Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Brake advice please

Views : 1963

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 15th, 2019, 09:11   #41
Billggski

My point was not that Brembo are inferior to Volvo parts, but that putting that name on a box of cheap discs is much more attractive to a counterfeiter. You can buy Adidas tops very cheaply at our local market, are they genuine?
Billggski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 17:03   #42
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
You're missing the point - we all know that most car manufacturers don't make every part for their cars - but many parts made for them by other manufacturers are often made to a specific specification that cannot be sold by the factory other then to the manufacturer. Brake pads are a prime example of this - you can only buy Volvo spec brake pads from Volvo, nothing else is the same. Another point is Volvo do manufacture some of their brake discs themselves, including those for Mk1 XC90.

If you go to Tesco and buy their "finest" baked beans - Tesco dont have any factories and dont make anything, but you can't buy that product anywhere else...
If you go to a Volvo dealership & buy an oil filter, it will have a Volvo stamp on it with their part number & a stamp of the manufacturer that made it. So lets take the brand Mann as an example, which is a very reputable brand. Mann made filters for Volvo, their stamp (Mann) & their part number is on the filter that you just bought from the main dealer, as well as Volvo's part number & stamp.

So, you buy your filter from the main dealer & I go to a local parts store & buy the Mann filter in its own packaging, not Volvo packaging. Do you think the filter you bought from the main dealer is any different to the one I bought? How can it be? The one I bought in the local parts store was made by the company that supplied Volvo's in the first place. So how can it be any different in terms of quality?
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 17:39   #43
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
If you go to a Volvo dealership & buy an oil filter, it will have a Volvo stamp on it with their part number & a stamp of the manufacturer that made it. So lets take the brand Mann as an example, which is a very reputable brand. Mann made filters for Volvo, their stamp (Mann) & their part number is on the filter that you just bought from the main dealer, as well as Volvo's part number & stamp.

So, you buy your filter from the main dealer & I go to a local parts store & buy the Mann filter in its own packaging, not Volvo packaging. Do you think the filter you bought from the main dealer is any different to the one I bought? How can it be? The one I bought in the local parts store was made by the company that supplied Volvo's in the first place. So how can it be any different in terms of quality?
With filters, yes, the manufacturers part number verifies it is the same item, but filter media doesnt have performance parameters like brake pads for example, do.
Buy genuine pads, you may find manufacturer markings such as branding, and maybe but not always a part number. What you will find is that either there is no part number other than the vehicle manufacturers, or where the part manufacturer has their own part number applied, this will not match anything you can buy from the same manufacturer aftermarket.

Something like a filter or a wiper only has to do a pretty singular job to a fairly singular standard. Other items like brakes have many parameters, in particular ones that are experienced by the driver, such as feel, power, dust, longevity, etc, and are a carefully executed balance. The vehicle manufacturer will develop what they believe to be the perfect balance, and wish for this to only be available from them, thus, protect this by patent/license etc which prevents the part manuf. from using this particular product themselves.
Buying from that part manuf. though, may yield the closest product, since they know the formula and have been involved in the testing, they will know the nearest blend which can legally be used, they may even feel their blend is better, it may be more powerful, or less dusty, and so-on, or, it might be very close but just not quite as good.
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote