Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Advice : Old 122 ‘66 foot switch removal

Views : 1808

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 14th, 2019, 00:41   #11
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

BLS;

So the immediate issue being temporarily sorted with a "guest switch", you can take your time soaking hardware of the OE switch and disassembling it (I believe the screws protrude under the floor, so some penetrant applied from below might hit the spot well! ...and once removed I believe the cover can is also removable, so you will find your able to get to the inner workings for inspection and contact refurbishing and proper lubrication...if you are able to replace grub screws, I recommend Anti-Corrosive Zinc Paste on threads and wires for a long-term problem-free operation there also.

Cheers
Ron Kwas is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 00:50   #12
BLS07

Hi Ron,

Ah, I wasn’t sure about underside - I’ll check.

Yes, the guest switch is perfectly functional - if not entire practical !

Further soakings have be administered, but I’ll try again / some more tomorrow.

A full clean and refurb of that switch would be preference - and a fun little job, once I’ve got the buggar out / off of the car.

Grub screw - (metric) - in brass proving a little fussy to find here in UK.
Even “Screwfix” don’t have them (??!)

Keep you posted.

Cheers!
BLS07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 23:50   #13
BLS07

Question

The grub screws for the OE footswitch (52 years old!) are proving hard to find.

Does anyone know the correct size / type of the :

Slotted brass metric grub screws ?

Where to purchase some?

Please see attached photo :

1) LEFT screw in image, is photo of the correct screw (of which I have 1 of the 3, the other two corroded)

2) RIGHT screw in image, is an “M3 x 6mm” . As you can see far too small.

Any suggestions for sourcing the appropriate grub screws ?

Cheers !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D72250FC-0242-4591-9B32-66B2BCB83E93.jpg (42.6 KB, 10 views)
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 13:29   #14
Derek UK
VOC Member

If you're handy you could try and make your own out of a brass machine screw. If M3 is too small try M4? Confirm the size before you buy.
Search eBay for brass grub screws.
Derek UK is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 14:00   #15
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

Nothing on a Amazon seems to be metric. Have a closer look at imperial size for this reason; -)
Good luck, if I remember right I have the correct size in one of my thousands documents, Kay
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 14:28   #16
BLS07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
If you're handy you could try and make your own out of a brass machine screw. If M3 is too small try M4? Confirm the size before you buy.
Search eBay for brass grub screws.
Thanks Derek - I thought as a last resort I’d try an alternate screw with the appropriate thread & size. Just keen to not half-bake the refurbed switch.

M3 x 6mm - is just and old packet I had handy.

I’ve contacted a supplier : here’s his reply

“Could be one of about 25 different type but looks a coarse thread say a 0BA x ½” but a complete stick in the bees nest .”

Bees nest indeed - that footwell is tight and uncomfortable for a chap of my frame!

I’ve taken the ruler out (don’t have the necessary calliper to measure).
Diameter : 3mm
Length: 7mm

eBay - some sellers, but largely China based. So a hassle if wrong size.

The search goes on..

Cheers!
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 14:37   #17
BLS07

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocambique-amazone View Post
Nothing on a Amazon seems to be metric. Have a closer look at imperial size for this reason; -)
Good luck, if I remember right I have the correct size in one of my thousands documents, Kay
Thanks Mocambique-Amazone

I’ve scoured the written materials in respect of the Amazon manuals and articles etc - not seen anything olabout footswitch grub screws / fixings to date.

I remember the days, as a kid, when one’s Dad would bring you along to a hardware store that had everything for just about every job - be it DIY or contract / trades work.

Nowadays - B&Q and Screfix (for example) ..
It’s simply a “Never seen those before” .... blimey.

Internet it is then !!
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 15:29   #18
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

BLS;

This is becoming unnecessarily more complicated than it should be...having removed one screw allows measuring size (OD) and threadpitch (count threads per distance) both in imperial and metric (if necessary, enlist the help of a machinist for this)...once this is known, compare it to standard thread listings, and it will become immediately obvious what you are dealing with, and what needs to be procured...
“Never seen those before” hogwash!...I'm quite sure they didn't come up with a new screw thread for just this component, but used an absolutely standard one [and if for instance this happens to work out to be SAE 6-32 (as in size 6 by 32 threads per inch), contact me through SW-EM, and I'll be happy to send you a couple of brass screws as I stock these and use them in the restoration of Fuseblocks!]
Further...Amazons are indeed mostly imperial sized hardware... except for Bosch (or second source German supplier like SWF) supplied electrical or ignition components...so this could go either way, but I'm betting it's a dirt simple 6-32 (SAE) screw...install with ACZP on threads and wire!

Cheers
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 18:04   #19
Derek UK
VOC Member

OK, just buy this. Post free so you won't get it much cheaper.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Daimler-Sp2...d=322544547259
Derek UK is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 18:19   #20
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Derek; Agreed! I just hope that is a quality component for that very low price...do you know if OE Amazon Footswitches were supplied by Lucas? I would believe they supplied for 1800 harnesses, but seem to recall Bosch or SWF may have been original supplier for Amazon components...

BLS; Can you see a manufacturers ID on the switch? If you go the replacement Lucas switch route for a solution, be absolutely to mount with an insulator flat stock between switch and sheetmetal...to prevent possible short circuits if/when connector bases become loose! That was the root cause of "smoke in the cockpit" thread here a while ago! See: http://www.sw-em.com/electrical_trou...in_the_cockpit

Cheers