Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Drivers Information Module (DIM) diy repair

Views : 145972

Replies : 226

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 17th, 2013, 16:20   #121
DaveL485

Thanks everyone, about to strip mine apart. Fingers crossed!
DaveL485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2013, 17:24   #122
GustafRG

Hi,

I am actually about to buy a '03 XC70 where the clock-set knob seems to be broken, resulting in the clock running free, "clockwise".

I saw your post and just registered on the forum to be able to view the attached images, but as i registered, the links in your post disappeared(?)

I'm an experienced electronics hobbyist, and want to know what I´m up against should i buy this car.

Best regards,

Gustaf Rylander Gerdeman
GustafRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2013, 17:28   #123
Brendan W
Premier Member

My 03V70 has been scrolling the clock intermittantly for three years. It happens only when starting the car hot such as after refuelling etc. I interpret this as the beginning of DIM failure and expect that when or if it gets worse I will be able to send it for repair for less than €100 including postage.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brendan W For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 23rd, 2013, 17:39   #124
Marmitespreader
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustafRG View Post
Hi,

I am actually about to buy a '03 XC70 where the clock-set knob seems to be broken, resulting in the clock running free, "clockwise".

I saw your post and just registered on the forum to be able to view the attached images, but as i registered, the links in your post disappeared(?)

I'm an experienced electronics hobbyist, and want to know what I´m up against should i buy this car.

Best regards,

Gustaf Rylander Gerdeman
Hi
The PDF may be what you are looking for.
The forum database was changed some time ago, so all pics, pdf's etc prior, are lost
Jim

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=143579

Last edited by Marmitespreader; Jun 23rd, 2013 at 17:42.
Marmitespreader is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marmitespreader For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 23rd, 2013, 17:55   #125
Marmitespreader
Master Member

Forgot to add, & I'm sure you're well aware, but if you fry the Motorola chip, the DIM is irreparable.
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 19:21   #126
DaveL485

So my attempt failed miserably due to the incredibly small connections and the size of my soldering iron....too big.

I bit the bullet and after careful research went for this.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=111108460854

(Seller profile for when link expires http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/revtronic-...p2047675.l2559 )

£110 is a lot but it is warrantied for 12 months and a tiny amount compared to a new DIM. These guys seemed experienced and had good feedback, with off ebay reports looking promising.

I sent the dash off special delivery Saturday morning. It was back when I got back from work TODAY (Tuesday). Thats a rapid service alright!
Have refitted and it's perfect. Initial reports are excellent....apparently there is a power supply thats been replaced as part of the service (may be a contributing factor in the original issues?)

Inconsequential really but there was a handwritten note included, saying "thanks for your custom" on return, which I felt was a nice touch.

Highly recommend these guys (Revtronic UK) for those of you unable to repair your own DIM.
DaveL485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2013, 02:15   #127
joser

how are you keithC70 I was trying to see if you still have he picture for the dim repair I have a 03 s60 with the cluster going on and off randomly if you can please post the pictures again I would be thankful
joser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2013, 21:51   #128
smarzigliano

Wink ship the panel out to rebuild it cheap here

instead of going crazy trying one thing or the other - hit or miss....I looked at ebay and in the USA this seems to be the place that will
fix up the panel in no time. I wish I had looked earlier instead of suffering.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-S60-DI...3d4365&vxp=mtr

$270 which includes ship back.
smarzigliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2013, 00:23   #129
Marmitespreader
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarzigliano View Post
instead of going crazy trying one thing or the other - hit or miss....I looked at ebay and in the USA this seems to be the place that will
fix up the panel in no time. I wish I had looked earlier instead of suffering.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-S60-DI...3d4365&vxp=mtr

$270 which includes ship back.
This is the chap
Old Jul 16th, 2013, 21:06   #130
willhobbs01

Default Finally broke down and used Xemodex-- very happy camper!

I resoldered various components on the DIM three times, and each time it worked for months, but then something came loose. The last time I did it, I looked very closely under a magnifying lens and found a couple of pins that looked like they didn't have any solder. Touching these two up with solder fixed the problem. However, after three more months of reliable operation, the DIM went dim again.

Although fixing it yourself gives you bragging rights, I finally decided enough was enough. This time, I decided to go the Xemodex rebuilt DIM route, and I'm really pleased.

For $450, I got the DIM, plugged it in, and it didn't read the CEM mileage. Maybe it was user error, or something, but it came up with 128 miles, which Xemodex says is the default if it can't read the CEM. I told them what I wanted the mileage to read, and they shipped a preprogrammed unit to me overnight. The funny thing is, this time it read the CEM, which had a slightly different value than what I estimated. Anyway, I now have a DIM with a lifetime warranty, so that is one annoyance off my list.

Tony, their technician, is a joy to work with. I highly recommend going that route, if, like me, you've tired of the DIY process-- there are too many pins to make sure you got them all. This eliminates the problem altogether. The only caveat is that they don't send instructions with the DIM--make sure you read the instructions on their web site-- simple, but apparently not foolproof.

Last edited by willhobbs01; Jul 16th, 2013 at 21:07. Reason: Misspelled Xemodex in Title
willhobbs01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to willhobbs01 For This Useful Post:

Tags
dim failure