Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Losing coolant

Views : 4204

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 24th, 2011, 16:59   #1
js7799
250K and Counting

Default Losing coolant

Guess I should've expected issues with a car this age. Seems I'm losing coolant somewhere. I got a coolant light the other day, topped it off, and got the light again 4 days later. The reservoir isn't emptying completely, but it's dropping quite a bit. I had a sniff check done at my local MOT station, and there were no hydrocarbons in the coolant reservoir. I have no white or any other color smoke coming from the exhaust, so I'm thinking the HG is good. I will do a compression check tonight to make sure. The radiator was changed in 2008, so I wouldn't think it would be that. Guess the next thing I need is to pressure-test the cooling system. Any other thoughts or opinions?
2002 Volvo V70
2009 Volvo V70 SE 2.0
js7799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 17:19   #2
Darth Vol
Exploring Europe

have you checked for any perished piping in the engine bay?

mine ended up leaking under pressure when car was running.
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 17:21   #3
Andy Northface
Where's that 18mm socket?

Split expansion tank? I'm sure Andy ( Thanatos ) had this problem. I know you have a recent rad but a stone could have damaged it.

From my own experience............pin hole in the radiator which would only occurred after a motorway blast,or a knackered bottom hose clip that wasn't sealing properly.Or a faulty heater matrix,have you got wet carpets or trouble demisting?
Right,That's me out of ideas,anyone else?
Andy Northface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 18:07   #4
js7799
250K and Counting

Tonight I'm going to run it for awhile and see if there's any leaks under pressure. I haven't checked the carpets yet, but that's on the short-list. As for demisting, that doesn't seem to be a problem, although the windshield did fog up on me a bit the other day when conditions weren't really right for it. I'll keep you updated on what I find out.
2002 Volvo V70
2009 Volvo V70 SE 2.0
js7799 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to js7799 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 12:51   #5
coupebrett

i thought my head gasket was on its way out but i have recently noticed that if i turn my heating onto hot my windscreen and side windows steam up as well so im in the process of getting a new heater matrix. which should be fun to fit lol
coupebrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 13:12   #6
Andy Northface

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupebrett View Post
i thought my head gasket was on its way out but i have recently noticed that if i turn my heating onto hot my windscreen and side windows steam up as well so im in the process of getting a new heater matrix. which should be fun to fit lol
It's a very easy fix mate,couple of hours MAX!! The only thing is make sure you dry your carpets out and the foam underneath because they stay wet for a very long time! Also,If I was doing it again I would drain my system of coolant because even though I clamped the pipes off I still got a ton of water in the footwells.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...+heater+matrix

This is my thread which contains the original "how to thread by John C and also some tips on fitting,
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 13:26   #7
coupebrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy north face View Post
It's a very easy fix mate,couple of hours MAX!! The only thing is make sure you dry your carpets out and the foam underneath because they stay wet for a very long time! Also,If I was doing it again I would drain my system of coolant because even though I clamped the pipes off I still got a ton of water in the footwells.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...+heater+matrix

This is my thread which contains the original "how to thread by John C and also some tips on fitting,
thanks andy!
i will attempt it next weekend as i think the carpets are dry but it must have a very small hole somewhere as the steam is coming out the air vents lol
thanks for the tip with emptying out the coolant as well, as mine is quite dirty so it will give me a chance to renew that as well
coupebrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 15:03   #8
Andy Northface

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupebrett View Post
thanks andy!
i will attempt it next weekend as i think the carpets are dry but it must have a very small hole somewhere as the steam is coming out the air vents lol
thanks for the tip with emptying out the coolant as well, as mine is quite dirty so it will give me a chance to renew that as well
You need to look under the carpets and under the grey covering thingy because on mine it was the foam underneath that was wet.My carpets were dry.

Last edited by Andy Northface; Aug 25th, 2011 at 17:28.
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 15:09   #9
Lmason
L Mason

Cool volvo leeking coolent

it may not be the heater matrix, just the rubber o rings which attach to it, so id suggest checking the passanger side flore for being wet.

i done mine on my volvo s70 2 seater which is for sale, just for piece of mind.

to make it relyabel
Lmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 17:28   #10
Andy Northface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmason View Post
it may not be the heater matrix, just the rubber o rings which attach to it, so id suggest checking the passanger side flore for being wet.

i done mine on my volvo s70 2 seater which is for sale, just for piece of mind.

to make it relyabel
Forgot that one!
The Following User Says Thank You to Andy Northface For This Useful Post: