Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 plug in hybrid battery

Views : 842

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 2nd, 2018, 17:40   #1
Fisnik

Default V60 plug in hybrid battery

Hi, wanted to find out whether the V60 Plug in hybrid battery capacity is larger than when it's charged to 100% in order to extend the battery life.

I know that lithium ion batteries like to stay around the 50% to 80% mark. Especially if they're going to be left unused for a while.

I'm wondering whether there's some more capacity in the battery that volvo hasn't made available.

Do you guys always charge to 100% all the time even when you're not going to use the car for a while? Currently I charge it at 100% all the time and I use the car only on the weekend so it stays parked during the week. I'm wondering whether I'm damaging the battery by doing that.
Fisnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2018, 18:30   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

You can bet your bottom dollar that there's a heck load more intelligence built into the battery management system then you will ever find on this forum!

Modern vehicles have highly complex battery management systems to compensate for battery temperature, ambient temperature, charging cycles, age, average and peak vehicle demand, historical battery performance (and who knows, maybe atmospheric pressuer and solar radiation) and they protect the battery at all times against that most ominous and ever-present threat: the Owner.

You won't be able to do any damage to the battery.
It's smarter than you.

There definitely will be a certain percentage reserve capacity to ensure that the battery surpasses it's specified capacity ratings when new and for a long time thereafter - but all batteries, being of chemical nature, will and do age.
And aging reduces their effectiveness.
And one day it will be, like all humans, old and weak and no longer able to do what it could when it was in it's prime of life (remember the crazy things you did when you were 18?)

But treat it nicely by keeping it in room temperature conditions - don't leave it outside when it is subzero temperatures or over 30 degrees - and this alone will help to extend the lifespan a lot.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old May 2nd, 2018, 21:01   #3
steadvex
Master Member

I always thought the battery pack was 12kwh but only 8 usable...

I would love a way to be able to make the full pack available for use! would be easy to get a genuine 30 miles from the battery then.

Considering the price of these battery packs and the fact they have to be warrantied for 8 years / 100,000 miles as Swiss says you can be sure they are over developed!

There is some crazy thermal management in these battery packs, we have a Nissan leaf as well which has compared to the Volvo pack is pretty shoddy, there is a reason the Volvo battery pack is about 3x the cost even though it only has a third of the usable capacity
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steadvex For This Useful Post:
Old May 2nd, 2018, 22:22   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisnik View Post
Hi, wanted to find out whether the V60 Plug in hybrid battery capacity is larger than when it's charged to 100% in order to extend the battery life.

I know that lithium ion batteries like to stay around the 50% to 80% mark. Especially if they're going to be left unused for a while.

I'm wondering whether there's some more capacity in the battery that volvo hasn't made available.

Do you guys always charge to 100% all the time even when you're not going to use the car for a while? Currently I charge it at 100% all the time and I use the car only on the weekend so it stays parked during the week. I'm wondering whether I'm damaging the battery by doing that.
the working range is about 12% to 80% ( empty to full on the gauge ) If you are going to park the car up for months then it must be put away with about 25% charge .. higher or lower can reduce it's life ..
Talking of life it wont suddenly fail after 8 or whatever years but each year will see some reduction in range . There is a lot of water heating and cooling going on inside the battery to keep it in it's operating condition what ever the temperature outside .