Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Harsh ride over potholed roads

Views : 3916

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 24th, 2018, 21:23   #11
whiten
Volvofaithful

When I bought my XC60 I preferred the styling of the R Design but wanted the ride quality of the SE. Vanity won I’m afraid, but I slightly regret it now. The now available adjustable air suspension would have been the answer though...
2004 E3 S60 D5 SE facelift with prem pack | V40 1.8 SE | 360 GLT Plus a few other 360’s, 240 GLT & 740 GLT
whiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2018, 08:57   #12
Zigster

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis View Post
Lowered suspension, firm shock absorbers, massive wheels with pathetic elastic band tyres ...

This is what happens when form is put before function. This car vanity is what gives you an uncomfortable ride. Probably really useful on a racing circuit, where you're either flat-out or braking, but do you really drive your car right on the limit of it's performance that these things become necessary? I mean, you wouldn't want to arrive thirty seconds late for ASDA car-park, would you?

Think of the time these performance enhancements save you! You might have had to set off a minute earlier if you had one of those n00b cars with actual rubber on their wheels and suspension that actually can make it over a speed hump at more than three miles per hour. Oh, how you'll fly across town with your 18" rims, braking at the very last second for every red light confident your lowered suspension will maintain the car's poise and posture because, y'know, don't want to lose any momentum to the springs for the red light you're stationary at.

It really makes me laugh how people keep adding all these performance bits to make it go faster. Then they moan about speed cameras and enforcement.

The sleek lines, the shiny paintwork, the confident stance on the showroom floor ... but in the real world it's a folly. But, people buy with their eyes.

It's all styling. It's why indicators are almost invisible these days. Impractical, but it looks so good. Shame about the ride quality.
I completely agree. Before I bought my XC60, I demo'ed a Q5 and was appalled at the ride on the sports suspension and low profile tyres. That was one of the key reasons I looked at the XC60 instead.

I might lower the pressure on my XC60 a bit from the 39 psi I currently run them at to see if that improves the ride - the potholes where I live are shocking at the moment.

Bear in mind that 18 inch wheels on an XC60 are still 60 profile tyres - not exactly rubber bands. Although I do sometimes wish I had gone for the no cost "downgrade" to 17 inch wheels.
Old Apr 28th, 2018, 15:23   #13
airbrass

Default 18 inch rims R design D4

Originally car set up at 39 psi and although a far better ride than my Audi A4 I set the pressure to 37 psi. Which I think is a good compromise.
I regularly drive 100 mile trip half on motorway half A roads best mpg was 63 with a tail wind in the summer. Colder temps reduce mpg I regularly get 61 on the trip driving sensibly. This time of year April I’m getting 55
airbrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2018, 15:29   #14
JRL
Master Member

Ah, the roads in Edinburgh! Was over visiting my daughter in Leith last week, went for a run in her recently acquired Nissan Almera and broke the driver's side coil spring within ten minutes on a cobbled patch. Not a happy girl!
Old Apr 28th, 2018, 17:13   #15
PJordan

Oh dear! Not good but so easily done in Edinburgh!!