Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2000 V70 Starting Problem

Views : 28132

Replies : 43

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 1st, 2014, 13:16   #31
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
What are your MAF g/s at 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000 revs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BramV70 View Post
readings were at approx 1000 revs
Post your MAF figures at other revs also when you get time.
Old Nov 1st, 2014, 17:37   #32
BramV70

1000 4.7 G/S 31 kpa
2000 9.5 G/S 27 kpa
3000 12 G/S 29 kpa
4000 19 G/S 29 kpa
5000 25.5 G/S 35 kpa
BramV70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BramV70 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 1st, 2014, 21:50   #33
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
1000 4.7 G/S 31 kpa
2000 9.5 G/S 27 kpa
3000 12 G/S 29 kpa
4000 19 G/S 29 kpa
5000 25.5 G/S 35 kpa
Those airflow figures would mean my car would be running awfully but they may well be ok for yours.
Perhaps another owner with the same engine could post their figures for comparison.
Old Nov 2nd, 2014, 07:38   #34
BramV70

mine is a 2.4 non turbo petrol so less air going compared to your Turbo Diesel I suppose

The ignition coil related fault codes i cannot trace back to the exchange spark plugs. I mounted the NGK BKR 6 ES type plugs and from internet i found these are the recommended NGK ones so this should work. I am now goring suspicious and it might be possible the code came up after my exchange of the alternator?

Digging my (short term memory) i started the car after the plug change out and had no code.
After this i proceeded with the alternator, disconnected the ground but as i was missing the T55 for the tensioner i reconnected it again to go to the shop. At my return i continued, a friend passed by we had a chat after which i went to work and forgot to disconnect the battery ground (disruption.....) after which i caused a shortcircuit between alternator and ground.

Could this short circuit have triggered a problem somewhere else?

Last edited by BramV70; Nov 2nd, 2014 at 08:28.
Old Nov 3rd, 2014, 07:32   #35
BramV70

OK this was a simple one, while changing the sparkplugs i quenched one of the wires of bobine #1 between the protection cover, repaired the wire and fault codes are all clear now. So indeed a problem through ground in which the wire of #1 was disrupting the others.

However this morning again starting problems as always: Engine cranking but not starting (only first attempt gives a distant illusion of a start for just a split second).

The summary sofar:
- There is fuel at to my impression sufficient pressure
- injectors are powered
- bobines are powered
- New spark plugs
- New Alternator
- New battery (for just in case)
- Cam sensor OK
- Contact OK
- Antenna ring OK
- Immobiliser connector OK

This morning at starting attempt xx (did not count but was double digits) the alarm went off silently (led on dashboard flashing rapidly), also my remote control was not able to lock/unlock at this moment.
Is it possible alarm problems can be linked to the not starting? I searched the internet and found some links to battery drain due to damaged prints in the alarm box at the SB wheel arch. Possibly it sends a signal to my immobiliser as well?

Can i disconnect the alarm box in some way to check whether it will improve the not starting issue or will disconnecting trigger the immobiliser and thus only worsen my problems?

Thanks for yoru help sofar, really appreciated!
Old Nov 3rd, 2014, 15:54   #36
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
The summary sofar:
- There is fuel at to my impression sufficient pressure
- injectors are powered
- bobines are powered
- New spark plugs
- New Alternator
- New battery (for just in case)
- Cam sensor OK
- Contact OK
- Antenna ring OK
- Immobiliser connector OK
In comment #27 I suggested checking and cleaning all earth points and to check and clean the throttle area.
Have you done this yet?
Old Nov 3rd, 2014, 17:41   #37
BramV70

throttle cleaned and all grounds done (even the difficult to reach one on SB bow of the car). No improvement.......
Old Nov 4th, 2014, 07:21   #38
BramV70

Here we go again.......

This morning, thanks to the new battery and Alternator, I managed to get the car running after at least 20 minutes.

Had a large number of "almost starts" and multiple of these "split seconds" of engine running. After each split second of engine running the alarm led on the dashboard blinks rappidly for ~25 seconds.
Also in some cases the arrow light came on.

In between tried everything suggested elsewhere:
- Connect/reconnect antenna ring
- Lock/unlock 5 times, both with transponder and with key
- Hitting the contact
- Shifting automatic transmission between neutral and park
Old Nov 6th, 2014, 09:07   #39
BramV70

Two nights ago I had the brilliant idea of taking the immobiliser unit out of the car and let it 'sleep' inside the house to keep it nicely warm and dry.
The next morning, no starting problems!
Did the same yesterday night and this morning again no starting problems!

Apperently the unit does not like cold? I checked its interior and the connection pins but no vissible damage and/or corrosion, nevertheless the unit is failing somehow, any suggestions on how to repair are welcome.

My first idea is to replace the unit for a preferably new one, any place on the web where i can buy a new one (searched without succes)? I am afraid a used second hand will have the same problems.

Suspect i need a new chipped key that goes along with the new unit?

Can i install an improved/later type (from a crashed car) in order to avoid reoccurence?

Unit is having the following text on it:
VOLVO
00W12
AUSTRALIA
SW9459074

F005 V0 0066
VIM 016 IMMO 3
Robert Bosch GmbH
Old Nov 6th, 2014, 10:59   #40
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Interesting!

It does seem then that your immobiliser unit has a fault that makes it susceptible to cold/damp. Now, a new one will probably cost £££ wherever you get it from, whereas one from a scrap car will prbably be cheap. Personally I wouldn't worry about a second-hand one having the same problem, as I've never heard of this problem before on this forum or anywhere else, so it can't be a common problem and I reckon you stand a very good chance of getting a unit that will work fine.

Don't know if they are plug-and-play between different cars though? Hopefully so and you'll be sorted! All along it has sounded like an immobiliser problem, but the normal fix of antenna ring contacts hasn't worked for you, so your diagnisis of the unit itself sounds spot on.

All the best!