Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

"Low Beam Bulb Failure" Factory Bi Xenon Issues

Views : 5141

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 3rd, 2016, 06:35   #21
kwills

This is the kit I have been looking at ( 252083706908 ).. it looks identical to the one the other guy is selling. It will be great if it is plug and play
kwills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2016, 08:45   #22
BJB

That kit is for NO Canbus system, so might cause more wiring problems. Have asked the Mod kit about connecting to existing wiring, awaiting reply.
BJB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BJB For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 3rd, 2016, 09:06   #23
BJB

Quote from Mod kit person;
Very simple and easy job to do. Kit connects to lights on live and chassis earth in existing ballast power feed plug.. everything required is supplied in the kit including full instructions, wiring diagram and pictorial walkthrough .. cheers Iain 07957 891640
I think it could be worth a try, as others appear to be fitting them and not complaining. Especially the price compared to original.
Old Nov 3rd, 2016, 09:29   #24
BJB

Also just sent me...
Also this kit replaces both the ballast and igniter saving a massive amount on OEM parts .. both can fail at same time so this is a very effective repair kit

On 03/11/2016, 08:35, pelham89 wrote:

Details about the item: pelham89 sent a message about Factory Fitted Xenon Repair Kit HID Ballast kit D2 replacement For Volvo #380321160225

Hi, will these kits plug straight into EXISTING wiring , or what alterations need to be done. Thanks
Old Nov 3rd, 2016, 10:05   #25
kwills

Thanks BJB, I have gone ahead an ordered it. I don't think this one is CANBUS because Xenons are standard on my ECU. I did speak to Iain who said:

The Canbus system on your car is already setup for a 35w 85v hid ballast and igniter... any error on dash you have at present will because what is there at the moment is faulty. In the OBD2 menu of the ecu it is listed as "Xenons Present" so it expects a 35w load..... you are going to be replacing like for like with regards to load characteristics so the error message should go away after a couple of ignition cycles with the ballast and igniter replaced. Cheers iain
Old Nov 3rd, 2016, 10:06   #26
kwills

I may just order the non canbus version kit as well for 35 quid and do the other side and put a guide together.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwills For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 3rd, 2016, 12:34   #27
BJB

Sorry , yet another update from mod kit chap, some might be interested in....
Hopefully for you, its the last post from me on this problem

No Worries at all, thanks. Info for Forum members we have been doing these for over 8 years now. Some garages are unaware of how to do them and give people bad advice saying that only oem parts will work and in some cases refusing to fit the aftermarket repair kit resulting in massive expense of over £400 or even in excess of £900 as some marques only sell the complete headlight. We have been out to some garage workshops and shown mechanics how easy it is to do and they are gobsmacked at how simple it really is :-).. Yes just sending and order out to a Volvo owner today.. Thanks again, iain
Old Nov 4th, 2016, 15:27   #28
kwills

Does anyone know what colour wires Volvo use for positive and negative? Specifically for a Volvo C30 low beam headlight. It's not red or black. There are actually 8wores going into the ballast and 8 coming out so god only knows what the other 6 do?
Old Nov 4th, 2016, 21:50   #29
BJB

From what I can make out from the diagrams (if loaded) is either Green/Orange,or Green/Black for O/S & N/S Live. Black is earth. But someone with better electrical knowledge will be able to tell you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2016-11-04-21-26-58.jpg (85.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2016-11-04-21-18-51.jpg (50.9 KB, 9 views)
Old Nov 4th, 2016, 21:55   #30
kwills

Thanks BJB.. I have emailed the guy to see if he can help. I will get the arch off tomorrow to see if I can make sense of it.