Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 haunted wipers!!

Views : 3416

Replies : 48

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 4th, 2018, 13:12   #1
south coast

Default S40 haunted wipers!!

Hi there Volvo folk,

I'm new to Volvos. Really like my '04 S40 2.4 which I got last year.

The only niggle is the (seemingly common-ish) problem with the wipers randomly coming on!

I've trawled the forum and have had the ECM (?) unit out for cleaning. This didn't work, so I've done the same with the fuse box under the bonnet. No joy.

Perhaps the connections to the motor are corroded. However, I can't seem to get to it though, as the windscreen cowl won't budge.

Any help gratefully received
south coast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2018, 15:06   #2
domhart10
Volvo S40

do you have the auto wipers option which automatically come on when there is even a little drop of rain? maybe check the sensor for that?

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to domhart10 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 5th, 2018, 20:11   #3
south coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhart10 View Post
do you have the auto wipers option which automatically come on when there is even a little drop of rain? maybe check the sensor for that?
Hey man, thanks for replying.

Yes, I do have that option I think. I haven't used it, as far as I know though..

Do you know where the sensor is located by any chance?
Old Jul 5th, 2018, 21:52   #4
Sysyphus

Rain sensor is top center of the windscreen... but auto-wipers are off when you start up until you turn them on... you see the little wiper/raindrop icon in the bottom LED above the mileage
Sysyphus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sysyphus For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 6th, 2018, 13:33   #5
south coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sysyphus View Post
Rain sensor is top center of the windscreen... but auto-wipers are off when you start up until you turn them on... you see the little wiper/raindrop icon in the bottom LED above the mileage
Interesting..

When the wipers come on by themselves, I try switching the 'auto' function on/off but the icon never lights up. Not sure if that proves anything though!

Is the sensor in the module that has the rear-view mirror attached?

Does it have it's own fuse?
Old Jul 6th, 2018, 23:24   #6
south coast

Well, it's not the sensor.

The wipers came on again of their own accord. I found the sensor and disconnected it.

The wipers kept going...
Old Jul 9th, 2018, 13:49   #7
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by south coast View Post
Well, it's not the sensor.

The wipers came on again of their own accord. I found the sensor and disconnected it.

The wipers kept going...
Try pulling out the wiper control stalk and clean the contact points. I heard of someone replacing it because it stopped working, maybe it can also wear off in the way so it shorts out?
Otherwise it may be something in cars brain triggering it and Vida may actually diagnose it, if you have an access to it?
Old Jul 10th, 2018, 12:26   #8
south coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
Try pulling out the wiper control stalk and clean the contact points. I heard of someone replacing it because it stopped working, maybe it can also wear off in the way so it shorts out?
Otherwise it may be something in cars brain triggering it and Vida may actually diagnose it, if you have an access to it?
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try this next.

Since my last post, I have taken the wiper motor unit out and had a look at it. It's not the original and seems in good order, as do the connections. No signs of corrosion anywhere. There's a circuit board in there which could be bad I suppose.

I just decided to just remove the fuse for the wipers for the time being though.

However, someone suggested putting the fuse back in and disconnecting the rain sensor. So I'm trying that. Haven't driven it much yet.

Don't have vida access but I have a code of P0194 'Fuel Rail Pressure'
Old Jul 10th, 2018, 14:20   #9
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by south coast View Post
However, someone suggested putting the fuse back in and disconnecting the rain sensor. So I'm trying that. Haven't driven it much yet.

Don't have vida access but I have a code of P0194 'Fuel Rail Pressure'
In previous post you mentioned you already did, so it still engage when sensor disconnected or not? Maybe it is just a sensor going haywire...
Old Jul 10th, 2018, 15:26   #10
south coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
In previous post you mentioned you already did, so it still engage when sensor disconnected or not? Maybe it is just a sensor going haywire...
I agree with you. I thought the rain sensor was faulty.

As I mentioned in the previous post, I tried disconnecting the rain sensor when the wipers had already come on. So I (incorrectly) assumed the rain sensor was OK and plugged it back in.

However, even with the sensor permanently disconnected, the wipers have again started of their own accord.

I have taken the fuse out and am considering a new wiper motor. They seem cheap enough on ebay..

Tags
wipers