Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Re-coding Nav Unit

Views : 1465

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 24th, 2018, 20:44   #11
reggit
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theeggman View Post
He's the man /women / persons that sorts out c**p DIM's on here. Have a search on the forum for DIM issues. He / she / they know Volvo canbus etc.

Spokoluzik on this thread https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=143579
Old May 24th, 2018, 22:00   #12
CaptainSlow337

Thanks. Have dropped him a message.
CaptainSlow337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2018, 16:23   #13
CaptainSlow337

Just a quick update for those wondering (nobody I assume!)

I finally plugged the new unit into the car last night. Up popped the screen, which was a good start. I inserted a disc which the unit couldn't swallow correctly! Turns out the unit was faulty, so back to the seller it goes.

Anyone have a spare unit?
Old Aug 10th, 2018, 13:19   #14
CaptainSlow337

Further follow up. Original replacement unit refunded, and I purchased another. I've fitted this in the car today.

The screen pops up, it took a while to read the disc and seemed to get stuck on the "please wait" screen. I turned the car off and back on again and we have a partial success. Success in the sense that the unit works and it knows where I am on the map. Not a success in the fact the buttons on the remote or steering wheel don't seem to do anything, ie I cannot bring up the menu or close the unit down. A coding issue?
Old Aug 10th, 2018, 13:31   #15
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSlow337 View Post
Further follow up. Original replacement unit refunded, and I purchased another. I've fitted this in the car today.

The screen pops up, it took a while to read the disc and seemed to get stuck on the "please wait" screen. I turned the car off and back on again and we have a partial success. Success in the sense that the unit works and it knows where I am on the map. Not a success in the fact the buttons on the remote or steering wheel don't seem to do anything, ie I cannot bring up the menu or close the unit down. A coding issue?
Indeed it is , only the original unit will work on your car ,it's serial number is logged in the cars main computer and if they don't match it won't work . what is the problem with your old unit? you might be able to swap certain parts from the "new" one as long as the original board stays with the car ..
Old Aug 10th, 2018, 13:35   #16
CaptainSlow337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Indeed it is , only the original unit will work on your car ,it's serial number is logged in the cars main computer and if they don't match it won't work . what is the problem with your old unit? you might be able to swap certain parts from the "new" one as long as the original board stays with the car ..
Its in the land-fill.
Old Aug 10th, 2018, 13:37   #17
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Its in the land-fill.
you are doomed ! I could never throw something as expensive at that away especially with a board coded to your car in it ...
Old Aug 11th, 2018, 00:17   #18
Timmy1981

Hi
I know this won't help too much but I've just fitted the sat nav unit to my 2007 d5 I used a second hand loom which I wired in to the can bus in the REM and so far so good it all works well and I have no problem with coding of the units. Every part was purchased seperatly so in theory if there linked in to the security system they shouldn't work, it even appears in VIDA .

Tim
Timmy1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2018, 12:59   #19
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:

Likely a part number issue
The CAN bus commands for the button presses change from model year to model year.
The main difference in the different part numbers is the CAN bus command references, their priority in the entire communications system, and thus their addresses.

Zero response to buttons indicates a nav with a different part number from a different year vehicle

Start by getting a unit with the correct part number for your vehicle, as indicated in VIDA parts catalogue

And if you do have the correct part number - then it is likely to be faulty.

I trust you are aware of the nav systems diagnostic mode? However to bring that up you need to have a working remote or steering wheel controls - ie: button presses
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2018, 16:24   #20
CaptainSlow337

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
Likely a part number issue
The CAN bus commands for the button presses change from model year to model year.
The main difference in the different part numbers is the CAN bus command references, their priority in the entire communications system, and thus their addresses.

Zero response to buttons indicates a nav with a different part number from a different year vehicle

Start by getting a unit with the correct part number for your vehicle, as indicated in VIDA parts catalogue

And if you do have the correct part number - then it is likely to be faulty.

I trust you are aware of the nav systems diagnostic mode? However to bring that up you need to have a working remote or steering wheel controls - ie: button presses
Thanks for this. Useful stuff.

Rather than trying to find another unit, could this one not be coded to the car? The nav pops up and shows me on the map currently. The buttons and remote not working is the only issue it seems.

I wasn't aware of diagnostics, but as the buttons don't work I doubt it will work, but shall try!