Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 D5 vs T8 Thoughts

Views : 2583

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 18th, 2019, 18:07   #21
DangerMUK
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDProFF View Post
I do not find mine crashy or floaty at any time, sometimes crashy (once) over speed bumps to fast, but on the whole I think the set up is pretty good, and better with polestar. (I have air suspension)

I do not have anything to compare to, never driven any other Volvos, but compared to my last car an AMG GLA 45 it Cleary is not as good road holding or handling, but that said it is better than I was expecting it to be, little more body roll of course, but you can corner and drive it pretty quick, I do not even find the steering a problem, lighter than the AMG, but positive and never thinking where it is or what it is going to do next.
On the plus side it is a much more comfortable ride than the AMG for sure.

I have read the posts in this thread, but there is no base line only peoples opinions, which is really not a guide for compare.

I might add, I was rather surprised how good the 21" wheels were noise and tramline wise was expecting them to be far worse, I had 19" winters on AMG, I have 19" winters on XC60 and drive is slightly worse as higher walled etc. but still surprisingly good for what a T8 is.

I have it set in low ride height and stiffer suspension ride in my most used mode "individual" I have made for myself.

If there is a difference of ride height and stiffness in a T8 between DP and Inscription that would make a fair bit of difference
From what Haldex says the air suspension on the R-Design Pro and Inscription Pro is identical unlike the standard springs.

So the only difference between our cars would be the slightly different alloy sizes. I think I need to try a T8 XC60 on Air Suspension with 21" wheels and see if its my wheels that are making it a bit crashy. The D5 XC60 with air suspension and 21" wheels on it feels a lot tauter and better controlled than mine but I'm guessing that's not entirely down to the wheels its probably also weight and weight location and drivetrain.

Possibly XC90
DangerMUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 19:27   #22
isleaiw
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by id5 View Post
To be honest I am not sure. It has been the subject of too many discussions with my wife. The XC60 is low mileage, has been faultless apart from one seat module cover that has come adrift, no bodywork marks, just a couple of stone chips. The default option would be to get a third part mechanical and electrical warranty and run it for another few years. There are many different makes of cars that would suit now that our children are all grown up so we may swap it about a bit this time around as jobs and lifestyle has changed. Although I would like a refined but full throated, fire breathing, beast for myself, I fear to take my wife around the different forecourts because on paper many cars could do what we need and I fear I could end up with a Citroen Cactus, the only car with the pricks on the outside.
We are definitely too quick to want to swap these days, latest tech / whizzy gadget or whatever drives that desire. I can say that not having kept any car for more than two years for ages....

I now have an Audi SQ5 petrol which currently ticks all my boxes - and I should aim to keep it longer. But I also have a station car to save it from the risks associated with 10 hours a day in that environment - and a bit of me thinks if that car is reasonably practical I could get a Jag XK8 as my weekend car...

Sometimes it’s easier when life puts constraints around what you need as this “want” lark gets dangerous..
isleaiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2019, 12:21   #23
id5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw View Post
We are definitely too quick to want to swap these days, latest tech / whizzy gadget or whatever drives that desire. I can say that not having kept any car for more than two years for ages....

I now have an Audi SQ5 petrol which currently ticks all my boxes - and I should aim to keep it longer. But I also have a station car to save it from the risks associated with 10 hours a day in that environment - and a bit of me thinks if that car is reasonably practical I could get a Jag XK8 as my weekend car...

Sometimes it’s easier when life puts constraints around what you need as this “want” lark gets dangerous..
Yes, the ‘need’ 'want' problem. I too have had a station car for ages, the last was a Peugeot that was just indefatigable. Now my role has changed and I needed a work car, hence the V40. The ‘want’ car is the fun bit but I do not want three cars. I would rather my wife had the newer as she does less miles and treats the cars with a lot more respect than I. The only problem is my wife would have the cheapest should could find that was reliable but my ‘want’ would be to put her in something far better. She calls me a car snob.
id5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2019, 14:40   #24
jonnyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw View Post

I now have an Audi SQ5 petrol
So sorry for that.

You know...Audi
Old Feb 19th, 2019, 14:51   #25
MaDProFF
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyu View Post
So sorry for that.

You know...Audi

I nearly bought an SQ5 a few years ago, it was diesel then, but it was for me a car that as soon as you sat in it, perfect. I went for AMG in the end, SQ5 was just too much in the end, and not Fast enough
Old Feb 19th, 2019, 22:10   #26
isleaiw
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyu View Post
So sorry for that.

You know...Audi
Before that I had an xc70... before that an A6 3.0 tdi - before that an XC60 and before that an e class estate... I like variety!

But the SQ5 does suit my needs perfectly.
Old Feb 19th, 2019, 22:16   #27
isleaiw
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDProFF View Post
I nearly bought an SQ5 a few years ago, it was diesel then, but it was for me a car that as soon as you sat in it, perfect. I went for AMG in the end, SQ5 was just too much in the end, and not Fast enough
I ordered a Macan GTS first but then decided to cancel and change for 3 reasons....

1. Cost - the Macan was 11k more to buy, and whilst residuals would be much better it just took it to the wrong side of feeling comfortable

2. Space - I don’t need a lot of space a lot of the time - butthe boot was very tight for a dog pen and back seat tight for older kids or my grandsons baby seat...

3. Image - I like to be discrete. The Audi lets me make decent progress without too much attention. Even telling people at work I had ordered the Macan got the wrong reaction.

I know the Macan would have driven better - but most of my mileage is up and down the motorway with a dog on board, and if I am doing more interesting roads I have company slowing me down.

I’ve looked again at the XC60 T8 for next time to move with the times, but a naughty v8 and a sensible station car seems more fun!
The Following User Says Thank You to isleaiw For This Useful Post: