Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Wants
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

alloys 740 gl

Views : 4038

Replies : 46

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 19th, 2011, 13:45   #41
ian2000t
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodgar
getting 15 inch wheels on the car with original 14 inch

is not an performance enhancement !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now who's talking rubbish? To get the same rolling circumference, the 15 wheels will have shallower side walls on the tyres, meaning less "flex" while cornering, which means you can take advantage of the tyre gripping properly, rather than flexing - providing the rest of your suspension components are ok. Steering will also be more responsive.

I went from 14's to lower profile 15's on my Triumph - better handling.
I went from 14's to lower profile 16's on my 740 - better handling.
I went from 13's to lower profile 15's on my Maestro - better handling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prufrock
Brodgar, he is a very knowledgeable asset to this forum
Sometimes, but he is by no means always correct. Neither is anyone else 100% correct all the time, but at least they don't put it forward in a fusion of ****-jousting and arrogance!!

1990 Volvo 760 GLE D24TIC ZF22 - 16psi, more fuel, Monark 293 nozzles, 40mm lower, Bilstein TCs, 24/19 ARBs, full Polybushed front, H&R spacers, 17" Titans. Running Veg oil/petrol mix.
Past: 1988 Volvo 740 B230E M46, 1991 Volvo 940 B230FB M47
ian2000t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 14:49   #42
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Ian2000t.
You seem to enjoy the"jousting"that you're seemingly criticising, and you consider yourself knowledgeable with reagrd to"handling": given your experience with a Volvo 740, a Triumph 2000 and a Maestro.
I was trying to calm things down as this thread about wheels had started to get out of hand - and has again thanks to YOU.
My opinion, for what it is worth, having owned the following(not in date order) - BMW 2002tii, Sierra RS Cosworth*, Audi UR Quattro*, Volkswagen Golf*(supercharged), Triumph TR6(2.7 Racetorations modified) - is based on having a little experience in the handling of various cars having spent time and money making mistakes when trying to improve things. That experience has also been enhanced by my Father, who over many years(60s,70s and more recently)spent sums of money improving cars: a Downton tuned MGBGT, a Blydenstein tuned original Opel Manta SR, Triumph 2000 MK2 Stag engined(all my Mothers), as well as owning exotics like a Jensen Interceptor(in the 70s)and Maserati Quattroporte(in the 60s).
The discussion about alloys and 740s came about because I'd mentioned that I felt a 740 with 14s could be improved simply(and at modest cost)by replacing the 14s with OEM 15s - improvement in the sense that the car would probably ride a little better and roll a little less due to the widening of the track-admittedly by an inch.
I recall when I had a 1986 BMW E23 728 daily driver back in 1994, I changed the standard fit 14s for OEM 15s and both ride and handling were improved: both sizes of wheel were incidentally fitted with the same tyre(Uniroyals).
The 740 is, as far as it's suspension is concerned is fairly crude, and on most owner's cars, pretty tired; as bushes, dampers roll bars etc would not be high on the list for replacement. Any discussion about handling on these cars is in absolute terms a little"academic". I have recently fitted a set of OEM 15x6 contemporary alloys on my 1986 744 2.3 and it has improved both ride and handling- however this car has only done 60k from new.
And of course good quality tyres will improve handling.
Read Gordon Murray on handling; assuming you know who he is, and look at any of the work by that English enginnering genius Colin Chapman.
I'm now getting down(off my soapbox)in the hope that the bickering might end...oh, there goes a flock of flying pigs.
Prufrock.
*owned new

