Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fault Code - any ideas if this is causing the problem?

Views : 4833

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 6th, 2011, 07:55   #31
twinturbo

Both good points, my old T5 has an ISCV.

one test is to slip the car into neutral before comming to a halt.

TT
twinturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 14:15   #32
keith Stanley

Thanks very much for your suggestions everyone, I will certainly try them. I did manage to video the rev counter this morning before it cut out but unable to upload it!

If anyone thinks they can help please PM my and I will try and attach the video that way - revs swing violently between 1000 - 0 revs!
keith Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 14:35   #33
keith Stanley

Thanks for this but do you know which way the arrow is supposed to be pointing, it is pointing towards the air filter.
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 18:16   #34
Craigs T4

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith Stanley View Post
- revs swing violently between 1000 - 0 revs!
I had the same problem with it cutting out when approaching lights, down changing when coasting down hill and turning in a left hand turn etc (No load on engine) so I took the ICV off cleaned it with brake cleaner, then took the butterfly housing off and cleaned the carbon out of the inner and outer edges and this worked! (30 mins work at most)

Also as the turbo wears out it will pass oil though the intercooler into the butterfly housing causing more trouble so a clean is on every 5000 miles at the mo.

Hope this helps
Craig
Craigs T4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 18:35   #35
keith Stanley

Talking Can't recreate the fault!

Craigs T4, thanks for that, am definately going to clean that and see if it helps.

We have also taken off the carbon canister purge valve return and run taken the car for a 40 odd mile test run - amazingly we cannot recreate the stalling fault - she runs as smooth as anything and although you can blow air through the valve so would seen like it's working OK she is running fantastically! Going to order a brand new one and leave the old one off whilst driving too and from work during the week and see if the fault re-occurs! Thank you so much to Baffler for this suggestion, if it works looks like we owe you a very large beer!!!
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 18:42   #36
keith Stanley

Can't seem to source the carbon canister purge valve return line - anyone any suggestions? Looked at parts for Volvo's and did an internet search for the part number but nothing????
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 18:44   #37
twinturbo

Lets hope we are on a winner

TT
twinturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 19:07   #38
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Can't seem to source the carbon canister purge valve return line - anyone any suggestions? Looked at parts for Volvo's and did an internet search for the part number but nothing????
FRF / Rufe on here,, http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=57125 for a brand new one , theres a contact form , lob all the details in, get a quote / how to pay etc back (usually next working day, but maybe longer sometimes) and they offer a nice % disount to boot.
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 19:44   #39
keith Stanley

Cheers - have sent them an e-mail, hopefully hear back from them soon.
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 23:15   #40
Baffler
Premier Member

You're welcome Keith, I really do hope it works out for you and you can start to enjoy the car.

Quote:

Valve P/N = 1275226 - have a look back at my post and see attachment for all associated part numbers.

Simon (Rufe) of FRF will advise you on the correct part number/s also.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote