Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

"Miles to empty tank" accuracy

Views : 4119

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 1st, 2007, 14:57   #11
Wonderboy

I just put it down to poor service really. The BMW dealer up the road had no problems collecting my MINI from my place of work and the difference in mileage was minimal.

The last time my car was in to be repaired I was to keep the loan car for a few days so I put in what fuel I thought I would use in that time. They called a day later saying my car was ready and I could pick it up. So I returned the loan car with just under half a tank of diesel in as there was no way I could use it in that time.
Wonderboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 15:19   #12
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

I must admit that the last couple of times I used a dealer loan car the tank was near empty.
The explaination wast that no one that used the car ever bothered to fill it up when they used it.
I managed to reach a garage and put a gallon in and when returnrd there was more fuel in it than when I received it..

Was nice to have the drp off and collect as it meant they had the car to use, and I was safe at home..

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:35   #13
Pacman

Wonderboy,

Was the dealer Tollbar at Coventry? I bought my V50 from there, good sales guys but I've heard bad things about their ongoing Customer Service, so their response to them running out of fuel doesnt surprise me. I've been recommended Johnsons in Hampton in Arden, and they seem a friendly bunch as they've just done my last service, although as expensive as ever. It's going back on Monday for a couple of minor glitches I have, they didnt have time last week, but again they're collecting and delivering for me (I work near Bham airport).

Next time I have a service I'm going to go to Chip Tuning LTD in Redditch (www.volvotuninguk.com) as they're supposed to be good. Wont get the delivery but if they;re a lot cheaper it'll be worth it!

HTH

Paul
Pacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:42   #14
S60-MBS
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
Wonderboy,

Was the dealer Tollbar at Coventry? I bought my V50 from there, good sales guys but I've heard bad things about their ongoing Customer Service, so their response to them running out of fuel doesnt surprise me. I've been recommended Johnsons in Hampton in Arden, and they seem a friendly bunch as they've just done my last service, although as expensive as ever. It's going back on Monday for a couple of minor glitches I have, they didnt have time last week, but again they're collecting and delivering for me (I work near Bham airport).

Next time I have a service I'm going to go to Chip Tuning LTD in Redditch (www.volvotuninguk.com) as they're supposed to be good. Wont get the delivery but if they;re a lot cheaper it'll be worth it!

HTH

Paul
As Paul has just wrote Johnsons of Hampton in Arden are definitly a friendly bunch...had both my cars MOT's done there ...and bought afew bits for both cars there and got a voc discount too..and like Paul working next to airport is handy..my S60 was picked up and dropped off at promised times...i dont mind paying the price as long as i get the job what i want..
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:21   #15
Brian Davis

Smile

'Near the 'Tollbar' island in 'Coventry':

Use Johnstons at Hampton in Arden (about 10 miles away) in future. 3 S40's from them sofar and the 4th on the 1st March. Never a problem

Brian
Brian Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:42   #16
Wonderboy

I bought my V50 ex-demo from Tollbar in November and sales staff were extremely helpful and friendly. I have, however had ongoing problems with the car since to do with the car stuttering/dying on initial take-off. I have been back to the dealer three times and each time they cannot replicate the fault and therefore can't fix it. The last time it went in (when I ran out of fuel) they pretty much just checked the fault codes (none), washed it and rang me to say it was ready. I have since spoken to the dealer principle and threatened rejection and they are now taking it a bit more seriously.

The service manager is now going to take my car for an extended period to try and trace the fault. If they can't come up with anything they have offered to discuss doing some kind of deal, probably to part-ex it for a similar model or something.

If anyone has any idea what the problem might be then please let me know as I really like the car!
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 12:09   #17
Northview

To some extent I think dealers should see the loan car service in two ways. Firstly, it's a customer service thing - make the customer feel that he's being looked after and his custom is valued, and he's likely to stick with you, even if you're not the least expensive around. Secondly, it can be an opportunity to sell the merits of a newer car, or one slightly higher up the range. I'm not saying that loan cars should be brand new and top of the range, but if it's reasonably new and somewhere in the midrange, a fair percentage of customers using it will be driving something "nicer" than their own car. Some dealers do this, as I know from personal experience.

As for the dealer not fueling the car, my local Volvo dealer is the same. Given the apparent inaccuracy of the gauge, warning light and computer, your first port of call is often a filling station - not ideal when you're trying to get into work after dropping off your car, and there are no filling stations nearby or on your route to work. The dealer for my previous (non-Volvo) car always provided a valeted and fueled car with the expectation that I replace any fuel used. I expect most people respond to well to being trusted and do indeed replace the fuel. Those who look for a free ride are probably in the minority.

All of these things add to the overall impression a customer develops of their car ownership experience. Add the recurrent faults, the less than stellar dealer service, and a lack of attention to customer care and many people will start to wonder whether they'd buy another (premium-priced) Volvo next time around.

(I realise not everyone shares this view or the experiences I've mentioned)
Northview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 12:28   #18
Northview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderboy View Post
I have, however had ongoing problems with the car since to do with the car stuttering/dying on initial take-off. I have been back to the dealer three times and each time they cannot replicate the fault and therefore can't fix it. The last time it went in (when I ran out of fuel) they pretty much just checked the fault codes (none), washed it and rang me to say it was ready. I have since spoken to the dealer principle and threatened rejection and they are now taking it a bit more seriously.

The service manager is now going to take my car for an extended period to try and trace the fault. If they can't come up with anything they have offered to discuss doing some kind of deal, probably to part-ex it for a similar model or something.

If anyone has any idea what the problem might be then please let me know as I really like the car!
Sounds very similar to my experience. I've repeatedly had problems with uneven running under light load, and the car stuttering/dying when pulling away. On each occasion the impression I got was that the service department either just went with a "Oh that sounds like..." diagnosis, or were totally dependent on the fault codes in the computer. Is it not possible to do good old-fashioned fault diagnosis anymore? I know computers are increasingly integral to modern cars, but they're still basically mechanical devices aren't they? I went through several 'software updates' before they decided that it must be a faulty EGR valve (a known fault). They eventually replaced it, and while it has indeed been less troublesome, the faults still occur from time to time.

I eventually told them they should keep the car for as long as it took to fix the problems. They took it in over a weekend (Friday to Tuesday). I was phoned by them on the Monday to say that the car was ready, but when I asked, nobody had even checked one of the faults I'd explicitly asked them to look at.

I can't fault them for friendliness, but either the car is impossible to fix, or they don't know what they're doing.

I suggest following up on the EGR valve issue. It is a known fault on the current S40/V50 where it tends to stick
Northview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 12:45   #19
pigapumbu
Roary The Racing Car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northview View Post
....The dealer for my previous (non-Volvo) car always provided a valeted and fueled car with the expectation that I replace any fuel used. I expect most people respond to well to being trusted and do indeed replace the fuel. Those who look for a free ride are probably in the minority.

All of these things add to the overall impression a customer develops of their car ownership experience. Add the recurrent faults, the less than stellar dealer service, and a lack of attention to customer care and many people will start to wonder whether they'd buy another (premium-priced) Volvo next time around.

(I realise not everyone shares this view or the experiences I've mentioned)
I share the same view as you. My previous non-volvo dealer would always release the car with petrol and left it to individuals to top up before returning the car. I suspect if someone abused this kind gesture then the next time they wanted a loan car, they would be politely told none available.
pigapumbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 16:52   #20
Wonderboy

"....I suggest following up on the EGR valve issue. It is a known fault on the current S40/V50 where it tends to stick"

The EGR valve was replaced on the second visit but unfortunately hasn't cured the problem. I think Tollbar thought they had sorted it and were surprised when I called again.

I really don't trust the car much now. The other day I pulled out of a stop junction and the car just died on me. Fortunately there wasn't anything coming but it could have been dangerous. Now I give the accelerator a blip before pulling off just to make sure.