe ground part exing because there is an expectation that the dealer you are selling the car to should be aware of outstanding recalls on the vehicles they are purchasing. However, selling the car privately is a completely different kettle of fish. What happens if I sell my car next week without informing the buyer of the recall and it then catches fire whilst being driven by the new owner and the fire spreads to other vehicles or a building, or god forbid causes injury to someone. I could be accused of selling a vehicle that is known to pose a fire risk to an unsuspecting buyer - far fetched maybe, but not outside the realms of possibility and very messy legally if it ever came to pass This whole situation is pretty awful and my unhappiness will be evident to my local dealer when I take my car in for its service in a couple of weeks.
The recall work on my V60 has all been carried out. There are no outstanding recalls on it at all.
Old Sep 24th, 2019, 17:19   #37
DTaylor

Also if selling something and it is not as described, ie a known fault and you omit to mention it the buyer can claim their money back. Given the record held by Volvo with my car going in for this fault it would be pretty easy to prove I sold it with a known issue and kept quiet. It's different if you point it out and they agree or negotiate a reduction because of an issue.
Old Sep 24th, 2019, 17:45   #38
DTaylor

TBH I'm just really fed up and want it fixed. I'm not as keen on any of the other cars I have looked at as my V60
Old Sep 24th, 2019, 19:58   #39
dhr90

Quote:
I've thought about it, but not sure what to look at. Both of my last Volvo's have been D4's and I really like to power and economy they offer. I wouldn't want to drop down to something like a D2 or D3, and D5's aren't that common and more expensive.

I've considered going back to a V70, but now 2 of my kids have left home I'm not sure I need such a big car. V40's are a little too small, the V60 was the best compromise.

The dealer loaned me a T2 R design and I was totally underwhelmed by it. The only thing I liked better than my V60 were the seats. The entertainment system sounded much worse, smaller speakers, it felt plasticy and had no power. I would not have purchased one.
A 5 cylinder D5 with 6 speed gearbox. Its not as advanced a gearbox, and sounds a bit agricultural, but has plenty of grunt, keeps up with a friends 300zx up to legal speeds at least
And none of the issues of the VEA engines. I think I waited 6 months for mine to pop up, and it is grand. My long term average is 47mpg, consisting of a daily commute of 7-8 miles each way at most getting to 50mph, but a 400 mile round trip every 4-8 weeks. I'm quietly smug and very relieved I didn't end up with a VEA car.

Have to say the V40 underwhelmed me too when I test drove a T4. Do you need an estate? How about an S60?
Old Sep 24th, 2019, 21:17   #40
DTaylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhr90 View Post
Have to say the V40 underwhelmed me too when I test drove a T4. Do you need an estate? How about an S60?
The estate is handy for taking the border collie out in