Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

CVVT solenoid/pulley

Views : 4061

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 26th, 2013, 20:55   #1
'88740GL

Question CVVT solenoid/pulley

Good evening, I've read in a few places about the issues on the CVVT system and failures or strange noises made by these setups. I've seen plenty of videos with the loud diesel sounding 1.8 petrol engines some loud and some quieter.

Is it a pulley that goes bad, or is it a solenoid valve that's bolted to the top of the valve cover that does?

I understand the system is designed to reduce exhaust emissions up on start up, but if the system completely stuffs up, I'd like to think there is some kind of fail safe or even a warning light come on the dash?

Sorry for this lack of knowledge, this is the first 'modern volvo' I've owned!

Last but not least, is my engine the direct injected petrol model? It doesn't look like it.
'88740GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2013, 21:19   #2
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by '88740GL View Post
Good evening, I've read in a few places about the issues on the CVVT system and failures or strange noises made by these setups. I've seen plenty of videos with the loud diesel sounding 1.8 petrol engines some loud and some quieter.

Is it a pulley that goes bad, or is it a solenoid valve that's bolted to the top of the valve cover that does?

I understand the system is designed to reduce exhaust emissions up on start up, but if the system completely stuffs up, I'd like to think there is some kind of fail safe or even a warning light come on the dash?

Sorry for this lack of knowledge, this is the first 'modern volvo' I've owned!

Last but not least, is my engine the direct injected petrol model? It doesn't look like it.
Easy to check yourself. See my guide here: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...ighlight=guide

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2013, 21:41   #3
'88740GL

Thank you, Gatos. This looks like the exact engine I have in mine. Is this the direct injected petrol model? Or is it the standard setup?

Apart from the pulley helping on fuel economy and driveability, is there any detrimental effects of this pulley going bad?
Old May 26th, 2013, 21:50   #4
gatos
Premier Member

No. Thank the gods you don't have the GDI mitsubishi engine.......

Do the test and see if the noise goes, then you know that the VVT pulley (NOT the VVT solenoid) is shot. You can leave it unplugged and drive the car like normal. Only detrimenta effect will be a miniscule drop in mpg and power and nothing else. You can drive it like this forever

Nullius in Verba
The Following User Says Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old May 26th, 2013, 22:13   #5
'88740GL

Again, thank you very much Gatos, just been reading through your guides whilst awaiting for your response... (just noticed one of those guides I did use the other day to remove my drivers door card to lubricate a sticky locking mechanism)

Are those GDI engines really bad? and just when we thought japanese engine technology was best! (yeah right!)
The Following User Says Thank You to '88740GL For This Useful Post:
Old May 26th, 2013, 22:45   #6
gatos
Premier Member

lol. GDIs are bad for people like me driving their cars like grannies..... Driving it gently, results in heavy coking deposits everywhere and a blocked EGR valve. A few people here who are heavy footed have no problems at all with them.

Also the Mitsubishi GDI was designed for higher RON petrol which is standard in Japan, but not in the UK. Overall, I would never buy a GDI X40 in my life. I am more than happy with the Renault diesel block in my car as it is very reliable and quite easy to trouble shoot

Nullius in Verba
Old May 27th, 2013, 16:40   #7
'88740GL

Unplugged the solenoid and my engine is quieter than ever! It has thrown an engine light up on the dash that won't go out (its detected the unplugging of the solenoid) Is there anyway of getting that engine light off or is it something the local garage can do by plugging it into diagnostics and clearing the codes?

The car runs great, just been on a trip out with it today with no problems.
I thought for a moment that disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes may do, but It could hold the code in its memory..
Old May 27th, 2013, 19:53   #8
gatos
Premier Member

Oops, keep forgetting that the EML will come up when the VVT solenoid is disconnected..... If you plug it back in, the EML will disappear after a few starts. Or, as you mentioned, disconnecting the battery for half hour will get rid of the code.

Now I have remembered correctly, that another member here sorted out the problem by blocking the VVT solenoid and left the connector on it. Tried finding the post, but could not find it

Nullius in Verba
The Following User Says Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old May 28th, 2013, 00:12   #9
leowyatt

If you do not disconnect it would you cause any damage?
leowyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2013, 22:24   #10
'88740GL

Default *update*

I disconnected the CVVT solenoid for a week and enjoyed a nice quiet engine and no problems. Today It was given an oil & filter change (something that was 6000 miles overdue) the old oil wasn't mega black, but after the oil change, I plugged back in the CVVT and its a lot quieter now than it was, still sounds like a diesel when idling, but goes away when revved.

I got tired of looking at the engine light on the dash! It didn't go out even when I disconnected the battery for 30 mins, but It eventually went out when driving.
The Following User Says Thank You to '88740GL For This Useful Post:

Tags
1.8s vvt repair, s40