Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Performance

Views : 933

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 7th, 2006, 23:46   #1
T240
Pure is Beautiful

Default Performance

Not sure if this has ever been discussed, but how fast is a 240 supposed to go - flat out? Perhaps more to the point, how far round the dial have you guys seen the needle pointing - on a private stretch of road, of course

I'll start this with my latest observation. '89, 2 litre, on the flat, in fifth, going into a headwind of around 10 to 15 mph - showing 111mph, still accelerating like a scalded cat, and throttle not even fully open - private road, of course.

It seems pretty sharp for a 2 litre (to me). Think it may have been breathed on at some point?

All comments on this, and your own observations are most welcome. I imagine Mike Brace and some other of you guys out there know exactly what these things are capable of, and may be willing to post some figures - I hope . . .

Cheers,

T
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 08:42   #2
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

My brother in law had one 20 years ago and got it up to an indicated 120 mph on the M4.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 08:53   #3
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

The first issue is that 240 speedos are not very accurate and may be made worse by wheel tyre combination. Against GPS my GLT and Italian 2.0 GLE both read fast by about 7-8%. I have driven many 2.0 and the fastest one has top be my Italian one which I'm convinced has a different cam as it really starts to pull over 4000 rpm right up to the red line. This has shown an indicated speed of over 200 kph. Even a slight downhill or tailwind can have an effect due to the brick's aerodynamics working against it at high speed.
Your 2.0 certainly sounds very healthy.

Mike

Last edited by Mike_Brace; Aug 8th, 2006 at 08:57.
Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 23:33   #4
T240
Pure is Beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Brace View Post
The first issue is that 240 speedos are not very accurate and may be made worse by wheel tyre combination. Against GPS my GLT and Italian 2.0 GLE both read fast by about 7-8%. I have driven many 2.0 and the fastest one has top be my Italian one which I'm convinced has a different cam as it really starts to pull over 4000 rpm right up to the red line. This has shown an indicated speed of over 200 kph. Even a slight downhill or tailwind can have an effect due to the brick's aerodynamics working against it at high speed.
Your 2.0 certainly sounds very healthy.

Mike
Thanks for the reply, Mike (and Clifford too ). I really needed to touch base with someone highly experienced in 240s. I'm running 195/60-15 (Pirelli P6000) on 6x15 late 760 model alloys at the moment.
That was the first time I've had this one over 95 mph; it is barely run in (only 119,000), and stupid as it sounds, seems to be only just loosening up. Like your Italian model, mine seems to have massive, almost insane, pull at high revs (and a little lumpy very low down?).

I knew from the 95 run there was plenty in hand, but the stupid grin it gave me seeing it top 110 before having to back off was priceless. I had lots of reasons for loving 240s before - now I just found another

Anyone else seen high figures, I'd be curious to know?

Cheers,

T

Last edited by T240; Aug 8th, 2006 at 23:35.
T240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 18:12   #5
alidrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by T240 View Post
Anyone else seen high figures, I'd be curious to know?
I've had my 1991 2.3L 240 GLT go up to about 170km/h (~105 mph) and RPM still was well below 5000. Unfortunately by then the NA power plant running it was accelerating too slowly (bad aerodynamics?) and I ran out of road and had to slow down. I reckon the top speed would be somewhere near 200 km/h (125 mph) if there was a long enough stretch to test it.

A.B.
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 04:28   #6
todd_e_grant

I had my '81 240 up to 175kph (110mph) with a strong tailwind and while drafting behind a young punk from my work. He thought his Ranger was so fast so I thought I'd teach him a lesson. He told me his truck was governed to 160kph and I knew I was a bit better. I eventually caught up and next thing he was smelling all my fumes! That was on the way to get the bricks for my firepit. Volvo's make good trucks too.......had about 500 pounds in the trunk....poor car!
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 04:29   #7
todd_e_grant

Oh yes....only went 40kph on the way home with the bricks.