Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tracks skipping by themselves

Views : 807

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 13:59   #1
Sanzomat

Default Tracks skipping by themselves

I'm loving the stereo in my new V70, particularly playing music from the USB on "random" however the last couple of days it has started to skip to the next or previous track without me pressing any buttons. There seems to be a correlation to turning the steering wheel (but not always) so I'm wondering about a loose wire or dodgy switch in the steering wheel controls. another one to add to the list for the 3000 mile quality check next week. Anyone else experienced this problem?
Sanzomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 14:14   #2
MartinK

Not had this problem, so I guess it's something with your setup, or as you say a fault somewhere maybe on the wheel...

Mine's been Ok so far.
MartinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 13:31   #3
Sanzomat

As its now been going on for a week I'm seeing a pattern - it only happens within the first 15-20 minutes after a cold start, after which tracks that skipped during that time will play fine. I think the steering thing may be a red herring - my normal journey in the morning is 15 mins on "normal" roads (during which time all sorts of strange track skipping behaviour) and then onto the M5 motorway (mostly fine) but going the other way I get on the M4 motorway after less than 10 minutes and the strange behaviour continued on the dead straight motorway for another ten minutes. I'm now suspicious of the head unit. Maybe there is a dry solder joint that gives a dodgy connection when cold but it takes that time for it to get nice and hot after which the connection is tight enough until it cools down again?? Its going in tomorrow for its "quality check" but as it will probably be nice and warm by the time it gets there chances are it will behave fine and I'll get a "no fault found"
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 21:56   #4
Sanzomat

It got so bad yesterday I decided to listen to the radio instead. I then found the radio channels started to change by themselves! At least I know that my USB stick isn't faulty! I then went into the menus and they were jumping around all by themselves too! I'm guessing there must be something wrong with the head unit or the controls in either the console joypad or the steering wheel. Unfortunately problems at the dealer meant my 3000 mile inspection had to be postponed so I haven't had it checked out yet but at least I'll have some more info to give them more clues when it does go in. as it is sometimes fine though murphy's law will dictate that it will be fine for the dealer!
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 22:08   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

It would be handy if you wrote down exactly what happens and what you think about it to help the guy dealing with it .. as often with faults like this you need the information first hand if you are trying to fix it rather than passed down by word of mouth via about 3 different people , or the fault writen down in about 5 words on a job card . What problem prevented the 3 month QAI ?

when the fault is apparant why not press some relavent buttons and give the steering wheel a bang with the hand see if that influences anything , also do the same to the centre stack to try and isolate which area the fault is located in . You are right , the car will be faultless when you take it in !

Last edited by Clan; Oct 10th, 2009 at 22:11.
Clan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2009, 13:56   #6
Sanzomat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
What problem prevented the 3 month QAI ?
The car was delivered to me by road and on inspection I found the n/s front wheel had been "kerbed" - as my supplying dealer was "up north" they arranged for a dealer nearer home to refurb the wheel and this was set up to take place on the day of the QAI. On the day the wheel man (subby) disappeared early so they thought it better to rearrange the appointment rather than need to do two separate ones. I'm still actually under the 3k (clocking it up slower than normal) so not too bothered. The stereo has been fine for 2 days now so its obviously getting ready for its visit!