Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

random no starts

Views : 1457

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 19th, 2010, 12:48   #1
marcos v8

Default random no starts

hi all
after suffering many random no start probs with my 850/2.5/10vale1996 i had a look at the fault codes thing under the bonnet code was 231 [ventilation damper motor position sensor open circuit or shorted to 12 volts]
could any body explain this to me in plain english ie where it is and does please; and could it really cause very random no start probs .after reading a lot on here i have changed the fuel pump relay as a start but only time will tell if that is the problem
many thanks.
marcos v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 13:07   #2
biglass1980

Thumbs up

Dont know whether these websites can help you.

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/volvo-repair-database/volvo-850-trouble-codes/[/URL]

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/tech/ser...ystem-Auto.pdf
biglass1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 15:32   #3
marcos v8

thanks for the link that takes some reading lol.funny thing is it apears to be refering to aircon ;wich isnt fitted to the car i think im going to have read it a few more times
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 13:10   #4
marcos v8

well after re reading the manuel it seems that i checked out the dashboard
instead of the fuel and ignition ecu [pratt] any way did it properly today and got 1-1-1 =no faults stored wich is good.as i stated before i changed the fuel pump relay for a new one and time will tell if this was the cause of my problems does any one have any suggestions as to other likely causes of totally random none starts ? many thanks chris,
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 17:07   #5
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Can you describe the no-start situation a bit more fully? When you turn the key are the dash lights still illuminated? Can you crank the engine or is it all completely dead?

My initial guess would be a worn ignition switch, but that'd need more diagnosis before coming to a def conclusion... The 20v engines are known to have a problem with tappets sticking but this affects the 2.0 more than the 2.5...

Yep, def need more info

I know these random faults are frustrating, but keep the faith !
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 21:31   #6
marcos v8

hi rt
the symtoms are these the car cranks over just fine in fact it has allways started from cold but if say i did a couple of mile then go into a shop for 5mins
it prob wont start when i come out but i cant replicate it .,this has happened a few times after various mileages usually under 5 iwas thinking it may be temperature related,how ever after a 4 day lay up coverd in snow and ice
it started up like a good en and sat there ticking over while i cleaned off for perhaps 15 mins, the temp gauge was at normal but as i tried to drive off it
just died,tried the foot to the floor method to restart plenty of cranking as usual but no fire up again,the funny thing is if i leave for 10-15 mins its fine runs great, only once has it hiccupped a couple of times then died at the junction but i did manage to restart and after abit of chugging it cleared and
away we went that was on monday so i changed the pump relay on tuesday.
must add that short trips are the exception not the norm
thanks chris.
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 08:06   #7
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

OK, no dying while driving along and no electrical failure - that would tentatively rule out the ignition switch.

It sounds very similar to a problem I had with an old 940 of mine. It would start fine, but could die without warning - usually when pulling away, either off the drive or away from the lights etc. It turned out to be the MAF in my case - but it did set a fault code...

A leaky vacuum pipe could also cause contribute to it.

The other likely candidate is the fuel pump relay, but as you've already changed this... I reckon we need to see whether you're getting fuel and a spark when this happens - which is going to be a bit awkward That will rule out fuel and electrical issues leaving the sticky valves as a possibility (a compression test will help diagnose this - but again only when the engine stalls...)

If anyone else can throw in a few thoughts here, feel free - I'm scratching my head really
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 12:14   #8
marcos v8

hi rt
yes its an awkward one ,my plan at the mo is to see how it goes with just
the new relay before any further work ,as i do know for sure that the previous owner had fitted a second hand one after experiencing hot start issues, would i be correct to think that cam sensors etc would either work, or not?but at the very least would throw a code?the more i think about it the more conviced i become that is connected to shortish journeys ,it could be a gremlin rather than a fault lol
many thanks chris.
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 09:15   #9
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Couldn't find the one about the tappets sticking, but I did find one suggesting alternative (2.5 20v) sparkplugs and an italian tune up This might be worth trying - certainly and easier/cheaper option than a cylinderhead overhaul...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20v.jpg (181.3 KB, 10 views)
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 14:01   #10
EMM

I There i am having exactly the same issue. It won't start unless i do the hold go pedal down for three minutes while cranking.

It will run really rough between 1,000-2,000rpm and if i don't catch it, it will stall. However once the engine is warm the problem goes away.

Then i'll leave the engine cool down and the whole process starts again.

I haven't replaced anything yet but i have spark, 12.6volts at battery, 13-15 during running, engine cranks no issues. Correct oil and level. No waring lights on the dash board when operating. It's just odd.

Any ideas?
EMM is offline   Reply With Quote