Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

O/S/F spring broken

Views : 5517

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 4th, 2011, 22:38   #1
velocitysurfer

Angry O/S/F spring broken

Drove my s40 for the firs time in 1 1/2 weeks due to hols, and heard a clucking sound coming from the offside front which got worse the more I drove. Checked when I got back home and the off side front spring has broken.

Does anyone know who much it'll cost at a reasonable garage to change both springs? Drop links shouldn't be an issue as they were both changed last year when doing the top mounts.

I normally get the brother in law to do this sort of thing but I don't fancy driving 20miles (including motorway) to his house on a broken spring!!!

How do I find out which springs are fitted? It's a T4 but I know that there are many different suspensions options.
Old Aug 5th, 2011, 00:50   #2
Baffler
Premier Member

The code for the springs, fitted at time of manufacture, is at the bottom of the identification plate on the firewall/bulkhead - for example: 4AV 2AZ

They're approximately £90 each from Volvo. Try Rufe for a price.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Baffler For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 5th, 2011, 01:27   #3
40s
1.8 not GDI, T4 1.9cd

if you want to tackel it your self Jseaman did a fancastic guid on how change the springs and dampers step by step, it's in here somewhere,just do a seach worth the read, hope this helps,
40s is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 40s For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 5th, 2011, 13:00   #4
velocitysurfer

Got a couple of quotes from independant garages from between £120 and £150 per side all in - obviously not volvo parts.

One garage did want me to have the tracking done as well it an extra cost of £25, which IMHO is not needed. Needless to say that I'm not going there.

All the garages are stating that I need only have the broken side replaced, and don't need to have the pair replaced. I always thought that you should replace suspension parts in pairs (offside and nearside).

Thinking about it, the spring has gone on the side that had the new damper last year - this was done as part of my Brother in Law changing the top mounts. I wonder if its related!
Old Aug 5th, 2011, 13:03   #5
Dog_Book
Idiot

Not related and yes you change them in pairs

Busy pestering the poor sods here now
Dog_Book is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2011, 13:35   #6
Baffler
Premier Member

I agree with Dog_Book, replace them in pairs. Due to the nature of our roads the NS springs receive more abuse than the OS so it's only a matter of time before you'll need to replace the NSF. Plus, if you only replace the OSF spring it will effect the overall braking efficiency of the car as it will be stiffer than the old NSF spring.

If you disturb the suspension components it is adviseable to have the tracking checked. If they're going to charge 25 bucks for the tracking you may as well have a four wheel alignment carried out.

Not gospel, just my twopence worth

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2011, 14:09   #7
S40 Squared

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocitysurfer View Post
Drove my s40 for the firs time in 1 1/2 weeks due to hols, and heard a clucking sound coming from the offside front which got worse the more I drove. Checked when I got back home and the off side front spring has broken.

Does anyone know who much it'll cost at a reasonable garage to change both springs? Drop links shouldn't be an issue as they were both changed last year when doing the top mounts.

I normally get the brother in law to do this sort of thing but I don't fancy driving 20miles (including motorway) to his house on a broken spring!!!

How do I find out which springs are fitted? It's a T4 but I know that there are many different suspensions options.
Last month I paid £311 (inc VAT and 2 hours labour) for two new rear suspension springs on my 2004 S40 Sport. The work was done at an independent garage in Yorkshire and it took an hour to do each spring. I assume you will have similar suspension to the sport spec models so I would expect a similar price. The garage told me front suspension may damage cables/pipes whereas the rear wont.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Andy
S40 Squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2011, 15:38   #8
velocitysurfer

Its a 51 plate S40 T4, with it being an S or Sport depending on who your talk to!!

I shall have the pair done. My own common sense says to get them done in pairs.

Because of differing suspension set ups, I don't want one side being a "hard" spring, the other being "soft" for instance. I'm going to get the numbers off the VIN plate and phone up a volvo dealer later on today so that I can get the correct volvo part number. The indepent garage should then be able to get a match, I've already advised them that it has sports suspension.

The garage has said that they'll check the tracking but don't forsee it needing doing assuming it wasn't out in the first place.

It's booked in for Wednesday next week, until then I'm driving the wife's 2.0 HDI Piccasso with only 90BHP!!!!!
Old Aug 5th, 2011, 16:13   #9
Dog_Book
Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocitysurfer View Post
Its a 51 plate S40 T4, with it being an S or Sport depending on who your talk to!!

I shall have the pair done. My own common sense says to get them done in pairs.

Because of differing suspension set ups, I don't want one side being a "hard" spring, the other being "soft" for instance. I'm going to get the numbers off the VIN plate and phone up a volvo dealer later on today so that I can get the correct volvo part number. The indepent garage should then be able to get a match, I've already advised them that it has sports suspension.

The garage has said that they'll check the tracking but don't forsee it needing doing assuming it wasn't out in the first place.

It's booked in for Wednesday next week, until then I'm driving the wife's 2.0 HDI Piccasso with only 90BHP!!!!!
Get a quote from my local. R A Duncalson or whatever :P in Borrowash Derby.. see my threads they have taken mine on and off 3 times so far lol

Oh yeah, with springs if say no need to check tracking as they do not hold the suspension in line... shocks and lower arms etc then yes. Once my little knocking problem is sorted then im having mine tracked again as ive had new front coils, lower wishbone, all shocks so it def needs doing.

Busy pestering the poor sods here now
Dog_Book is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2019, 19:28   #10
rabbitrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog_Book View Post
Get a quote from my local. R A Duncalson or whatever :P in Borrowash Derby.. see my threads they have taken mine on and off 3 times so far lol

Oh yeah, with springs if say no need to check tracking as they do not hold the suspension in line... shocks and lower arms etc then yes. Once my little knocking problem is sorted then im having mine tracked again as ive had new front coils, lower wishbone, all shocks so it def needs doing.
When changing the front springs you should always check the tracking afterwards because you have to remove the strut to change the spring.
240 GLE 2.3 Estate, 740 GLE 2.3 Estate, 440 Turbo, 760 GLE 2.8 (V6) Estate
rabbitrr is offline   Reply With Quote