Last edited by Prufrock; Jul 19th, 2011 at 14:55.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 23:11   #43
ian2000t
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prufrock View Post
Ian2000t.
You seem to enjoy the"jousting"that you're seemingly criticising, and you consider yourself knowledgeable with reagrd to"handling": given your experience with a Volvo 740, a Triumph 2000 and a Maestro.
I was trying to calm things down as this thread about wheels had started to get out of hand - and has again thanks to YOU.
My opinion, for what it is worth, having owned the following(not in date order) - BMW 2002tii, Sierra RS Cosworth*, Audi UR Quattro*, Volkswagen Golf*(supercharged), Triumph TR6(2.7 Racetorations modified) - is based on having a little experience in the handling of various cars having spent time and money making mistakes when trying to improve things. That experience has also been enhanced by my Father, who over many years(60s,70s and more recently)spent sums of money improving cars: a Downton tuned MGBGT, a Blydenstein tuned original Opel Manta SR, Triumph 2000 MK2 Stag engined(all my Mothers), as well as owning exotics like a Jensen Interceptor(in the 70s)and Maserati Quattroporte(in the 60s).
The discussion about alloys and 740s came about because I'd mentioned that I felt a 740 with 14s could be improved simply(and at modest cost)by replacing the 14s with OEM 15s - improvement in the sense that the car would probably ride a little better and roll a little less due to the widening of the track-admittedly by an inch.
I recall when I had a 1986 BMW E23 728 daily driver back in 1994, I changed the standard fit 14s for OEM 15s and both ride and handling were improved: both sizes of wheel were incidentally fitted with the same tyre(Uniroyals).
The 740 is, as far as it's suspension is concerned is fairly crude, and on most owner's cars, pretty tired; as bushes, dampers roll bars etc would not be high on the list for replacement. Any discussion about handling on these cars is in absolute terms a little"academic". I have recently fitted a set of OEM 15x6 contemporary alloys on my 1986 744 2.3 and it has improved both ride and handling- however this car has only done 60k from new.
And of course good quality tyres will improve handling.
Read Gordon Murray on handling; assuming you know who he is, and look at any of the work by that English enginnering genius Colin Chapman.
I'm now getting down(off my soapbox)in the hope that the bickering might end...oh, there goes a flock of flying pigs.
Prufrock.
*owned new
So to calm things you have a go at "jousting" yourself, while listing a lot of cars - err, congratulations, ?

If you re-read my post, there is no jousting. There is also no need for your over the top reply, unless you just felt like showing off for a bit? I am also not claiming to be a know-it-all about handling. All I am stating is that larger diameter wheels, with lower profile tyres will give (to a point) more grip, and I have given the basics of why that is the case to back up my theory. Further more I gave just 3 examples where I have personally changed the wheels to larger diameter and lower profile tyres, and I enjoyed the benefits of more grip and shaper handling. I am not pretending to be a know-it-all about handling - I am simply saying that my personal experience has been that this has been the case. There is no question of this.

My comments towards Brodgar I still feel are justified. I don't think there is the need for his arrogance. So what if Sunnyvic thought he knew something because that is what someone had told him to be true? Correct him by all means, but do it in a grown up way without all the arrogant comments, especially if he is then to state facts which are somewhat questionable..

1990 Volvo 760 GLE D24TIC ZF22 - 16psi, more fuel, Monark 293 nozzles, 40mm lower, Bilstein TCs, 24/19 ARBs, full Polybushed front, H&R spacers, 17" Titans. Running Veg oil/petrol mix.
Past: 1988 Volvo 740 B230E M46, 1991 Volvo 940 B230FB M47
ian2000t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ian2000t For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 08:04   #44
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Everyone, this thread has lost all recognition of the original topic, can we agree that it is now closed?

We shouldn't lose sight of the fact that the forum is not per se a social networking site, it is a Volvo enthusiasts forum.

Prufrock.

Last edited by Prufrock; Jul 20th, 2011 at 10:02.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 10:34   #45
sunnyvic
VOC Member

Default wheels

hello one and all can you all calm down i could have also listed cars of the sixties and seventies and early eighties and all mainly volvo,s i have always liked this particular maker of cars my favourite was a 1972 volvo 164 twin carb ,since my slapped wrist by two knowlageble members i have been told by a car club member that drago wheels 15x5.5j are quite suitable for the 740 please feel free to correct me if i am wrong,, calm down freind ian t i have already bowed to knowledge without being bad mannered, and thankyou pru frock for arbitration attemt, i feel this thread has run its course and should now come to a conclusion,,,.. best wishes to all members sunnyvic.
sunnyvic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sunnyvic For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 16:11   #46
brodgar
I've Been Banned

Default hmmmmmmmm

So, I mssed something-

hadnt looked on this thread for a day of two.

And the thread is still rolling on , yet unclarfied if it rollsw 14n inch or 15 inch.

=========================================

To Ian-- to accuse of arrogance is arrogant itself.

To you the same as to sunnyvic-- what can there be arrogant about technical facts.????

As to performance enhancement == perhaps we must define performanceenhancement.

What you describe I would qualify as improvement in handling.

==========================

I so much love this forum , where a simple advert leads to personal feuds.
brodgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 12:38   #47
brodgar
I've Been Banned

Default conclusive end of saga???

on the drivers door of my 740 there is an official sticker from volvo
regarding tyre pressures.
this is what it reads 185/70/r14

185/65/r15
195/60/r15
195/65/r15

So would volvo recommend tyrepressures on tyres/wheels that should not be fitted to one and the same car???

Explicitly there is a recommendation on 14 inch wheels/tyres AND 15 inch
for the same car.
brodgar is offline   Reply With Quote