Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Keyless Entry Questions

Views : 1192

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 24th, 2018, 11:07   #1
encroute

Default Keyless Entry Questions

So I opted for Keyless Entry and Gesture controlled boot added to my Momentum T5. It was one of my key (!) requirements.

I've tried the boot several times, (after parking up) and it opened and closed with a foot wave under the bonnet. So far so good.

This morning I needed it in anger (Carrying large box) and the foot wave didn't work.
I had to unlock the car with the key to get the boot open. (I use the traditional method, having already put the box down on the wet pavement)

I was carrying a Standard key AND the "Keyless" Key fob (on my keyring).
I assumed the car would detect the key/fob and then my foot?
Am I assuming incorrectly or does it only work on an unlocked car?

Also, while I'm on the case - how is the Fob supposed to work independently - it allows access to the locked car, and to drive it, but how do you lock it without the full key? I walked away and waited 30 seconds, but it remained unlocked, so in the end I locked it with the key.
What use is the Fob??
Very little in the manual re the Fob.
encroute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 11:15   #2
Fursty Ferret

You've got to take a really obvious step back before the boot opens. But mostly it doesn't work if you're parked on a slope, or cobbles, or it's raining, or it's a Tuesday, or if you have two keys on you, or if you're carrying something really awkward...
Fursty Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fursty Ferret For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 11:19   #3
Lexman8
Premier Member

You don't need to carry both a key and the fob. In fact, having the two close together could cause issues.

The foot operated tailgate is engaged by a forward kick and stepping back, not a sideways swipe. The exact position of the sensor depends on the car but is usually left of centre as you stand behind the car.

With either the fob or the key the car can be locked by pressing the lock 'button' on any handle (it's the small recessed area towards the rear of the handle). There's no need to use any buttons on the key.

Last edited by Lexman8; Sep 24th, 2018 at 11:24.
Lexman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 11:21   #4
Haldex
Premier Member

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...426-2019-18w17
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Haldex For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 11:24   #5
weemark

Gesture tailgate works perfectly for me every time on my XC90 Inscription Pro - just kick your foot under the parking sensor 1/3 of the way in from the LH side on the rear bumper. I had it on my last car, a horrendous LR Disco Sport that had to go after 4 months, and it worked 10% of the time so you ended up looking a right numptie standing in a car park waggling your foot around to no useful purpose. One of those things I never thought I'd use that often but given that I'm lugging photo gear/tripods etc around a lot of the time it's a godsend.

For the locking part as Lexman says simply touch the recessed area on any door handle - but do not wrap your hand round the handle at the same time as that's how you unlock it!

Last edited by weemark; Sep 24th, 2018 at 11:31.
weemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 11:31   #6
encroute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fursty Ferret View Post
.....But mostly it doesn't work if you're parked on a slope, or cobbles, or it's raining, or it's a Tuesday, or if you have two keys on you, or if you're carrying something really awkward...
Arf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
You don't need to carry both a key and the fob. In fact, having the two close together could cause issues.
Good to know. Shame there's nothing in the manual. I can easily imagine a couple (each with a key) approaching the car

Quote:
The foot operated tailgate is engaged by a forward kick and stepping back, not a sideways swipe. The exact position of the sensor depends on the car but is usually left of centre as you stand behind the car.
OK - I need to practice this!

Quote:
With either the fob or the key the car can be locked by pressing the lock 'button' on any handle (it's the small recessed area towards the rear of the handle). There's no need to use any buttons on the key.
Ah, that makes sense.

Thank you both!
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 11:34   #7
encroute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldex View Post
How did I miss this??!
Thank you!
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 12:21   #8
Director76
Master Member

Other thing that has caught me out - having fob in same key as phone or behind phone in pocket also stops the boot opening working.

Must either block or interfere with the signal from the fob
Director76 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Director76 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 13:28   #9
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by encroute View Post
I can easily imagine a couple (each with a key) approaching the car
That's not usually a problem as you'll probably go to different sides of the car. In reality, it might only be an issue if you have two keys or a key and a fob really close to each other.

The keyless system has multiple antennas which allow it to determine where a key is in relation to the car. So, for example, it's not possible for a passenger to unlock the car from their side if you have the key/fob and are standing next to the driver's door.
_

Last edited by Lexman8; Sep 24th, 2018 at 13:36.
Lexman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 14:51   #10
S90
IT Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by encroute View Post
I've tried the boot several times, (after parking up) and it opened and closed with a foot wave under the bonnet. So far so good.
Theres your problem, you're waving your foot under the WRONG end of the car!