Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Snapped allen key head in caliper bolt

Views : 1483

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 18th, 2019, 11:05   #11
D3GGY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Ferrigno View Post
It looks to me as if all that has happened is the Allen Key has snapped off in the recess of the sliding pin.
The sliding pin is not damaged so there should be no drilling or tapping necessary to the pin.
All that is necessary is to get the small piece of Allen Key out, so that a new and better quality Allen Key can then be used.
The suggestions of a magnet, epoxy or tiny drill to retrieve the piece all seem good to me and worth a try
I suspect that if the Allen key has snapped its done it for a reason, the pin is seized solid. 7mm Allen keys generally don’t snap. I am surprised that this went before the thread though as the thread root will be smaller (marginally) Can’t remember if the pin has an 8 or 10mm thread.
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 19:27   #12
kenny
Master Member

I will not be easy drilling either the snapped head or the bolt, they will both be hardened to do their jobs.
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 19:41   #13
lockstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny View Post
I will not be easy drilling either the snapped head or the bolt, they will both be hardened to do their jobs.
It's a good point, car is probably a write off
lockstock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lockstock For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 19:47   #14
D3GGY

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockstock View Post
LOL

No its not you can get the callipers assembly off if you remove the complete assembly. If you cant drill it out yourself any decent machine shop will be able to do it. At worse its a new calliper.
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 19:52   #15
kenny
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockstock View Post
Are new callipers that expensive these days?
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 19:57   #16
lockstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3GGY View Post
LOL

No its not you can get the callipers assembly off if you remove the complete assembly. If you cant drill it out yourself any decent machine shop will be able to do it. At worse its a new calliper.
jesus sarcasm is lost on you people haha
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 20:09   #17
Zebster
Upstanding Member

I can't see why anything needs drilling out, nor how you would even drill out the snapped off end of an Allen key.
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 20:18   #18
lockstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
I can't see why anything needs drilling out, nor how you would even drill out the snapped off end of an Allen key.
I had to do something similar once. Centre punch the nub. Drill in with a small hardened hss. Then go larger, and larger again. left with a polo.. you can use a hammer and an old flat head or punch to colapse in the edges and it will come out easily. Still the possibiloty to then dislodge the bolt with an impact wrench

The reason being, this will be less work, if it works than removing the whole assembly, and accessing a workshop with a pilar drill to drill out the whole nut and retap the whole....

Having said that, a whole new caliper and carrier don't cost much second hand, so maybe just grind it off, put on a new one and bleed the brakes......
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 20:39   #19
Zebster
Upstanding Member

If you tip it up it might even fall out... Or it might need a few taps with a hammer to loosen it. And then the bolt can be undone with a decent hex wrench. Storm in a teacup!
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 20:52   #20
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Hands up, I misinterpreted what I was looking at and should have read it properly. I was wrong!!!!

I thought that the head of the Allen Bolt slider has sheared off hence why I said the slider would need drilling out from the back.

Now that I can see that it is actually the allen key that has sheared in the allen bolt head , that should be way easier to fix.

Apologies to all.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:

Tags
bolt, snapped