Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General > 400 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 480 Celebration No.001. 27100miles

Views : 17251

Replies : 81

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 29th, 2009, 16:59   #21
ahal
Master Member

Wink

Ah, found it, but not on VOC: http://volvo480.dragons.org.uk/forum...ration&start=0

Looks a lovely car all the same, I'd be seriously sniffing if I had the readies.
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 21:16   #22
T240
Pure is Beautiful

Default Re: your Investigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahal View Post
Ah, found it, but not on VOC: http://volvo480.dragons.org.uk/forum...ration&start=0

Looks a lovely car all the same, I'd be seriously sniffing if I had the readies.
Thanks for this.

It is interesting to read on beyond the top of the page in the link to find that the car has suffered accident damage and has had a 'nose job'. I wonder if it was written off and subsequently rebuilt? Also interesting that it doesn't appear to have turned a wheel for over two years.

Anyhow, I would say that puts paid to his dreams of big bucks.

Cheers,

T

Last edited by T240; Jun 29th, 2009 at 21:38. Reason: typos
T240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 23:42   #23
cookie
Lord B on T5D5.org

http://volvo480.dragons.org.uk/forum...hlight=#106018

wonder what service history is like since 2002

also reading that thread it sounds like it wasn't in particularly good condition considerering it was so 'rare'

http://volvo480.dragons.org.uk/forum...hlight=#106191

has it been 'restored' or 'tarted up'
cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 10:21   #24
capt jack
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by javea1 View Post
Always find many so called enthusiasts such 'pillocks' when it comes to opinion of value. One sensible attitude and a bunch of no hope no money, whingers! Any item is worth what someone is prepared to pay, value guides are just that, a guide. This car is unique,and in my opinion, its value will rise substantially in future years. It featured in Volvo advertising in 1995 and looks likely to be sold to a major Volvo franchise for display and investment purposes. If I don't get the price I want I will choose not to sell it. I am not looking for the Volvo forum members to provide me any service or advice (and have been a member of the club since I acquired the car in 2006) so why the sniping comments! I am aware of two other 480's with low mileage sold in the past year for £3,995 and £3250 by dealers advertising on Ebay and on Autotrader. On this basis I , and others I have spoken to,(2 wishing to view this weekend) agree. Had the same whinging attitude from XR3 owners club members when I sold my 90' XR3i cabriolet with a mere 13,000 miles from new. "He's an idiot, only worth £1,000, must be joking, needs to look at the guides" etc, sold that car for £6,000 to a very serious collector from abroad.
So had my say, I'll either be proved right or will still have my toy to play with this summer, either way I win x "May all whingers big ends dry up and seize" (ALSO Cptn J. havent asked for any opinion of value , just advised that the car may be for sale!)
Won't bother attempting to dignify this inane diatribe with a considered response. Just one observation, does anyone else think that the photobucket pics of the 480's engine bay, and the apparent wear and tear to the driver's seat are a little at odds with claims of ultra-low mileage and showroom condition?

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 14:04   #25
dcw
VOC Member

I have also noticed that the car is missing its front spoiler (which as a Celeb it should have) and also that the "480" badge on the tailgate is in the wrong place for a Celeb - certainly based on mine and every other one I have seen. It should be well over to the right: the position of this one looks, to me anyway, like that for an ES or S with the model letters then removed.

Just a couple of further observations that mean that in my view too the car is nowhere near as "pristine" as it is supposed to be.

David
dcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 14:27   #26
ahal
Master Member

Talking

Come on guys, no need for all this ... don't you know that many 'celebrities' have a 'nose job' these days ( groan .... )
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 14:31   #27
brooklandsblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahal View Post
Come on guys, no need for all this ... don't you know that many 'celebrities' have a 'nose job' these days ( groan .... )
pmsl!
brooklandsblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 16:00   #28
capt jack
VOC Member

And the 'Celebration' plaque on the dash is not in the same position as no 191, photos of which are published on various other 480 web sites.

On this car the plaque is well to the right of the air vent, on no 191 it's directly under the air vent.

Any other 480 Celeb owners able to confirm the location of their dash badges?

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 23:27   #29
welsh-dragon

Yep directly inder the air vent on mine too.

Tony
welsh-dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 23:35   #30
T240
Pure is Beautiful

Default Re: javea1

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post
And the 'Celebration' plaque on the dash is not in the same position as no 191, photos of which are published on various other 480 web sites.

On this car the plaque is well to the right of the air vent, on no 191 it's directly under the air vent.

Any other 480 Celeb owners able to confirm the location of their dash badges?

Jack
Well Jack, I think he's done a runner since I replied and reported his last little diatribe.

Or quite possibly it's a combination of that, and the creeping suspicion I'm getting, that this was possibly a write off that's been restored from the dead; or at the very least suffered a broken nose, and probably acquired a nice little plaque along the way. Something else, is that in the forum from the other place (the last one listed here) if you go to the first page, it was June 2006, and he describes the car as grey/silver with leather, 26,000 miles. The car we have seen is dark blue. It also says amongst other things, that it has an oil leak - at 26,000 miles. Reading the whole thread is very instructive; also shows the mod there to be misty eyed (confirming it as genuine from the plaque alone - in the wrong place) when he should be alert.

Sadly the DVLA no longer list the number of previous keepers, so I cannot find out if the car was really sold back then in '06. One suspects from the writing back then, and what we have seen, it is the same person, same car, same mileage (from Dec '06), 2 years plus down the road, but in a different colour.

Also, as I mentioned to someone privately, I suspect that No.1 is in the Volvo museum. If anyone knows the museum or has the inventory, that would be useful.

n. b. Attached is a pic of the dash plaque of Celebration No. 127 (genuine)

Cheers,

T
Attached Images
File Type: jpg !BUC)zig!2k~$(KGrHgoH-D0EjlLlt1SHBKLk!Ojy,w~~_1.jpg (16.2 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by T240; Jul 1st, 2009 at 00:37.
T240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to T240 For This Useful Post: