Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Some questions about s40 d5 I'm considering to get

Views : 859

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 15th, 2019, 06:49   #11
Benholder90

Thanks everyone for the replies much appreciated .. still thinking to go and see it today .. I'm impatient to wait for another one to come up .. and may not find another one at this price .. this one is a cat c has been damaged at some point but looks all ok

Another one has just come up it's a 2008 d5 sport 187k miles dealer listing as Px to clear for 1495

What everyone think about this? Mileage Is pretty high right
Benholder90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 06:59   #12
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benholder90 View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies much appreciated .. still thinking to go and see it today .. I'm impatient to wait for another one to come up .. and may not find another one at this price .. this one is a cat c has been damaged at some point but looks all ok

Another one has just come up it's a 2008 d5 sport 187k miles dealer listing as Px to clear for 1495

What everyone think about this? Mileage Is pretty high right
All cat c cars are described as having had ‘a nock on the door - stupid insurance companies lol’.

Truth be told if you arrange an inspection it has probably been smacked really hard and will be easy for a pro to show the damage.

Cat c is a much more serious category than. At d. Unless you are a professional and really know what you are doing walk away.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 07:04   #13
Benholder90

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
All cat c cars are described as having had ‘a nock on the door - stupid insurance companies lol’.

Truth be told if you arrange an inspection it has probably been smacked really hard and will be easy for a pro to show the damage.

Cat c is a much more serious category than. At d. Unless you are a professional and really know what you are doing walk away.
Well yes I'm not a professional.. the owner says hes had it for a year and got it from.a family friend who had it for 2 years before that and the owner before had an accident

Hes sent me few videos of it and it seems fine .. thata why I was onsidering to go and see it
Benholder90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 15:24   #14
Yobbo
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benholder90 View Post
I didn't understand this could you explain?
They usually aren't expensive, but Volvo seem to have capitalised on the fact that these item are a known failing point on the P1 platform 5-cylinder engines.
Aftermarket are hit and miss in terms of vibration and in my experience it is always the longer R/H side driveshaft. I believe - and this is my theory, to be something to do with the weight of the components used.

I'm running motorsport driveshafts on mine which vibrate marginally at around 20mph before smoothing out.
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 16:43   #15
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobbo View Post
They usually aren't expensive, but Volvo seem to have capitalised on the fact that these item are a known failing point on the P1 platform 5-cylinder engines.
Aftermarket are hit and miss in terms of vibration and in my experience it is always the longer R/H side driveshaft. I believe - and this is my theory, to be something to do with the weight of the components used.

I'm running motorsport driveshafts on mine which vibrate marginally at around 20mph before smoothing out.
I don't think they are capitalising on it , they are the very best drive shafts , they have cost about £350 each for all the models since the 850 came out , so you could say with inflation they have been getting less costly in real terms as the years go by . i wouldn't say the S40/V40/C30 D5 ( or any other engine ) suffer from known driveshaft failures unless they have been run with a damaged boot clip and let water in . There was a faulty batch of front driveshafts which rattled back when the XC60 was launched but apart from that Volvo driveshafts are very reliable .
Old Jun 17th, 2019, 08:50   #16
Yobbo
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
I don't think they are capitalising on it , they are the very best drive shafts , they have cost about £350 each for all the models since the 850 came out , so you could say with inflation they have been getting less costly in real terms as the years go by . i wouldn't say the S40/V40/C30 D5 ( or any other engine ) suffer from known driveshaft failures unless they have been run with a damaged boot clip and let water in . There was a faulty batch of front driveshafts which rattled back when the XC60 was launched but apart from that Volvo driveshafts are very reliable .
I'm not insinuating a conspiracy though it very much seems like one!
Same with the corresponding Ford Focus ST225 shafts which are identical to the Volvo P1 platform 5-cylinder manual transmissions cars - they are or at least we're produced by GKN.

In my experience and that echoed by countless others in Volvo and Ford circles, the shafts do suffer premature failure exempt of contamination from split CV boots. The common theme is the offside inner-CV going and affects more so cars which are lower and or running higher power than standard.
Again to remark on the wider collective - the genuine shafts albeit a relative fortunate for what they are, are agreed to be the highest quality.
Old Jun 17th, 2019, 09:27   #17
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobbo View Post
I'm not insinuating a conspiracy though it very much seems like one!
Same with the corresponding Ford Focus ST225 shafts which are identical to the Volvo P1 platform 5-cylinder manual transmissions cars - they are or at least we're produced by GKN.

In my experience and that echoed by countless others in Volvo and Ford circles, the shafts do suffer premature failure exempt of contamination from split CV boots. The common theme is the offside inner-CV going and affects more so cars which are lower and or running higher power than standard.
Again to remark on the wider collective - the genuine shafts albeit a relative fortunate for what they are, are agreed to be the highest quality.
In my experience working with them on a daily basis since they were launched in 2004 , drive shaft wear is almost unheard of , even after 100.000 miles , maybe you give yours a hard time .

I would not be surprised if the Ford driveshafts were more expensive , Ford people come to volvo to buy certain parts as they are cheaper !
Old Jun 17th, 2019, 17:17   #18
Yobbo
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
In my experience working with them on a daily basis since they were launched in 2004 , drive shaft wear is almost unheard of , even after 100.000 miles , maybe you give yours a hard time .

I would not be surprised if the Ford driveshafts were more expensive , Ford people come to volvo to buy certain parts as they are cheaper !
Not to further digress the original topic of the thread, and in respect your experience as a Volvo mechanic - the driveshafts are known for failing from what I have experienced and observed, it is well acknowledged in the Volvo and Ford community... This is prevalent on the C30/S40/V50/C70 - T5/D5/D4/D3 and Focus ST225 using the M66 box when the car is fitted with sports lowering springs/coilovers and running higher than standard power.

I try not to give mine a hard time.