Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

More Power? 2005 S60 2.0t Auto

Views : 1184

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 11th, 2018, 20:44   #1
Cento16v

Default More Power? 2005 S60 2.0t Auto

Evening all

So I've finally got my S60 pretty much as good as a 12 year old car can be, replaced all the drop links, replaced engine mounts with polybushed ones, replaced the front lower arms, had a proper hunter alignment done on it, replaced the ABS pump motor, all I have left to do is fit the osf reluctor to it and all will be Well, or it should be.

I didn't mind the relative low power at first tbh, but after 18 months or so I'm a bit bored, and hence my quandary.

Do I get a BSR kit and go to 228hp in a known good car or do I accept it will never be what I want and get another Saab?

It's not a 'slow' car, and is more than powerful enough to tow my relatively light caravan, and it handles pretty tidily for a big car, but it's frustrating sometimes when the opportunity presents to get past a row of slower traffic.

I worry that the BSR kit possibly wont make that much difference and its not the cheapest thing to buy!

Is a 2.5 T5 going to be a better idea perhaps?
Cento16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2018, 22:36   #2
adieu
Master Member

Best thing would be to go and test drive a T5 and an R then make a choice.

A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster
adieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2018, 00:28   #3
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

I too have a similar predicament.

A few years ago, I had a choice between a 58 plate 2.0T SE LUX with the full 13 speaker stereo, Active Bi-xenons, electric driver/passengers seat etc.... or a 57 plate 2.4 T5 but with NONE of those features

Hard choice, but I went with the 2.0T (manual gearbox) as I couldn't justify having a barebones car. The 2.0T does need a bit more power though. You can remap them to 220 bhp approx, but you look on youtube and even with a remap, they look slower than the stock 2.5T (210bhp) towards the top end.

I must admit, if I could drop a 2.4 T5 engine into my car I think I'd keep it forever. I just cannot seem to find any T5's with the same spec, especially those Active Bi-xenons.

I could definitely find a 2.5T with the same spec though, and there is a massive amount of knowledge of tuning the 2.5T due to the S60R and the slightly modified version found in the old Focus ST/RS so perhaps a 2.5T is the way to go...

Last edited by T5R92011; Jan 12th, 2018 at 00:30.
T5R92011 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2018, 01:06   #4
Cento16v

I thi k you may be correct sadly, I've become quite attached to my S60 but I'm definitely in need of more power, I've just been looking at s80 v8s which seem quite interesting and should also be quite reliable looking at the reviews.

Also been looking at Passat R36's and Skoda Superb V6's, not sure what to do really, will have to have a think over the weekend.

My S60 is a great spec, 13 speaker stereo, upgrade leather, electric memory seats, sunroof, Detachable towbar, cruise etcs, if it was a full fat T5 I don't think I'd be thinking like this tbh.

Last edited by Cento16v; Jan 12th, 2018 at 01:10.
Old Jan 12th, 2018, 13:15   #5
DT19
Master Member

Try some blue injectors and a stage 1 remap. That's what I've done with mine.
I used to have a V50 T5 and while it's not quite the same power as that it's not far off and it's much more driveable, especially at the bottom end.
DT19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2018, 13:39   #6
Cento16v

Who did you use for a remap? Did you get before and after RR figures?

This is why I miss Saab, so many cheap, yet proven good options for this kind of stuff.
Old Jan 12th, 2018, 23:38   #7
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT19 View Post
Try some blue injectors and a stage 1 remap. That's what I've done with mine.
I used to have a V50 T5 and while it's not quite the same power as that it's not far off and it's much more driveable, especially at the bottom end.
This is interesting, someone on here said that the BSR remap introduced a bit of turbo lag on the 2.0T.

I actually prefer the power delivery of my 2.0T to my old S40 T5... in the 2.5 the power seemed to drop off quite noticably after 5,500rpm, whereas in my 2.0T its much more keen to go the redline.

I think that could be due to the Dual hub VVT on the later 2.0T compared with single hub on the 2.5.
Old Jan 14th, 2018, 13:30   #8
DT19
Master Member

I used Regal Tuning in York but I think they have a branch in Bradford.
The price included rolling road sessions before and after but it didn't work properly on the second run so i didn't get an accurate figure, saying that though the improvement was noticeable. I fitted the blue injectors later and really I need to go back and get it re-calibrated but it goes well so I'm in no rush but it does use a bit more fuel.
DT19 is offline   Reply With Quote