Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

"Heavy" riding 850

Views : 1091

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 1st, 2004, 23:05   #1
codrusfire

I have a '93 850 GLT 2.5 20v auto saloon.

I drive it with care (she's getting on), but am becoming increasingly aware of the car's harsh ride.

She now crashes into every bump on the road and I find myself steering to avoid any road imperfection. On the last MOT the suspension was passed as OK with the exception of one of the front sway bar bushes that needed to be replaced. It's still a hard ride, but now it makes an occassional squeeling noise from the front when turning and going up the "up" ramp in the local multi storey carpark.

The ride is so harsh, I regularly go through lamp bulbs (tail & headlamp) : broken filaments due to impacts.

It's standard wheels and tyres. MOT station says shocks are OK. Any ideas ?.
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 01:43   #2
RedR

Start by checking your wishbone bushes on the front, along with the ball joints and track rod ends. Also look at your front top mounts. Are the front subframe mountings ok?

I wouldn't worry too much about the tyre squealing, most cars do that in Multi storeys.

You dont mention what kind of mileage the cars done, or when the last MOT was. I'd try and find a friendly tyre bay, and ask them if they can do an alignment check for you, and "Crowbar" all the mountings at the same time.

Cheers

Nigel 855R
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 11:24   #3
sholtby
Premier Member

Default RE:

Check to see if a spring or top mount has broken . Shocks should be OK as when they wear the ride tends to get softer. Bushing and balljoint wear would cause the car to wander but not make the ride harder I'd have thought.

Simon
sholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 01:39   #4
markas
VOC Member

Default RE:

Hi there,

As the guys have already mentioned in their posts there are several thing to attack.

Common problems which i rectified you may look at replacing.
I did both Ball joints as our car have seperate ones on the control arm.

The bushings are worth doing at the same time for the expence with the ball joints.

Next the upper rubber mounts especially the rear fail due to the originals were underengineered.

If you have had the shocks from original i would do them, I did mine at 8 years.

Also the anti-roll bar links are a common problem causing clocking noises on the front end.

Then check if there is any play in the trackrods.

just my experiences

mark
markas is offline   Reply With Quote