Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Pollution charges

Views : 3338

Replies : 53

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 8th, 2019, 15:42   #11
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

Location: A place in mendip-land famous for its cheese - and its gorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
Good public transport is the key to the scheme
So true. But there needs to more of it.

Our children don't inherit the world from us. We are borrowing it from them.
christheancient is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to christheancient For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2019, 18:38   #12
The Thong
VOC Member

It’s a shame that LPG wasn’t given more development, no particulates and the emissions were much lower than petrol. My S60 was gassed and the oil hardly discoloured between services and the exhaust pipe was quite clean too. Heh, I was working in Dulwich and I saw an LPG’d Prius Talk about covering all angles

TT
Old Apr 8th, 2019, 20:18   #13
Spike56
Master Member

Anyone know what happens if you live inside the zone and own a car?
Spike56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2019, 20:54   #14
ITSv40
VOC Member

I have just checked my cars on the official Gov ULEZ website: apparently as from today my C70, a 2.4lt petrol turbo is clean and not subject to the charge. The V40, a 2.0lt petrol non turbo is dirty and subject to the charge and 'er indoors '07 Mini Cooper - 1600 non turbo petrol is clean.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2019, 21:07   #15
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

From tfl.gov...ultra-low-emission-zone

Quote:
Residents
Residents who are registered for the residents' Congestion Charge discount will be granted a time-limited grace period where a 100% discount from the ULEZ will apply to their vehicles. This will give them more time to change their vehicle to meet the ULEZ standards
The discount will be available to those who live within the ULEZ and in designated areas next to the boundary where the Congestion Charge residents' discount applies. The grace period applies until 24 October 2021
This discount will only apply while they live within the zone and are registered with us
So there is a bit of leeway, but..
Quote:
From 25 October 2021, residents must pay the full daily ULEZ charge to drive a vehicle in the zone if it does not meet the ULEZ standards
If you live there worth checking exactly where it applies, and when, and how to get the residents discount. Part of the issue as I see it is that the old LEZ was basically anywhere inside the M25 (which to me is more than London), the ULEZ will be the present Congestion Charge Area (which is just a part of London), but news reporters and others can't comprehend anything more complex than 'London'. One of the drivers where I work was confidently predicting that we'd have to get a whole new fleet of trucks to deliver to our London depots, only thing is none of them will be in the affected area.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2019, 21:33   #16
Triple-S
How Old?

What nobody has checked is that all VED-exempt vehicles (ie classics) are supposedly ULEZ exempt too. I checked my 145 and 164 on the site by punching in the registrations, and 'tis true.
When I had a few weeks contract in the middle of London my 164 (all I had then) was even congestion-charge exempt, so if you have to go to town by car (I wouldn't dream of it now) get something like a Morris Minor. More economic that most, easier to drive than my manual 164 and entirely taxation free now. To quote a well-known phrase - its a no-brainer.

P
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Triple-S For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 9th, 2019, 08:47   #17
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Whilst these charges are coming in our glorious leader is, today alone, flying to France and then Germany. How much pollution has she caused flying around Europe these last 12 months? It will certainly dwarf my lifetimes worth of driving.
Old Apr 9th, 2019, 11:51   #18
derek vivian

Default pollution charges

Spike56 you might like to know that it was stated on the TV news last night that anyone living in the Zone for charges has until 2021 to upgrade their vehicle! That, to me, smacks of being a dictatorship.I will not change my car which is a Volvo V90 (1997) especially as I would get next to nothing for it so would cost me thousands for a new car that meets the pollution limits. I still think the catalytic converters need upgrading for retrofit as they are supposed to cut out CO and NO gasses.
derek vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to derek vivian For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 9th, 2019, 13:07   #19
Spike56
Master Member

Huh! I currently am outside of the'extended' zone. However it's my expectation that it will reach out to the M25 before too long. I also saw that motorcycles will be charged. That would affect 1000s of commuters!!

I pity the people who are told that they should replace their vehicle... They won't be worth even scrap value.
Old Apr 9th, 2019, 13:17   #20
Spike56
Master Member

Has anyone thought of the consequences of this fixed zone? If I go out (by car) I lose my on street parking space because I live 5 minutes from a railway station with links to London. Anyone who drives into town will now drive and park up then bus or train to work. The congestion AND pollution will simply move outward, not go away!

Look at what happened with the Dartford tunnel/bridge. So much congestion... I know, let's remove the toll booths, that'll work! No it doesn't! It's much worse now! Tailbacks for 3 junctions almost every day!

The authorities don't think it through!