Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Little smoke from dipstick?

Views : 7874

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 30th, 2009, 22:22   #11
charlotte001
Premier Member

Default Pcv

Quote:
Originally Posted by five alive View Post
a service update years ago,many years ago the old b series engine thats in the old 200/700 series had a brass flame trap,that was changed to a plastic affair then later it was advised just to remove the trap from its housing due to blocking up but i still come across them fitted all these years later.
So what went in the empty void? or was it simply left to atmosphere? The pipe goes to the Oil separator goes from the flame trap on my GLT {well it should but it doesnt but it will once Eurocarparts gets their act together and sends me the manifold gasket}
Previous Volvos:850 GLT 2.5 20V Auto Saloon Silver. 1997 850 T-5 Auto Estate Nautic Blue Chipped ECU, V70 TCV, Carbon Cased Filter, 17inch alloys, Rattling Engine masking the suspension rattles. Engine doesn't rattle anymore
charlotte001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 22:29   #12
five alive

nothing,just give all the breather pipe's a clean or replace if they are naff and relpace oil trap if its not re-usable,pic is for b200 ish engine but its the same idea,just leave trap out
Attached Images
File Type: jpg breather.jpg (2.5 KB, 140 views)

Last edited by five alive; Jul 30th, 2009 at 22:33.
five alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 22:32   #13
charlotte001
Premier Member

Default smoke

Quote:
nothing,just give all the breather pipe's a clean or replace if they are naff and relpace oil trap if its not re-usable,
Ok thanks for that. Got a entire new unit for mine
Previous Volvos:850 GLT 2.5 20V Auto Saloon Silver. 1997 850 T-5 Auto Estate Nautic Blue Chipped ECU, V70 TCV, Carbon Cased Filter, 17inch alloys, Rattling Engine masking the suspension rattles. Engine doesn't rattle anymore
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 18:21   #14
T240
Pure is Beautiful

Just for the record, the service update recommending: "Flame Trap - check for removal" also applies to the 940 and 960 series (both 4 and 6 cylinder).

The odd thing is, the last time I checked, Volvo still list the flamtrap part number!

Cheers,

T

Quote:
nothing,just give all the breather pipe's a clean or replace if they are naff and relpace oil trap if its not re-usable,pic is for b200 ish engine but its the same idea,just leave trap out
Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 22:29   #15
djron

Unhappy v70 2001 blow by problem need help (new member)

Hi There,
I Am A New Member And I Need Some Help/Advice. I Have Got A V70 2001, And I Am Getting Blow By Through Dipstick And Rocker Cover. I Have Cleaned And Checked All Pipes, And Replaced The Pvc Box Under The Inlet Manifold. I Have Checked The Seals In The Sump And Cleaned Out The Turbo Rad. The Engine Has Done 160,000+ Miles And Tried Everything That Others Have Advised Me To Do And Check. I Need Help Because I May Be Thinking Of Replacing The Whole Engine. Any Advice Or Comments Would Be Most Appreciated As I Will Not Use The Car, Incase I Do Anymore Damage,

Thanks Ronnie.
djron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 22:50   #16
storming

Default Ptc

Clean the ptc out with Brake Cleaner, make sure the little pipe is clear too on the ptc.
storming is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to storming For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 23:08   #17
charlotte001
Premier Member

Default engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by djron View Post
Hi There,
I Am A New Member And I Need Some Help/Advice. I Have Got A V70 2001, And I Am Getting Blow By Through Dipstick And Rocker Cover. I Have Cleaned And Checked All Pipes, And Replaced The Pvc Box Under The Inlet Manifold. I Have Checked The Seals In The Sump And Cleaned Out The Turbo Rad. The Engine Has Done 160,000+ Miles And Tried Everything That Others Have Advised Me To Do And Check. I Need Help Because I May Be Thinking Of Replacing The Whole Engine. Any Advice Or Comments Would Be Most Appreciated As I Will Not Use The Car, Incase I Do Anymore Damage,

Thanks Ronnie.
Until the compression drops very low as the rings give up the damage will be very slow if you've replaced the PCV. I have the same problem with some smoke still coming from the cap and the dipstick and its been suggested that it could be due to worn rings [big job] I'm just going to leave it till the engine gives up.

Last edited by charlotte001; Aug 23rd, 2009 at 23:15.
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 18:15   #18
djron

Quote:
Originally Posted by storming View Post
Clean the ptc out with Brake Cleaner, make sure the little pipe is clear too on the ptc.
will try that thanks
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 18:34   #19
djron

Quote:
Originally Posted by storming View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlotte001 View Post
Until the compression drops very low as the rings give up the damage will be very slow if you've replaced the PCV. I have the same problem with some smoke still coming from the cap and the dipstick and its been suggested that it could be due to worn rings [big job] I'm just going to leave it till the engine gives up.
Thanks For Your Reply, I Am Going To Do A Compression Test As Soon As I Get A Compression Tester. I Have Noticed That There Is Quite Alot Of Oil Around The Turbo, And The Rocker Cover. I Cant Locate Where This Is From At This Very Moment. My Guess Is That It Is Probably From An Oil Leak, Or Due To The Pressure From The Engine, It Is Forcing It Out Somewhere. When I Bought The Car I Had To Replace The Turbo, As This Was Seized Up. I Dont Know What Actually Caused This To Go Down In The First Place. This Car Was An Ex-Leasing Car, So I Take It That This Has Been Thrashed (I Suppose, Who Wouldnt?), Maybe That's Why The Engine Has Given Up At This Early Mileage. I Have Also Been Told That The Head-Gasket Could Have Gone Between The Two Piston-Bores, Causing Pressure. Could This Be Possible?? I Am Not Actually Getting The Usual Symptoms (e.g Over-Heating, Water Pressure, Oil And Water Mixed Together), Engine Ticks Over Sweetly, Only One Time The Low Oil Pressure Warning Had Come On, Since Then I Have Not Used It Due To The Smell Of Burnt Oil Coming Into The Car. I Dont Want To Give Up On The Engine Until I Have Checked Everything Out First. I Just Want Things Working Properly, As I Do Not Know This Car Because I Have Only Had This Car For A Month. I Cant Trust The Car If I Had To Go Anywhere Far.

Thanks. Kind Regards, Ronnie.
Old Jul 29th, 2019, 19:38   #20
Natredge

Hi I have a xc70 cross country 2003 and there is smoke coming from oil filler and dipstick dose anyone have any idea i just got car 2 days ago and now concerned it is also using water please help.
Natredge is offline   Reply With Quote