Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

01 v70 2.4t misfire on lpg

Views : 1888

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 7th, 2017, 21:16   #1
DQ81

Default 01 v70 2.4t misfire on lpg

I have a 2001 v70 2.4t auto on a Vialle LPi system

On petrol it runs well and pulls hard through the rev range.

I've recently replaced the plugs as a baisc service was needed and the car is new to me. Also because on LPG under hard acceleration I noticed it was missing and losing power.

Flashing ECU light. Turns out I've got a misfire on cylinder 3. Got 2 good used coils. Replaced cylinder 3 twice with known good coils. Still persists.

When accelerating on LPG and giving it full throttle it will bog and miss, switch over to petrol it's like turning on a rocket booster. So it has to be LPG fuel delivery.

Ideas?
DQ81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2017, 21:05   #2
Simon Jones
Premier Member

LPG needs a stronger spark than petrol so any weaknesses in the ignition system will be more apparent when running on gas. Volvo branded spark plugs seem to be more suited to their engines that other brands (based on what I've read on the forum) and usually when using standard plugs, the advice is to reduce the gap by 0.1mm.

Worth also getting LPG system serviced and possibly retuned. I can only comment on BRC and Prins systems that I've got, but sometimes you need the technician to tune the system via the laptop while car is being driven to get it to run seamlessly. I'd previously had my BRC system setup 'perfectly' on the emissions analyser but when trying to drive the vehicle, it wouldn't pull the skin off custard, but a 20 minute blast round the countryside with the chap updating the mapping in the ECU returned it to full performance.
2001 V70 D5 - sold
2000 V70 Classic 2.4 - sold
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2017, 21:45   #3
DQ81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Jones View Post
LPG needs a stronger spark than petrol so any weaknesses in the ignition system will be more apparent when running on gas. Volvo branded spark plugs seem to be more suited to their engines that other brands (based on what I've read on the forum) and usually when using standard plugs, the advice is to reduce the gap by 0.1mm.

Worth also getting LPG system serviced and possibly retuned. I can only comment on BRC and Prins systems that I've got, but sometimes you need the technician to tune the system via the laptop while car is being driven to get it to run seamlessly. I'd previously had my BRC system setup 'perfectly' on the emissions analyser but when trying to drive the vehicle, it wouldn't pull the skin off custard, but a 20 minute blast round the countryside with the chap updating the mapping in the ECU returned it to full performance.
Yeah if your ignition has a problem LPG will find it.

I fixed it today actually. I did a few things so I can't say for sure what the fix was but I'm pretty sure it was a bad Lpi injector.

It now pulls strong on Petrol and LPG

What I have done in summary:

replaced all plugs with Bosch plugs

replaced coil on offending cylinder (twice).

Today I replaced the brand new Bosch spark plug with a genuine Volvo USED part. Just on that cylinder. I also replaced the LPi injector on the offending cylinder and shuffled the coil packs around as I read about the inaccuracy of the specific cylinder being identified as culprit for missfire.

Took the car out and it ran better than ever. Fantastic.
Old Nov 10th, 2017, 08:55   #4
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Quote:
Yeah if your ignition has a problem LPG will find it.
Absolutley. Cheap plugs are best. Narrow the gap. Daft LPG plugs, are just a waste of money, and multi-point things will not work, or not work for long.

Iffy coil-packs will work on petrol for thousands of miles but will throw a hissy on gas.
Old Nov 10th, 2017, 10:58   #5
DQ81

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel View Post
Absolutley. Cheap plugs are best. Narrow the gap. Daft LPG plugs, are just a waste of money, and multi-point things will not work, or not work for long.

Iffy coil-packs will work on petrol for thousands of miles but will throw a hissy on gas.
I don't know if it was the plug, coil or injector at this point. Although, the plugs are brand new cheap bosch one's and the coil had been replaced twice. So my money is on the injector.

I think for the sake of clarity at some point I'll switch back to the Bosch plug and see how it does and same with injector
Old Nov 25th, 2017, 15:11   #6
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Oddly, only yesterday and yet again, I've replaced a coil-pack. Must be the third or fourth I've done to date. I've built a stock of them! Maybe you're not done with them yet?

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Nov 25th, 2017 at 15:24.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2017, 12:08   #7
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQ81 View Post
I don't know if it was the plug, coil or injector at this point. Although, the plugs are brand new cheap bosch one's and the coil had been replaced twice. So my money is on the injector.

I think for the sake of clarity at some point I'll switch back to the Bosch plug and see how it does and same with injector

You've got it working better than ever - leave it alone !