Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine cleaner

Views : 983

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 09:35   #1
derek vivian

Default Engine cleaner

I am considering using Cataclean to clean the engine internals including the catalytic converter and wondered if anyone has done this and can report success or not? The alternative may be to buy for example Shell V Plus petrol which claims to keep the engine clean. What views are there?
derek vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to derek vivian For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 09:51   #2
ASt85
Premier Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek vivian View Post
I am considering using Cataclean to clean the engine internals including the catalytic converter and wondered if anyone has done this and can report success or not? The alternative may be to buy for example Shell V Plus petrol which claims to keep the engine clean. What views are there?
I've used Cataclean in a number of cars over the years and yes, it does work - the biggest difference noticed was when I first used it in an 850; the emissions were lower than the original spec/parameters when it went for an MOT later that the week. The engine was quieter, felt a lot more smooth and the mpg went up by nearly 5mpg when driven normally.

Make sure you follow the instructions re rate of addition to a nearly empty tank.

I use it on a regular basis and it seems to keep the engine running sweetly, every fourth refill or so I fill up with Vplus or the BP equivalent, which also seems to help.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ASt85 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 11:03   #3
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Cataclean is one of the few products that does exactly what it says on the tin, Shell V-Power Nitro or BP Ultimate unleaded will help to keep the engine running cleanly between Cataclean doses and you may even find your mpg improves with one or the other (maybe both) of those fuels compared to the normal unleaded.

All of my redblocks ran better on BP Ultimate than any other fuel, when i first got my current 760 it seemed to prefer Shell V-power Nitro but has now swung round to preferring BP Ultimate with improved starting on the BP - the added bonus of BP is you can buy it cheaper at Sainsburys, it's the only supermarket fuel i use as it's supplied by BP, hence Nectar points on their fuel.

To really get the benefit of the extra cost of those fuels, you really need to run the car exclusively on them, dropping back to normal unleaded is a false economy, i've proved it to myself too many times for it to be coincidence.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 11:15   #4
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Thank you all....very much indeed....but....

Derek why did you post this thread the day AFTER I filled my jam jar's tank, and approaching the MOT, and I drive a very low mileage? OUCH!

Perhaps I will indulge the olde thing in a lengthy journey and then dose it.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 11:20   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
Thank you all....very much indeed....but....

Derek why did you post this thread the day AFTER I filled my jam jar's tank, and approaching the MOT, and I drive a very low mileage? OUCH!

Perhaps I will indulge the olde thing in a lengthy journey and then dose it.
Has your 240 got a cat on then Stephen?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 11:34   #6
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Yes Dave. And not just any olde moggie. A real live Volvo cat.

Oops. Apologies to olde moggies. Felines are superb people. Except the one that hunted birds in my garden. I have dissuaded it. By kindness.

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Aug 22nd, 2018 at 11:38.
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 11:48   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Oh dear! How old is your 240 Stephen?

If it's old enough to not need a cat (before 1/1/92) then i'd be out there with a hacksaw, length of pipe and a pair of clamps!

Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 12:14   #8
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Just after that date Dave. Lucky me. The operative date gets debated and might be later than you quote, or might not. I'm not going there.

I'm not keen on de-catting anyway. Usually emissions are no problem for my olde jam jar, last year's test was....an idiosyncrasy....and it did pass after a little encouragement.

The MOT electronic control system seemed by the way to work from the reg. number and dictate what tests the tester did. Like the tester was following in a straight jacket.

I declare orf topic.
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 12:20   #9
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
All of my redblocks ran better on BP Ultimate than any other fuel, when i first got my current 760 it seemed to prefer Shell V-power Nitro but has now swung round to preferring BP Ultimate with improved starting on the BP - the added bonus of BP is you can buy it cheaper at Sainsburys, it's the only supermarket fuel i use as it's supplied by BP, hence Nectar points on their fuel.
Apart from cost, is there any difference between BP's fuels and the Sainsbury's equivalents as my daily driver (a 2014 Mondeo diesel) is fed a diet of BP diesel, and the savings are about 5p/litre or 4%?

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 12:43   #10
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Loki. I do suspect some possible difference. Otherwise the fuel at Sainsbugs would be proudly sold as BP. What a marketing coup for Sainsbugs!!!!

Or then again, I have made the point against what I have said. Commercially BP don't want it advertised that their fuel is available cheaper elsewhere. HUSH.

Anyways....Dave's experience shows that the Sainsbugs super fuel in his jam jar(s) serves him as well as the BP equivalent. Cushti.

As it happens I get my fuel at Sainsbugs. The BP flling station is some distance away.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post: