Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fault Code - any ideas if this is causing the problem?

Views : 4831

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 5th, 2011, 22:40   #21
keith Stanley

I would if I could locate the bloody thing - spent about an hour out there earlier taking off the air filter and air intake pipe and still couldn't find it - they make it look so easy in the Haynes manual !!! :-)

Will removing it cause any other problems?

I have driven it around town today and on short journeys she runs a dream, seems to be over 20+ miles I have the problem. Drove her along one of our A roads last night, deliberately pulled into a layby and whilst decreasing speed she cut out completely!
keith Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 22:49   #22
twinturbo

is it always whilst decelerating and comming to a halt?

TT
twinturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 22:49   #23
twinturbo

is the t4 fly by wire throttle ?
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 22:56   #24
keith Stanley

Always cuts out on decreasing speed, went from about 80mph and braked, not harse and as soon as I put my foot on the clutch to change down the car cut out completely. Checked that there is no hissing sound from the brakes apart from the usual sound on initial depression.

Sorry but what is the fly by wire throttle?
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 22:59   #25
twinturbo

right

so a slow deceleration and coast to a slow stop does not cause an issue. but pulling up at say a junction may cause a cut out.

TT
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 23:04   #26
keith Stanley

The majority of the time it does it on deceleration like pulling up at roundabouts and junctions - mostly notice it at about 30mph that's the speed it seems to cut out at and then it's instant. It has only felt like it's going to stall whilst crawling along (revs waving up and down), pulled over put my foot on the clutch and it cut out. Once restarted all ok.

If I can catch the car quick enough and the speed is ok I can jump it back into life.
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 23:10   #27
twinturbo

right.

you need to find someone who can pull live data.

If it were a 90's ford I would say that either the base idle was a tad too low or that the VSS was reading an incorrect speed.

Depending on how Volvo has implemented it's management and if it uses Vss Data it may be that the managment is not sensing deceleration to stop, and so is not able to pull up the idle speed to combat a stall response due to mechanical load as the car aproaches stop.

TT
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 23:19   #28
keith Stanley

Thanks for that, will find someone locally who can pull live data.

I know a lot of you guys have your own ones, if I decide to purchase one (as the wife has an S40 as well) what is th ebest one to get?
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 00:12   #29
thealchemyst
Master Member

if its got one take off the idle control valve and give it a damn good clean with carb cleaner, see if that improves things
1995 850 t5 glt estate purple,FK-40mm,stainless exhaust polybushed,wilwood4pot+s60r discs,mbc,019 battery,18" c30 alloys,michelin pilots,silicone hoses,braided brake lines,HID's,ipd track swaybars 25+mpg :0) @Prescott Hillclimb
thealchemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 01:12   #30
Baffler
Premier Member

Have a look at the carbon canister purge valve return line, going from the top (NS) of the radiator to the inlet manifold, and you'll see an inline one-way-valve with a little arrow on it. If the diaphragm inside the valve is faulty it can cause back pressure, rendering the idle air control valve useless.

Just a thought...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T4 emmisions control one way valve.jpg (100.0 KB, 27 views)

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote