Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo C70 Petrol mpg questions

Views : 1073

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 17th, 2018, 11:19   #1
TheMajor

Default Volvo C70 Petrol mpg questions

Hey all,

I currently do not own a Volvo, I missed out on a C30 a few years ago and regret it. I am in need of a new car and I am looking at a C70. I am looking solely at petrol C70s and I drive 15 miles each way to work and mostly on motorways and country roads (nothing regular in town).

I have Googled and read a lot but searching the forum does not turn up many results. I am looking for some first hand experience.

It seems that both the 2.4i and T5 return the same or very similar fuel economy, is this correct? However, it seems that the biggest difference is between manual and automatics but how much of a difference does it make? (Tax is also cheaper on the manual).

Does anybody have any experience of the 2.4 or t5 in manual?

(I know they are not going to be the most efficient cars but I just want to know what I am getting into before purchasing, the autos seem much easier to find).
TheMajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 12:48   #2
iainmd

The T5 is the better bet all-round. You'll get about the same mpg from both engines but about 50bhp more from the T5 and a lot more torque.

The 2.4i will feel a bit lazy in a car with the weight of the C70.

My S40 T5 did about 29-30mpg but is a much lighter car so expect maybe 27/28mpg on average from a C70 if you do a reasonable mix of driving.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 13:30   #3
TheMajor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmd View Post
The T5 is the better bet all-round. You'll get about the same mpg from both engines but about 50bhp more from the T5 and a lot more torque.

The 2.4i will feel a bit lazy in a car with the weight of the C70.

My S40 T5 did about 29-30mpg but is a much lighter car so expect maybe 27/28mpg on average from a C70 if you do a reasonable mix of driving.
Interesting, was your S40 an auto or manual?

I am used to about 32 to 37mpg in my MX5. It struggled at 70mph sitting at 3,500-4,000 rpm.
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 15:13   #4
Sysyphus

I have a C70 T5 Auto.

On my 10 mile suburban road up and downhill, traffic lights and stop sign ridden commute I get a touch less than 20mpg. I guess I could get it a little better if I didn’t insist on making sure I have no cobwebs in the turbocharger and encouraging most of the 225 horses to have a least a little bit of a canter on every run, but I didn’t buy the car to save me a few cents on the way to work every day

Once I get out on the highway cruising at 75-80ish I get to 30mpg, sometimes a bit beyond.

Those are US gallons, so in English those numbers translate to 25/37 mpg
Sysyphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 16:14   #5
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Here's my two pence:

The difference in fuel consumption between my heavier 2.0T S60 (177bhp) and my lighter S40 T5 (227bhp) is extremely noticeable.

There's a 50bhp/80nm difference between the two, which is very similar to the 2.4i/T5 comparison being made. I know that 2.4i engine is also offered in the S60/V70, and it returns slightly better MPG than the 2.0T.

I've found that I can thrash the 2.0T around town and fuel economy remains just about acceptable. And If I drive it economically (virtually never do this) then mpg climbs nicely to around 30mpg. The conclusion is that I can afford to run this car, and having commuted in it for nearly 4 years, I'm very accustomed to it's mpg.

Whereas the 2.5 T5 is terrible on fuel all of the time, no matter how you drive it. To the point where I'm questioning whether I can afford to run it as a daily driver. Same as the S40 T5 I had around 10 years ago..really heavy on juice.

However, the up side is that there is a huge raft of tuning available for this engine, and even heavyweight C70 could be made into a rocketship with some of the mods available... K16 turbo kits etc.

I wouldn't buy this engine if I wasn't going to tune it... seems like it burns through fuel as if it has 300bhp.

Last edited by T5R92011; Sep 17th, 2018 at 16:17.
T5R92011 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 17:37   #6
iainmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMajor View Post
Interesting, was your S40 an auto or manual?

I am used to about 32 to 37mpg in my MX5. It struggled at 70mph sitting at 3,500-4,000 rpm.
Mine was manual. I'm not keen on Volvo's auto boxes. Perfectly reliable but 5 gears is properly old school.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 18:05   #7
TheMajor

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post
Here's my two pence:

The difference in fuel consumption between my heavier 2.0T S60 (177bhp) and my lighter S40 T5 (227bhp) is extremely noticeable.

There's a 50bhp/80nm difference between the two, which is very similar to the 2.4i/T5 comparison being made. I know that 2.4i engine is also offered in the S60/V70, and it returns slightly better MPG than the 2.0T.

I've found that I can thrash the 2.0T around town and fuel economy remains just about acceptable. And If I drive it economically (virtually never do this) then mpg climbs nicely to around 30mpg. The conclusion is that I can afford to run this car, and having commuted in it for nearly 4 years, I'm very accustomed to it's mpg.

Whereas the 2.5 T5 is terrible on fuel all of the time, no matter how you drive it. To the point where I'm questioning whether I can afford to run it as a daily driver. Same as the S40 T5 I had around 10 years ago..really heavy on juice.

However, the up side is that there is a huge raft of tuning available for this engine, and even heavyweight C70 could be made into a rocketship with some of the mods available... K16 turbo kits etc.

I wouldn't buy this engine if I wasn't going to tune it... seems like it burns through fuel as if it has 300bhp.
Thank you, I have no plans to mod the car at all. It will be a cruiser and just for getting around. I do not have a heavy foot but I like enough power to just get about without issue. I am going to have to think of the T5, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmd View Post
Mine was manual. I'm not keen on Volvo's auto boxes. Perfectly reliable but 5 gears is properly old school.
Thanks again. Same here. I like a manual.
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 13:10   #8
FredGraham

Thumbs up My Car a C70 T5 SE Lux

Just to add to the more experienced views that have been posted. I bought my T5 on 1st Feb 2018. I previously owned a C70 2.0ltr coupe 20 valve LPT. I was very happy with the car but wanted something with a bit more oomph! I certainly got that however the mpg is, in my humble opinion, not great. That having said I chose the car because I liked it. But I waited for nearly 5 months to get the one I wanted. A 2006 model, geartronic as most of the time with the manual coupe I was only getting into 3rd gear as most of my driving is around town. Only just under 40K miles on the clock. Registered before 23rd Mar 06 so tax is same as the manual. But what an exhilarating drive, especially with the roof down. I can't comment on the newer models as these were beyond my budget. I've had a couple of issues but for it's age, kind of expected that you would get some things. Just be careful you don't miss out on the most fun driving experience!
FredGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 14:52   #9
philrocks

I have a T5 Manual and do between 18-70 miles a day, and average between 26 MPG - 30 MPG, on a run I will get 35 MPG, with mostly economical driving (keeping it under 2500rpm), and the occasional boot on open straights.

It does go down drastically if you do small miles, My old place of work was 1.3 miles away, and averaged 17MPG, and some days, the temp needle of the engine hadn't moved at all.

Now this mostly depends on traffic, when schools in, my MPG goes down a bit due to more traffic. School holidays, it goes up.

Previous Volvos: Volvo S40 1.9d

philrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 16:21   #10
TheMajor

Quote:
Originally Posted by philrocks View Post
I have a T5 Manual and do between 18-70 miles a day, and average between 26 MPG - 30 MPG, on a run I will get 35 MPG, with mostly economical driving (keeping it under 2500rpm), and the occasional boot on open straights.

It does go down drastically if you do small miles, My old place of work was 1.3 miles away, and averaged 17MPG, and some days, the temp needle of the engine hadn't moved at all.

Now this mostly depends on traffic, when schools in, my MPG goes down a bit due to more traffic. School holidays, it goes up.
Hey Phil,

What type of route is it to your work?

I will be mainly country roads and dual carriageways then 2 miles in a village (15-17 total).

Out of interest, how long have you owned your C70? Any problems or things you would say are good to look at? I love the roof but it concerns me as I am coming for an MX5.

I hope to go see two tomorrow both 2.4 as I can not find a T5 manual within 2 hours of me.