Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

320bhp N/A 5 cylinder engine

Views : 62203

Replies : 124

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 1st, 2008, 22:13   #1
austenw

Default 320bhp N/A 5 cylinder engine

Hi everyone

I would be gratefull if you could steer me in the right direction.

I am currently building a 5 cylinder 20v N/A Volvo engine for a caterham hill climb car here in the UK, this is my hobby.

Details of the engine spec are:
S60 base engine

35mm inlet valve 6mm stem
31mm exhaust valve 6mm stem
double valve springs
titanium retainers
32mm solid buckets
Cat cams 305 deg inlet 13.5mm lift
Cat Cams 290 deg exh 12.5 mm lift
Larger seats
Extensive head porting to suit

13:1 high compression pistons made to my spec from CP 83mm bore

2.0l 77mm steel crank

152mm h section rods,, give rod ratio of almost 2:1

3 stage Dry Sump system

Useing Jenvey inlet system, inc Individual throttle bodies

Motec Management system

The engine will be a 2.1L screamer

The questions I have are:

What cams have you found to work the best? duration / lift
What diameter exhaust before and after the collector? and exhaust length?
What size diameter inlet throttle bodies? What length?

I am looking to achieve 320bhp and rev it to 9500rpm which should be achievable

I would be gratefull for any help you could give me to achieve my goal

Regards

Austen
austenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 02:08   #2
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Hi Austen,

Very few people on the Volvo scene are into N/A tuning, due to Volvo's long-time involvement with turbocharging, and the associated power gains. Applying that sort of work to a T5 engine would probably result in roughly double the power at minimal extra cost...which is necessary when you're pulling roughly double the weight of your Caterham around!

Off the top of my head, your formula looks good for 300+bhp. It's a very interesting project.

I have an older B200 unit on Solex ADDHE 40s (Solex's answer to the DCOE), which is essentially standard bar the carbs, and makes somewhere around 150bhp. With a few more upgrades and spinning to ~7k, I'm aiming for 100bhp/litre. I'd liken it to a Pinto on DCOEs...it's fairly old, dumb technology! Having said that, that's about as close as you're likely to come to NA tuning on the UK Volvo scene!

Motec seems like an expensive option to me, but if it's what your tuning people are familiar with...

If you're ever in Lincoln, do feel free to pop around for a cuppa and a chat about Volvo tuning!

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 09:35   #3
don kalmar union
Trader

Good morning Austen,

I have been involved in supplying parts to tune later model Volvos for arround 12 years now and have got together a fair selection of parts for both 4 and 5 pot turbo cars with software from a Swedish source to run pretty much anything that comes along.

However, my experience of Volvo's later normally aspirated engines is very, very slim.

If, in the first instance money is within reason not an issue, then for experience and possibly usefull components you have to seek out the suppliers involved with the now defunct TWR in their running of the 850's and S40's in the BTCC and latterly with Volvo in Sweden's involvement with two contractors in particular preparing and entering S60's and now C30's in the STCC.....all these cars running 2000cc five pot NA engines to similar BTCC, STCC and WTCC regs.

I have got some information that I can pass to you about some suppliers of hardware both to TWR and to the Swedish teams and some personal ideas which you might find usefull.

You can call me on 0208 959 3230.

Best regards, Don.Norchi.

MTE performance software , TME and Ferrita stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com
don kalmar union is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 10:53   #4
austenw

I've source all the above already, its sat in my garage or at the machine shop, dont think there is anything i need apart from the tech info now
Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 01:59   #5
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

It looks like you're on the right track there Austen.

Your cam spec looks absolutely fine. I typically use 270 degree cams for 6500rpm operation, and ~300 would be my choice for up to 9k or so. I might be tempted to go a touch longer on the duration if I were venturing about 9k, but it soon becomes a trade-off with low end.

I would leave exhaust specification to an expert. I've been very impressed with Tube Torque in Macclesfield. I suspect you'll end up with 2.5" after the collector, but exhaust design - especially the manifold - is an artform, so I'd rather leave that to an expert (apart from for my own amusement!).

I would use ~45mm throttle bodies. You'd probably say 50mm carbs for that power goal, but since throttle bodies don't have venturis to reduce the diameter (my 40s have 32mm venturis fitted), 45mm should be sufficient. Length...I assume you're referring to the manifold and/or velocity stacks? If so...short is the order of the day for high RPM operation. You can get velocity stacks / ram pipes down to 20mm or so, and I'd be tempted to head in this direction, rather than other extreme of more like 100mm.

Again, I'm not a professional. So if you want definitive answers, I suggest you speak to a race engine builder. Don's suggestion re: touring car engines is a very good one, and one I'd not considered. They were very similar in concept to your engine - 2.0 20v NA 5-pot with ~300bhp.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 10:39   #6
austenw

Used tube torque many times over the years, surprised there still on the go as the owner was alchoholic

Doubt if i would use them again as there are far more experienced people i have come accross.

Also know Simon at Jenvey very well but he cant advise me on size and runner length as there are very few people who have actually done dyno testing on these engines

The purpose of my post was to see if there are any people who have actually been there and done it
Old Oct 4th, 2008, 00:38   #7
stusT5
850 t5 and r owner

find dave slater on this forum or volvosport on t5d5 he has masses of knowlage on this i belive iirc he is building a similar power plant
Old Oct 4th, 2008, 02:44   #8
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Dave is also based in Lincoln...

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
Old Oct 4th, 2008, 18:03   #9
davebslater(uk)
redbollock guru

hello austen !

guys , me and austen have been banging heads for a while now !

youll find the same post on turbobricks , thanks for the heads up guys .

with a fuel injected car port size isnt so critical as a carb engined car , depending on teh injector postion .

my own feeling is to do some testing ourselves , the sort of rpm austen is heading for , may even mean some injectors mounted F1 style in the bellmouth .

its uncharted territory at the moment .
Old Oct 4th, 2008, 19:03   #10
austenw

An extra set of injectors at the end of the trumpets will see about 12bhp