Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

P0244 Turbocharger Wastegate Solenoid

Views : 26413

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 12th, 2010, 09:38   #1
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

Default P0244 Turbocharger Wastegate Solenoid

hi all
p0244 pending code at the moment, could it be the turbo control valve thats sticking or on its way out.
mike
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 10:38   #2
carl4u44
Master Member

This is what im working on at the moment with mine. The fault was there when I obtained my car and was told the last owner changed this solenoid (with a second hand one). I have the old one in bits on my work table reverse technologising it.

The turbo, I believe only works when under vacume. The solenoid has a vacume when switched off. So when it spools up and reaches its safety limit, the solenoid valve is supposed to kick in, bypassing the vacume and creating normal atmospheric pressure, and thus limiting the waste gate in pulses. If it cant do this, due to a fault then it will throw up the code and go into limp mode.

This limp mode, engine service required, will reset after turning the car off or will dissappear when driving a short distance after.

If it where a split intercooler, blocked split tubes, there would be no boost or poor boost. The fact the its spooling up and pulling well untill it reaches that limit seems to indicate the solenoid fault. I presume thats what is happening with yourself?

The other solenoid on the air box works the opposite whilst on idle, to control the engine mounts, but I dont think this has anything to do with the wastegate solenoid. Athough it only shares a vacume tube from the vacume pump but even still its only t pieced off from the vac to the wastegate solenoid it so cant be related. If there were no vac there would be no boost.

Further to note, the vacume solenoid looks to be an electro magnetic type, with a diaphram in it and three valves/ports which are vac in, vac out and atmospheric.

Last edited by carl4u44; Jul 12th, 2010 at 10:57.
carl4u44 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carl4u44 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 10:47   #3
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

i have just had the IC changed,and as you have said the turbo spools up .the issue that i have noted is that there is slow response untill the turbo kicks in.
could you point me in the direction of the solenoid.at the moment its only pending
thanks
mike
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 10:55   #4
RAN60
Master Member

If your having slow response on turbo spooling check your engine pads, one at the front by the rads and one at the back near the turbo.

When i bought my D5 the clutch had been done previously and it looked like the mechanic either forgot or couldnt be bothered to connect the vaccum pipe back up to the rear engine pad.

For 3 months i was running with next to no low end power and a really laggy turbo.

Basically withouth a complete vaccum the variable nozzle on the turbo doesnt adjust properly and will only spool up at higher levels giving a dissapointing and quite scary turbo lag and sudden burst of power.

After it was connect...What a difference!! turbo can be heard spooling up from just below 1000rpm and the take off is so much smoother!

Hope this helps maybe a problem you have?
RAN60 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RAN60 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 11:02   #5
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAN60 View Post
If your having slow response on turbo spooling check your engine pads, one at the front by the rads and one at the back near the turbo.

When i bought my D5 the clutch had been done previously and it looked like the mechanic either forgot or couldnt be bothered to connect the vaccum pipe back up to the rear engine pad.

For 3 months i was running with next to no low end power and a really laggy turbo.

Basically withouth a complete vaccum the variable nozzle on the turbo doesnt adjust properly and will only spool up at higher levels giving a dissapointing and quite scary turbo lag and sudden burst of power.

After it was connect...What a difference!! turbo can be heard spooling up from just below 1000rpm and the take off is so much smoother!

Hope this helps maybe a problem you have?
thats a good point the clutch was done last week so thats a start point.
mike
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 11:15   #6
carl4u44
Master Member

Sounds like there is a vacume leak somewhere... Anyway the pipes are easy to follow.

From the airbox is a solenoid valve. On this one tube goes and t pieces off into the engine pads the other tube goes to the wastegate solenoid/t piece to vac pump. The waste gate solenoid is located at the front of the engine block just above the 12v starter. You will need to remove the large ic hose? to gain better access. Be carefull you done short yourself on the 12v starter if you do plan to remove the solenoid. From here follow both tubes from the wastegate solenoid and check it to the vacume pump (located near the fuel pump) and the other tube to the waste gate turbo.
carl4u44 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carl4u44 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 11:22   #7
RAN60
Master Member

outnumbered - Id definately be suspect of the rear engine pad vaccum pipe before replaceing anything else then, mainly beacause i know how much of a s*d it is to get on. Chances are the mechanic thought the same!! Its an "under the car, arms in places and positions the human body should never get or be in" job lol
RAN60 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RAN60 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 10th, 2015, 18:38   #8
citcx

Default Tubing..

Hi all,
Does anyone have the engine mounts and turbo actuator vacuum tubing sizes please, intercooler being changed this weekend so will change the vac tubing as well, maybe that will stop the P0244/limp/brown trouser mode...
On the good side I'm getting (indicated mind ) 52mpg, but then I've learned not to rev it too much.
Thanks
citcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2019, 08:15   #9
murphy007

Default wastegate solenoid

Hi all,

I am looking for a wastegate solenoid for a 2005 XC90 185bhp version.

Does anyone know the part number for this version? It seems to be different from the 163bhp one and I am totally lost!

Also, is this something I could fit myself? It is the boost that is gone and I got the P0244 error message!

Thanks all!!
murphy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2019, 13:58   #10
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy007 View Post
I am looking for a wastegate solenoid for a 2005 XC90 185bhp version.
The 185 doesn't have one.
Boost is controlled by an electronic servo attached to the turbo.