Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cracks in tyres

Views : 4293

Replies : 61

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 19th, 2018, 09:14   #31
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfr View Post
I have a French motorhome which had a similar problem. The issue is the vehicle standing for long periods on the same bit of tread.( in my barn ) Mine failed the mot, which was a lot less expensive than failing at 100 km per hour on the motorway! The tyres concerend were 10 years old so it was to be expected.
If the tyre is as new as yours, it should not do it. Have them changed and then argue the toss.( From a safety point of view. ) The liklyhood is you will get nowhere i am afraid.
The testers in france over inflate the tyres in turn to check for block cracks as its a killer.
Not being funny but if you knew the tyres were 10 years old and were cracked and you expected them to fail the MoT, why didn't you get them changed before taking it for MoT?

As for MoT testers deliberately over-inflating tyres, that can also damage the tyres in different ways as well. Not to mention the fact they may not set them to the correct pressure afterwards which can cause handling problems, a bouncy ride or just plain sliding around.

Makes me glad i don't live in France!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 19th, 2018, 10:52   #32
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
As for MoT testers deliberately over-inflating tyres, that can also damage the tyres in different ways as well.
Just to put a bit of "meat on the bones" of this statement, here's a quote from a thread i found when i searched for "tyre damage through over-inflation" :

"There could be untold internal damage to the tyre carcass and beads so there's no way on earth I'd want to drive on them. "

This is the thread i found it on :

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1217210

It can also result in weaknesses in the sidewalls which can develop into carbuncles later on which can blow out unexpectedly weeks or even months later.

If the bead is deformed as a result of overinflation, again that doesn't always show up immediately but can blow off the rim under load - believe me that isn't pleasant! That finished ruining my xmas in 1986!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old May 19th, 2018, 16:23   #33
Drivetest

Hi there should be a week and year code on sidewall .google how to check this ie 0815 see how old the tyres were when bought them .I had Kwikfit in the 90s put a 5year old tyres on my car only found out when I had a puncture .
Drivetest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drivetest For This Useful Post:
Old May 19th, 2018, 16:30   #34
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivetest View Post
Hi, there should be a week and year code on sidewall. Google how to check this e.g. 0815 see how old the tyres were when bought them. I had Kwikfit in the 90s put a 5 year old tyre on my car, only found out when I had a puncture .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Two sets of the same tyres of a similar age? I wonder what the date code is on the tyres belonging to "psl" and if it's similar to yours David?

https://www.kwik-fit.com/tyres/information/tyre-age

If it's in the same age range as yours then the pair of you could have a case against Goodyear, his have done a lot more mileage than yours so that is now less of a possibility.
Good call but we did that on the first page of the thread!

Old May 20th, 2018, 11:34   #35
827Roverman
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivetest View Post
Hi there should be a week and year code on sidewall .google how to check this ie 0815 see how old the tyres were when bought them .I had Kwikfit in the 90s put a 5year old tyres on my car only found out when I had a puncture .
Sounds about right for them.
827Roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2018, 21:13   #36
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I will not touch Goodyears now. Had a pair a few years ago (at least 10) and they only lasted 3000 miles before being down to teh limit. That car would normally do between 10 and 20,000 on a set of tyres. Goodyear had zero interest in even looking at the tyres back then.

From an MOT perspective the amount of cracking is of no concern. It would not worry me and even with deeper cracking I would not be overly concerned. WIth the age there should not be any cracking and I brand like goodyear should not be selling tyres that are cracking so quickly.

If you are not confident in being able to control a car with a rapid deflation of a tyre then close inspection of tyres and replacing them at the first sign of any defect is a good idea. I would not suggest to take any risks that you are not comfortable with. I do also see the other extreme attitude of it will be allright when tyre are in very poor shape and ready to let go at any moment and the owners will not spend as it still holds air
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2018, 23:36   #37
volvo always
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
I will not touch Goodyears now. Had a pair a few years ago (at least 10) and they only lasted 3000 miles before being down to teh limit. That car would normally do between 10 and 20,000 on a set of tyres. Goodyear had zero interest in even looking at the tyres back then.

From an MOT perspective the amount of cracking is of no concern. It would not worry me and even with deeper cracking I would not be overly concerned. WIth the age there should not be any cracking and I brand like goodyear should not be selling tyres that are cracking so quickly.

If you are not confident in being able to control a car with a rapid deflation of a tyre then close inspection of tyres and replacing them at the first sign of any defect is a good idea. I would not suggest to take any risks that you are not comfortable with. I do also see the other extreme attitude of it will be allright when tyre are in very poor shape and ready to let go at any moment and the owners will not spend as it still holds air
I was at ATS having my 940 winter tyres removed and asked about my goodyear efficient grip tyres fitted to my lexus if cracking in the tread was an MOT fail and he said so long as no cord exposed then no.
He had cracking on the outside of his 3 year old Michelin tyres with 20,000 miles covered.
I and he wasn't impressed as I have Michelin energy savers on my 240 and 940 and I have no cracking issues.

I certainly wouldn't buy efficient grip. Before I knew these goodyear issues I bought goodyear ultra grip 9 winter tyres and so far excellent in winter and no cracking.

I'll keep them and see if any issues at the mot at the end of July.

James
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post:
Old May 22nd, 2018, 11:17   #38
827Roverman
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo always View Post
I was at ATS having my 940 winter tyres removed and asked about my goodyear efficient grip tyres fitted to my lexus if cracking in the tread was an MOT fail and he said so long as no cord exposed then no.
He had cracking on the outside of his 3 year old Michelin tyres with 20,000 miles covered.
I and he wasn't impressed as I have Michelin energy savers on my 240 and 940 and I have no cracking issues.

I certainly wouldn't buy efficient grip. Before I knew these goodyear issues I bought goodyear ultra grip 9 winter tyres and so far excellent in winter and no cracking.

I'll keep them and see if any issues at the mot at the end of July.

James
Since starting this saga about my Goodyear Efficient Grip tyres cracking, I have heard from one or two people that it would not be a MOT failure providing that no cord was exposed, I'm not technically minded enough to know the in's and out's of tyre manufacture, but to me if they are cracking then the rubber is parting company, so if cracks can be seen whats going on below what you can't see, MOT failure or not when I went back to Halfords with mine I asked for them to have a look at the tyres, the very first words was "they need changing" that was good enough for me ! I've been driving for fifty plus years and have owned many cars, I can't remember ever having cracks appearing in almost new tyres before, regardless of use, if your tyres are cracking get them looked at, after all they are the only contact between you and the road.
827Roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 827Roverman For This Useful Post:
Old May 22nd, 2018, 11:30   #39
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

5-year gtee ! ace ! and they fly airships - 2 great reasons to buy goodyear
Old May 22nd, 2018, 11:42   #40
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

What David just said! ^^^^^

When i first saw all this nonsense that it wasn't an MoT failure, i was furious that people could be so silly as to believe that! Further up the thread, there is a link to the MoT testers manual and the most relevant section within it is indicated in the text just before (or just after) and it states that the rubber shouldn't be parting company.

It does also state the cords shouldn't be visible but if the rubber is cracking up, it would only be a matter of time.

Also because of the construction of the tyre, to actually see the cords would be long after the tyre would be illegal from a tread point of view unless it had all cracked off first.

I had a tyre once that was cracking, had to use it as it was the spare and i'd had a puncture the previous day (only got the car the day before the puncture as well) and the whole tread belt detached itself suddenly and without warning.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: