Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

CEM Wiring/Repair Information

Views : 216544

Replies : 357

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 24th, 2010, 20:26   #21
s40rch

Default fog lights

Does this controll the fog lights in my 96 S40, does anyone know where the relay is located for the front fog lights or what item number it is Haynes and sidaV are useless!
s40rch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 23:06   #22
gatos
Premier Member

I would suggest you check your PARKING LAMPS and POSITION lamps fuses in the engine compartment. One of them, I can't remember which one, had a fuse blown and apparently it was affecting front and rear fog lights. When i replaced that fuse I got both fog lights on the front and the one on the back working fine. Very odd as the Fog lights fuse was fine.
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 14:03   #23
qipan

Thanks for the very useful information, Russell_S.

In my case, I have a V40 which had a failed LH dipped beam. The light was on if the engine was running and off if the engine stopped (all switches were on). Finally, this was traced to a problem with the relay on the CEM board. When the engine is on, the control voltage on the relay is about 13V, which is high enough to activate the old relay. When off, the battery voltage is about 11.5V, so the relay does not move at all.

The problem is definately with the relay. But to get a replacement relay is not easy. Dealers do not have the relay as a component but would charge about £450 for the whole CEM. In the end, I found a replacement from RS (stock number 217-2876) and only costs £1.47 plus VAT and del.

Link here:
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/s...7-2876&x=0&y=0

I have also attached the datasheet here. It is 15A compared with the old 20A, but well enough for the dipped beam (about 5A).

After replaced with the new relay, my V40 returns to normal.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RS217-2876.pdf (53.4 KB, 187 views)
qipan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to qipan For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 14th, 2010, 16:12   #24
acrobs

hey qipan, you said yours was the ls, and that was the replacement relay for it.

will that same relay be ok for the right side light?

cheers andy
acrobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2010, 11:37   #25
littlehomer
Master Member

Hi All,

Great info, priceless.

The other relays in there, are they for fog lights?

I'm trying to retrofit front foglights and want to know if there's anything else I'll need.

Many Thanks,

Daniel.
littlehomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2010, 18:45   #26
qipan

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrobs View Post
hey qipan, you said yours was the ls, and that was the replacement relay for it.

will that same relay be ok for the right side light?

cheers andy

Hi Andy

From the picture of the CEM board, it appears that they are of the same type relay with the same part number on the body and so I think it should be okay for the RH side too.
Old Nov 15th, 2010, 23:04   #27
acrobs

great stuff qipan

one last thing, does a phase 1 cem fit on a phase two cem, aand vice versa.

cheers
acrobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2010, 15:43   #28
qipan

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrobs View Post
great stuff qipan

one last thing, does a phase 1 cem fit on a phase two cem, aand vice versa.

cheers
Sorry I have no idea. My V40 is 2000 GDI model, and the engine has the fly-by-wire type throttle. The CEM board is just like the picture shown at the beginning of the thread.

Probably you can check up with your local Volvo dealer parts to find out. After all the advice/info from them is free!
The Following User Says Thank You to qipan For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 8th, 2010, 01:40   #29
mrbroons

Default XC90 CEM - Xenon probs

Hi, I have an XC90 (2003). My passenger side xenon dipped beam flicks on and off whilst I'm driving, sometimes it stays on for a whole journey other times it is on and off every 30 seconds, I've also got water coming into the cabin from somewhere (it's under the floor near the yaw sensor).

Just wondering if these things can all be linked. I'm really scratching my head with this one. I've posted under the proper forum section my problem but saw this thread whilst searching for an answer and just thought I would ask?

regards, Jim.
mrbroons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2010, 10:45   #30
qipan

Hi Jim

I think you can do a quick test to see if the problem comes from the relay.

Switch on ALL lights but without turning the engine on (this will set a lower battery voltage to the relay), check if the faulty light is on. Then turn the engine on (set a higher voltage) and check the light again.

If the light is off when the engine is not running and on (or sometime on) when the engine is running, it is almost certain that the relay is faulty.

If the light is on in both cases, it may be something esle like bad contacts etc.