Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Centre Console Tear Down (image heavy)

Views : 1128

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 13th, 2019, 22:32   #1
JoeNinety

Default Centre Console Tear Down (image heavy)

Mine looked different!

The HU-850 is not working and the previous owner had fitted a Nokia Bluetooth Phone thing I wanted to rip out. I had enjoyed reading through the Haynes manual for my car year on how to remove the audio unit and climate control, and also the videos available for how to do this. Set about it this morning, then I realised, mine looked different! (Can someone tell me what i have ? Is it P2 facelift ?)

I had a trim surrounding the units, therefore nothing to start pulling out at the bottom. Oh well, set to it. it should all come clear....

1. Get Ready

Using a flat bladed tool (my preferred weapon of choice is an old bone handled table knife), prise up the rear of the gear lever trim (1) and then ease the trim up and out. Turn ignition to position 2 and put foot on brake(if Auto) and move the gear level as far back as possible (for me to the L position) (2). Now disconnect the battery - need to do this on the advice that pulling the Climate Control plug will generate an SRS fault.

2. Looking at the bottom of the centre console now exposed, you should see two screws. Undo and remove these Torx 25. You will find that you can wobble the lower half, but the thing is not ready to come out. Using your flat bladed tool, work around the edges of the outer trim and the fascia, there are two clips on each side that need to be released. While doing this gently wiggly and pull outwards until you feel all is released. Further wiggling, pull down and out and with luck the whole thing will come loose and outwards. Now you are glad you moved the gear lever back. It then became clear that everything was contained in a plastic casing, and other than the cover over the switches, I was unable to get anything else to move, in-situ.

In image screws are on the inner arrows (unit upside down on bench)

Outer Trim Reference

3. You will need to unplug things now. The accessory socket plug will possibly undo itself, if not pull it away. next release the climate control plug, this has a clip on the underside (most difficult place to get at as usual ) - you may need to get a tool in there to release. Then the three on the audio unit, the main plug, the amp socket and the aerial socket. You can then lift the whole thing out of the car and retreat to the comfort of the kitchen table. (leave at least one door open or ajar - you never know...)

Sockets and Wires
1.Audio
2.Aerial
3.Amplifier
4.Climate
5.Accesory

4. Remove Outer Trim - things become much clearer once you have the unit on the bench. The outer trim is secured by clips around the sides and three screws along the top (which also secure the audio unit) Undo these. torx 25, release the clips and the outer trim should come away.

5. Switch Unit and Climate Control - this is all one thing, there are two big clips on the left side and one on the right, but there are also two screws at the rear which need to be undone, and two at the bottom which also undo rearwards (outer arrows in image). Then the climate/switch unit can be removed.

Left Side Clips - only one on the right

(unit upside down on bench)

6. Cupholder - just push on the locating tab (arrowed) at the back and the cupholder should fall out

7. Audio Unit - having removed the three screws along the top, there are two clips either side (you may need two flat bladed tools to do one side at a time) to release then the audio unit c/w cupholder can be removed

8. Inspect, clean, admire !!

HU-850

Climate and Switch Unit

Cupholder

9. Reinstallation
Very much a reverse of removal. When fitted the whole unit back into the fascia, it will require some wiggling and pushing to get it into place

10. Outcomes

Nokia Bluetooth thing all removed
HU-850 still doesn't work (won't tune stations, not sound from CD player, banging and popping occasionally) - deciding atm on replacing with same or going after market.....

Hopefully all this is useful to someone
Have VIDA & VXDIAG NANO on W10Pro - happy to help

Last edited by JoeNinety; Jun 13th, 2019 at 23:16.
JoeNinety is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JoeNinety For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 14th, 2019, 02:43   #2
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

can you do a teardown of the centre console / armrest I couldnt figure out how to remove mine. (s60 2007)
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2019, 10:28   #3
JoeNinety

Taking the front seats out today, so might be tempted to have a go at the arm rest too
Have VIDA & VXDIAG NANO on W10Pro - happy to help
JoeNinety is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeNinety For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 14th, 2019, 11:56   #4
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

some fcker nicked my seats lol. (swapped out my factory sport black heated leather seats and left me with cream, non heated ones) then sold me the car
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2020, 11:14   #5
S60HUB

Old thead I no but thanks mate helped me get mine out did you ever sort it central services seem to be the best bet it seems the central chip in the hu goes
S60HUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2020, 16:52   #6
Jazbee

Thanks for that, saved me much head scratching and swearing 👍😄

Just an addition to point 9. Reinstalling..... lift and gently turn the panel at the gearstick 90 degrees, gives you better access to get the unit back in and also note that there is a channel in the top of the plastic case which you need to position in at a slight angle to allow the lip to locate in the channel then push in at the bottom to locate and reinstall the 2 x T25 screws.
XC70 D5 SE Lux 2007
V70 D5 SE 2008
Jazbee is offline   Reply With Quote