Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

LPG Removal

Views : 1150

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 11th, 2012, 21:40   #1
vt5r

Default LPG Removal

Hi

I was hoping someone could help me, apologies if this has already been covered but couldnt find it in a search on the forum....

Is there a 'removal procedure' to remove the LPG kit fitted in my V70 T5? If not, should every LPG system have a 'bung' or something to empty the gas? I cannot run the gas to empty as it has a leak in the engine bay so dont want to run it on gas.....

Thanks
vt5r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 22:06   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

If the system was fitted in last 15 years it should have an electric shut off on the LPG outlet. There is also normaly a mechanical screw as a back up that can be used if the solenoid is weaping.

Sadly there are pleanty of bodgers have fitted the older valve with on the mechanical shut off and without the correct pressure relife valve. If that is the valve you have make sure you screw the shut off fully in. Most of the those valves have a shut off for inlet and outlet.

Where teh water is T'ed in you will need to connect the water hoses back together. Also where teh injectors fit into the manifold will need blanking off with M6 screws

Why do you want to remove the kit?
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 22:32   #3
vt5r

Many thanks for the reply, will take that to the garage for the guys to follow! I am breaking the car and need the engine, LPG and all the other bits out.....Not sure what make it is and i couldnt see anything obvious near the tank in the boot but i will try follow your instructions and hopefully get there!

Many thanks in advance
Old Jan 12th, 2012, 00:05   #4
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

This is what the valves look like

use the thumb screw(s) to shut off the gas

The one with pictured with the box is teh modern type. Other makes do vary a lot in apearance
Attached Images
File Type: gif mv-new.gif (54.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: gif mv-old.gif (30.1 KB, 6 views)
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 07:04   #5
vt5r

Thanks for the information. The LPG system fitted to this car is D.T SYSTEM, if that helps??? I cannot see a shut off valve when looking at the tank from inside the boot, could it be underneath? I guess once the shut-off valve/screw has been located and turned in (shutt off) then the LPG pipes etc are safe to disconnect?
Dont the LPG tanks have an electronic shut-off valve so if i disconnected the battery, it should be safe to remove the tank? Or what that be too easy!

Thanks again
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 11:50   #6
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

If they have the electric solenoid then just with the engine off you are safe to disconect the pipe.

Best thing to do is crack open the outlet pipe and undo a little so that gas starts venting. The gas from the pipe should vent off in about a min. If it keeps going much beyond that then the shut off is either not there or not working.

If all is ok once teh pipe is empty you can disconect everything.
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 22:37   #7
vt5r

Many thanks for you help Classicswede, it has the electric shut off valve. I also was on the internet last night looking up the specific model/type i have, and found the shutoff valve in the 'air box under the donught......

Whne i wound it in, i could hear a clunk in the tank which i assume was the valve shutting? Its the same kind of clunk whne you switch from petrol to gas....

Anyway, its safe now and almost removed

Thanks again