Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Prep for T8 begins...

Views : 1467

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 18th, 2023, 16:51   #1
CocoPops
VOC Member

Default Prep for T8 begins...

Had my Zappi installed today, ready for March 1st delivery of my T8 Ultimate Dark XC90

Still a week away from it's build date, as I was last updated.
Old Jan 19th, 2023, 12:32   #2
eugeneville

Nice, congrats!
Out of curiosity, why did you decide to go specifically with Zappi?
eugeneville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2023, 16:28   #3
CocoPops
VOC Member

One of the more recommended units online.
Part of an ecosystem (batteries etc), going to add Solar soon.
Old Jan 19th, 2023, 17:08   #4
sandys
XC60 T8 Ultimate Dark

Bought Zappi for similar reasons, I've been pretty happy with the app and functionality so far, but don't yet have the home energy gear nailed down, currently in a good lock for now so in no rush, but will try and get it done in the next couple of months.
Old Jan 19th, 2023, 20:37   #5
rhd443

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandys View Post
Bought Zappi for similar reasons, I've been pretty happy with the app and functionality so far, but don't yet have the home energy gear nailed down, currently in a good lock for now so in no rush, but will try and get it done in the next couple of months.
Out of interest how much was the install all in? I've been running the granny charger for 3 years left outside dangling in the rain, snow, melting temperatures and it's never failed me, just curious to know how many hybrid battery charges you could have saved in cost terms against the install cost.
rhd443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2023, 21:07   #6
sandys
XC60 T8 Ultimate Dark

Much like Buying the Hybrid there is very little benefit over a Petrol or diesel financially due to what you have to pay for the hardware except for company buyers but has other benefits.

It costs a lot now the grant is gone, did mine last day of grant, it was just under 1k, used to be loads cheaper than that but the actual part cost went up with demand/shortages

There are wallboxes out there that are far cheaper, you can get the done under £500, or at least there were, not sure if that has changed since the latest smart regs on evse equipment

It is a lot more convenient than trailing the granny cable and obviously gives a faster charging rate (wall box can provide 7.2Kw on single phase) reducing charge time.

I'd imagine it will also allow for better performance when pre-conditioning and charging in the newer electric heating cars. (but I don't know if that is a true statement, just know when doing pre cond, I'm maxing out the charger )

granny cable is 2.3kw will take approx 9hrs to fill the 18.8kwh battery
MY23 charger is 3.6kw will take approx 5hrs to fill the 18.8kwh battery
MY24 charger is 6.6kw will take approx 3hrs to fill the 18.8kwh battery

the 5hr charge is obviously on the limit of most cheap electricity charging windows.

3hrs is a usefully better turnaround, you could add a fair bit whilst shopping etc, I did consider dropping my MY23 for newer one but the cost bump for very little benefit made me forgo it, 'course a DC charger would have been a better addition.

Last edited by sandys; Jan 19th, 2023 at 21:23.
sandys is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sandys For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 20th, 2023, 10:13   #7
CocoPops
VOC Member

Yeh, the change from MY23 to MY24 should make a big difference.
Bit of a shame I'm about 3m to early I hope'd the charger tech would make it into the last of the MY23s by stealth but it seems not. My MY23 is being built next week, but MY24 builds start in May.

Also looking at Battery storage, to take advantage of the lower overnight tarriff (as well as fill the car) and then use that during the day.

Hence choosing the Zappi, as MyEnergi also do battery tech called "Libbi" which integrates with the ecosystem etc.

Last edited by CocoPops; Jan 20th, 2023 at 10:15.
CocoPops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2023, 11:36   #8
sandys
XC60 T8 Ultimate Dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoPops View Post
Yeh, the change from MY23 to MY24 should make a big difference.
Bit of a shame I'm about 3m to early I hope'd the charger tech would make it into the last of the MY23s by stealth but it seems not.
Depends on what the 6.6 charger implementation is to be honest, couldn't find a clear answer on that, Volvo seem to describe it a 2 phase, in which case, useless for most UK 7kw single phase home chargers and only good if you go to a 22kw charge point or have 3 phase at home.
Old Jan 20th, 2023, 11:48   #9
Cull06
Master Member

Out of interest with the newer than mine T8’s - how long does it take to fully charge with a 3 pin plug..?

Mine takes maybe 3.5 hours. So I opted against having a proper charger installed… Would be interested to hear what it is now and whether that would change my mind in future.
Old Jan 20th, 2023, 12:00   #10
sandys
XC60 T8 Ultimate Dark

Rough numbers in my post above I've not actually tested it but with the way the power scales down current after 90% to protect battery you can pretty much divide the charger rate with 18.8 to give you ballpark timing.

Charge loss is approx 15% right now, so I'm putting in around 17-17.5kw for the 14.9kw usable on the 18.9kwh battery, might improve when not so cold.

so its going to be between 8 and 9 hours for granny plug as it can only do 2.3Kw max.

Last edited by sandys; Jan 20th, 2023 at 12:09.
sandys is offline   Reply With Quote