Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Crazy cheap engine oil in Asda.

Views : 1125

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 21:16   #1
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Default Crazy cheap engine oil in Asda.

For anyone who might be interested, 5w30 fully synthetic oil is on sale in Asda for £3, 5l cans, I bought all 4 they had, that'll see me through about 3 years of oil changes I reckon, hell of a deal I thought, I know it says for VW engines but the specs seem ok so I can't see that it makes a lot of difference.
Old Jul 4th, 2019, 14:05   #2
magnuz
Ancient

Are we trying to wake the resident oil guru, who's not been here for a while ?
magnuz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to magnuz For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 4th, 2019, 14:38   #3
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

As magnuz commented, there are some people on here who are VERY knowledgeable on what is the correct oil to use, however, I'm sure what you've purchased will do good service in what is not the newest of engines (nothing bad about your car meant) just that all x40's are a few years past their prime by now.
Old Jul 4th, 2019, 15:59   #4
canis
Non Fragile

Bah, y'all take this too seriously. Given the perspective of "any oil is better than none", it's probably fine. What i mean is; Maybe there are differences, but they're too small to really be bothering with in the grand scheme of things.

Engines will wear no matter what oil you put in them. You could add ground unicorn horn mixture to the oil - it'll still wear eventually. It's a machine. When they break, you replace the parts.

I have no faith in these magic potions at all. All the silly detergents and this-n-that. I would hazard that 90% of it is all marketing bullshut.

Consider toothpaste. You got an entire aisle of toothpaste in ASDA, each promissing a plethora of different effects. But in reality - brushing your teeth with anything will help prevent decay, but they'll decay anyway in the end.

I ran my 1600 on 10/40W semi-synthetic for absolutely years, no ill effects whatsoever.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2019, 18:01   #5
CJL
Master Member

Have the got fill dates on them?

Might be old stock they are selling at a loss.
CJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2019, 18:22   #6
clarkey1984
Premier Member

I'm the same, oil is oil, provided it's the right grade or at least close, moreso on an engine that's approaching 190k, for that price you can't go wrong, and not old stock either as the manufacture date is 13/06/19, which is odd as to why it was so cheap, good enough for me though.
Old Jul 4th, 2019, 19:23   #7
bimmer49
Always listen & learn!

Whilst I am in the "any oil is better than low/no oil " camp:
I've switched to 0w30 for the sake of the drillings in my VVT! However changing my VVT did nothing for power, emissions or fuel consumption, just got rid of the idle "purr!

We're talking "old" engines here in this forum. Switch to later vehicles and "Low SAPS" oil is dedicated to later Euro 5 diesels in order to not block fine drillings particularly in the timing chain tensioner region. Many a Ford, Fiat or VM engine has failed from "any old oil will do" attitude.
Old Jul 4th, 2019, 21:36   #8
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL View Post
Have the got fill dates on them?

Might be old stock they are selling at a loss.
I purchased Castrol 0w30 from tesco in 2016. The oil was 4 pounds per 2.5l and I got enough to change every 6k from 40,000 to 100,000 miles (bottles and bottles).

I wrote to castrol to ask about sell by dates and was informed that stored in a cool dry area and upopened there is no expiry date but to agitate the container to mix before using.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2019, 22:21   #9
cheshired5
Premier Member

Oil (or anything else) doesn't become more correct if it's dirt cheap.

By that logic, a free barrel of waste beef dripping must also be acceptable. Oil is oil after all...... Apparently.
Old Jul 5th, 2019, 03:22   #10
Whyman
Premier Member

Possibly someone entered the wrong price an maybe it should have been £30?