Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06> / C30 '07-'12 General
Register Members CarsBlogs Help Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

S40 / V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06> / C30 '07-'12 General Forum for the S40 / V50 '04> / C70 '06> /C30 '07> models.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My way of driving and what it does to my car

Views : 18925

Replies : 109

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: This is my driving style
I drive hard, use full throttle and max revs - and have had no issues 25 6.08%
I drive hard, use full throttle and max revs - and have had problems 2 0.49%
I drive moderately hard and floor it from time to time - and have no issues 232 56.45%
I drive moderately hard and floor it from time to time - and have had problems 42 10.22%
I drive very gently, low revs and little throttle mostly - and all is OK 100 24.33%
I drive very gently, low revs and little throttle mostly - and have had problems 10 2.43%
Voters: 411. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 12:38   #21
camevad
EvilHomer
 
camevad's Avatar
 

Last Online: Jul 5th, 2011 13:10
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: York
Talking no.3 for me

let's admit it-you can't resist the right pedal in the 2.0D when that 17 year old in the 'slammed' Civic is trying to clean your rear bumper with his front one...
camevad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 19:51   #22
stewarton wolf
New Member
 

Last Online: Jun 28th, 2015 18:00
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Telford
Default

I used to drive quite gently all of the time with my V50 2.0d, but the engine warning light came on a couple of times and dropped into limp mode, now I always give it a bit of welly once it is warm and it seems to of sorted the problem. I always let the engine idle of a minute after my commute 90 miles just to ensure there is enough oil around the turbo.
stewarton wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 20:24   #23
Project239X
The Beast
 

Last Online: Jan 28th, 2016 17:44
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Nottingham
Default

I'm still waiting for my new Volvo to arrive, currently I have an old V40 2.0 but I'm excited about my new 2008 V50 R Design D5. I keep seeing comments about how good the 2.0D engine is, what should I expect from my D5?
Project239X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2011, 11:27   #24
stevo83
Living legend
 
stevo83's Avatar
 

Last Online: Oct 29th, 2018 08:16
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Coleraine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project239X View Post
I'm still waiting for my new Volvo to arrive, currently I have an old V40 2.0 but I'm excited about my new 2008 V50 R Design D5. I keep seeing comments about how good the 2.0D engine is, what should I expect from my D5?
Waves of torque, best sounding diesel on the road, blistering acceleration and all while returning decent mpg. Expect to be blown away...
__________________
'04 V50 1.8 s
Previously owned
'08 S40 D5 R-design Sport

KEEP 'ER LIT!
stevo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2011, 19:44   #25
voldo
New Member
 

Last Online: Apr 30th, 2013 15:14
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Engerland
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo83 View Post
Waves of torque, best sounding diesel on the road, blistering acceleration and all while returning decent mpg. Expect to be blown away...
lol, slightly exaggerrated, not biased are we!

I would say, as much torque as you would need, some turbo lag, a nice sounding diesel (not as nice as the BMW ones, sorry!) decent acceleration, better than most other standard diesel cars around (mapped 2.0 onwards VAG stuff will be as quick if not slightly quicker, but there is always a bigger fish and you can always map the D5 to match) but not T5 or any other turbo petrol hot hatch quick. and yes decent Mpg, should see around 40mpg!

oh and cheap/flimsy feeling and sounding exterior door handles on the rear doors!

you will be very pleased with the increase in every day drivablility and economy vs your petrol, but you might miss the higher rev range! If you cant have a T5, the D5 is the next best, possibly better if you are doing more miles!

Last edited by voldo; May 28th, 2011 at 19:50.
voldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2011, 20:00   #26
Daim
Brit in Germany
 
Daim's Avatar
 

Last Online: May 20th, 2019 20:55
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bremen
Default

Btw...

I'm due for my 120k km (75k miles) service next week... Still on my first set of brake discs and pads and they have a lot of meet on them yet...

I'm hoping to get to 160k km (100k miles) on the first set - and I drive quite a lot around towns with stop and go traffic...
__________________
The best nation is imagination!
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2011, 21:22   #27
stevo83
Living legend
 
stevo83's Avatar
 

Last Online: Oct 29th, 2018 08:16
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Coleraine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voldo View Post
lol, slightly exaggerrated, not biased are we!

I would say, as much torque as you would need, some turbo lag, a nice sounding diesel (not as nice as the BMW ones, sorry!) decent acceleration, better than most other standard diesel cars around (mapped 2.0 onwards VAG stuff will be as quick if not slightly quicker, but there is always a bigger fish and you can always map the D5 to match) but not T5 or any other turbo petrol hot hatch quick. and yes decent Mpg, should see around 40mpg!

oh and cheap/flimsy feeling and sounding exterior door handles on the rear doors!

you will be very pleased with the increase in every day drivablility and economy vs your petrol, but you might miss the higher rev range! If you cant have a T5, the D5 is the next best, possibly better if you are doing more miles!
Maybe a bit! I do love mine! Turbo lag, yes, but if you're driving it right you can eliminate it not too bad. Also dpf delete and remap help get rid of it and yes the rear doors do sound flimsy, which is weird considering how thick they are! But as far as the noise goes I prefer the 5cyl Volvo to the 6cyl BMW. Love that growl, but that's personal preferance I suppose!

Oh and I'm returning closer to 45mpg. Doing a fair few long runs though.
__________________
'04 V50 1.8 s
Previously owned
'08 S40 D5 R-design Sport

KEEP 'ER LIT!
stevo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2011, 22:11   #28
faffi
Motorcyclist
 

Last Online: May 14th, 2015 22:34
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Stavanger
Default

Speaking of BMW diesels - a bloke at work had his 530D from 04 tuned to nearly 300 hp. Went OK
faffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2011, 20:02   #29
stevo83
Living legend
 
stevo83's Avatar
 

Last Online: Oct 29th, 2018 08:16
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Coleraine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by faffi View Post
Speaking of BMW diesels - a bloke at work had his 530D from 04 tuned to nearly 300 hp. Went OK
Right up to the point the inlet manifold disintegrates and gets sucked into the engine...
__________________
'04 V50 1.8 s
Previously owned
'08 S40 D5 R-design Sport

KEEP 'ER LIT!
stevo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 23:23   #30
t5_monkey
Monkeying Around
 
t5_monkey's Avatar
 

Last Online: Mar 13th, 2016 21:05
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: York
Default

Diesels might be ok...

but I've got about 320-330lb-ft at 2500 rpm (276lb-ft at the wheels) ... and mine revs to 6500 rpm clean Diesel can't compete with that combination of sound, revs and torque.

I just go LA LA LA when they talk about fuel economy!
__________________


Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey
t5_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 14:34.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.