Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Route to Windermere

Views : 355

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 7th, 2019, 16:43   #1
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Default Route to Windermere

I'm going to the north end of Windermere, half way between Ambleside and Windermere, on Friday, coming across from the NE. I will be coming down the M6 and looking at a map there seem to be 2 options:

1/ A592 from Penrith. Seems the obvious choice but I have a sneaky suspicion despite being an A road I will be mixing with roaming sheep, silly bends, hills etc. This could be short in distance but tiring in brain and time

2/ Go further down to Jct 39 and take the A6 to Kendal and then go across the A591 to Windermere. This looks longer in terms of distance but could be quicker in time. However I do not know this.

Does anyone know this journey? Can you advise the best one?

I am not a fan of 'beautiful' roads, I just want to get there with minimal stress and with no passengers feeling ill. Once I am parked up and done I will appreciate everything so please just give practical answers.

Thanks all.
Old May 7th, 2019, 17:10   #2
AndyJudge
Premier Member

Not done it for a good few years but I'd cut over on the A66 towards Keswick from Penrith & then Pick up the A591 from either Threlkeld or Castlerigg single carriageway but not too bendy & no sheep on the road, think of something like the A696 from Ponteland toward Jedburgh.

Down the M6 to Kendal you run the risk of Accidents on the Motorway or getting stuck around Kendal.

The A592 through Ullswater & over the Kirkstone pass is defo steeper, narrower & more bendy than the A591.

Andy
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyJudge For This Useful Post:
Old May 7th, 2019, 17:18   #3
volvocat

I would avoid Kendal which can be an horrendous traffic bottleneck - far worse than any potential sheep etc.
Personally, I would favour the A592 Ullswater option but Penrith, A66, A591 is probably the fastest, straightest route - also giving you the useful option of avoiding the outskirts of Keswick by taking the B5322 (St Johns in the Vale) at Threlkeld, which is a decent road.
Sorry, but they’re all ‘beautiful’ roads - imo!
volvocat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvocat For This Useful Post:
Old May 7th, 2019, 17:38   #4
Whippy
Premier Member

If you're up for it, there's great hike I can recommend? Go to coniston, there a pub called the black bull, by the side of that there's a path leading up to the hills, bit strenuous but worth it, it takes you up to the site of the old coniston copper workings, it might be signed YMCA. Anyhoo, copper was mined there since at least Elizabethan times, many adits but be careful!! These workings are extremely dangerous (when I was last there) many have a chain slung across the main opening and you (used to) be able to walk in and look down onto the winch platforms.

It's extremely interesting but potentially hazardous as many of the openings lead onto vertical drops of many hundreds of feet! Plus there's a danger that what looks like a solid floor is just a dirt roadway over a wooden roof, after hundreds of years these can rot and send you down into a stope many feet below. But if you're careful it's fascinating, lots of industrial history combined with stunning views.
Whippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2019, 18:02   #5
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippy View Post
If you're up for it, there's great hike I can recommend? Go to coniston, there a pub called the black bull, by the side of that there's a path leading up to the hills, bit strenuous but worth it, it takes you up to the site of the old coniston copper workings, it might be signed YMCA. Anyhoo, copper was mined there since at least Elizabethan times, many adits but be careful!! These workings are extremely dangerous (when I was last there) many have a chain slung across the main opening and you (used to) be able to walk in and look down onto the winch platforms.

It's extremely interesting but potentially hazardous as many of the openings lead onto vertical drops of many hundreds of feet! Plus there's a danger that what looks like a solid floor is just a dirt roadway over a wooden roof, after hundreds of years these can rot and send you down into a stope many feet below. But if you're careful it's fascinating, lots of industrial history combined with stunning views.
Thanks but we are meeting up with my 79yr old mum, partly as a well done to getting through some radiation treatment recently. We will be doing gentle wanders and tea shops rather than full on edgy and hazardous walks 😄
Old May 7th, 2019, 20:56   #6
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Sorry I can't remember the roads from when we were up there a few years back so no help there, but for a gentle afternoon the 'World of Beatrix Potter' in Bowness on Windermere is a good visit, mostly indoors it's a series of tableaux based on the illustrations from Beatrix Potter's books and very true to them too. If you read the books as a child or read them to your own kids it's a bit of pure nostalgia (and their tea room/cafe was pretty good too).

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old May 7th, 2019, 21:36   #7
e123

I have relatives in Cumbria and I'd agree with Andy - A66, A591.
e123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to e123 For This Useful Post: