Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

HELP!: Adding Brake Fluid!

Views : 3519

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 5th, 2011, 10:49   #1
freelance

Question HELP!: Adding Brake Fluid!

I have a 2000 v40. The brake light came on yesterday, and the brake pedal went soft. I'm assuming I can get away with just adding brake fluid for now, (at least to get it to the shop), but I can't get the cap off. I'm afraid that if I twist it too hard, I will break the bottom where the plastic reservoir connects to metal. Any tips???? The manual says to always have the brake fluid added/flushed by a dealer, but this seems like a ripoff.
freelance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 11:00   #2
Darlo 1
Lunatic.

I would say you have a leak somewhere. Check all your pipes and unions for fluid loss and if you are not sure take it to a garage. Don't take any risks with the brake system.
Darlo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 11:03   #3
freelance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlo 1 View Post
I would say you have a leak somewhere. Check all your pipes and unions for fluid loss and if you are not sure take it to a garage. Don't take any risks with the brake system.
Yeah, but I still need to get it two miles. I need to at least add enough fluid to get it there.
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 11:44   #4
andy_d
Premier Member

Hold the reservoir bit with the other hand, use a strap wrench on the cap, it will come off without snapping IF you hold the bottom part. you should be able to see the level without taking the cap off.
is your car a manual gearbox? if so the clutch shares that fluid res, so it may not be a brake issue but a clutch master / slave cylinder one, either way you probably need to check the level and top up..
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 12:56   #5
Darlo 1
Lunatic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
Hold the reservoir bit with the other hand, use a strap wrench on the cap, it will come off without snapping IF you hold the bottom part. you should be able to see the level without taking the cap off.
is your car a manual gearbox? if so the clutch shares that fluid res, so it may not be a brake issue but a clutch master / slave cylinder one, either way you probably need to check the level and top up..
Doh didn't think about clutch. Good thinking that man.
Darlo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 16:46   #6
sebaveh
Winegrover

If throwout bearing on your clutch is leaking, you should get the servide done ASAP. If not, brake fluid comes on dual mass flywheel and destroys it - rubber between both disk parts.

It happened on our VW Transporter T5, authorised dealer mechanics changed the clutch plate, but not the throwout bearing. Even if it is clearly stated from factory that whole parts on the list must be changed. 40.000 km later, everything between engine and transmission gets ****ed with fluid. And there goes your hard earned 700 € down the toilet.
sebaveh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 21:03   #7
freelance

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
Automatic trans, but thank you. It seems that it just had air in the system. Maybe there is a leak where it's taking air in. Got to go have it bled and checked.

Tags
brake fluid, brakes, fluid, help wanted