Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

VIDA 2014D and DICE Installation

Views : 4085

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 21st, 2018, 07:20   #1
Sceptre63

Default VIDA 2014D and DICE Installation

Below is my step by step guide on installing and getting it to work. Thanks to all those contribute to these forums to help the DIY enthusiast. DIY is becoming a challenge on day to day vehicles with the continued advance on technology and the forever aspirations of the motor industries wish to achieve 100% black box when it comes to servicing. I do have to say I now enjoy even more working on historic vehicles where you can diagnose any problem!

Vendor: dealforward ebay ‘1999-2015.3 VOLVO VIDA DICE EOBD OBDII Diagnostic Scan Tool Auto Car Code Reader’

Feedback: Delivery very fast! I think I was lucky. The video installation was NOT accurate provided with the kit. It shows the patch error with TSKILL.exe issue where the DEMO did not show conclusion of the installation. The video did not help me.

System Checks:
• HDD > 30GB (with OS installed) – YES
• RAM > 2.75 GB – YES
• Windows 7 – YES
• IE 9 – YES
• FYI: Processor Intel 2.1GHz
Attempt – 64 Bit
• 74GB HDD clean- NTFS Format
• Windows 7 Professional – 64 Bit installed
• Settings:
o Do not install automatic updates
o Time: UTC – London
• IE8 was installed on the Win 7 version
• Installed:
o IE9 x86 (Don’t use recommended settings option once install complete)
o dotNetFx40_Fullx86 x64 (One forum member said this helped, cannot find the reference)
o WinRAR361
• Restart
• Copy DVD files to C:/VIDA
• Extract Part 1 to the folder it recommends (Volvo Vida 2014D)
• Turn off Firewall
• Turn off Windows Update
• Restart
• Run set-up as administrator
• Installed OK
• Copy ‘TSKILL.exe from Windows\System32 to Windows\SystWOW64’ as advised by shanecooney111 on Sweede Speed where I found this advise.
• Restarted
• Ran patch that was located in the Volvo Vida 2014D unzipped file (make sure it run at the C: location)
o This runs very quick and does not give any installed successfully notifications.
• JBOSS and bunch of words came on the IE page, closed it down and reopened VIDA page showed
• Username. Admin
• Presto all ok.
• Create a restore point!!!!!
Sceptre63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2018, 07:21   #2
Sceptre63

NOW DICE installation:
• External 12V supply (I had a DC farnell desktop supply I rigged up)
• Turn on and the Firmware status LED (GREEN) flashes
• Plug into a USB port and driver installed the window showed ‘DiCE-206751@000000000000…’ (Many 0’s)
• Now follow the DICE installation instruction for the rest. And also read the VIDA help file on the DICE update. Google these

IMPORTANT NOTE on DICE Update: It is not recommended and could fail on these cheap Chinese clones. Try your DICE after VIDA installation. If it works, why change it! PS. The update It was OK for me and here is the result.

DICE Update:
• DICE UPDATE: LED light status during process
 Firmware status (Green) – flashing, then keeps flashing during update
 USB com status (Orange) – flashing, the keeps flashing during update
 Bluetooth com status (Blue) – flashing, then off during update
 Vehicle interface status (Red) – flashing, the off during update
• Note a few USB connecting / disconnecting beeps from windows heard the the only light left flashing was Firmware Satus.
• Communication Test:
o Test communication tool window pops up: (LED Initial state)
 Firmware status (Green) – flashing
 USB com status (Orange) – flashing
 Bluetooth com status (Blue) – flashing
 Vehicle interface status (Red) – flashing
o Click run
 Firmware status (Green) – flashing, then keeps flashing during update
 USB com status (Orange) – flashing then ON until installer says result OK.
 Bluetooth com status (Blue) – off
 Vehicle interface status (Red) – off
o In the window I click remove DICE and FS flashed green and USB remains solid orange until I unplugged.
o You have successfully installed and configured DICE.!!
• Create another restore point!

Last edited by Sceptre63; May 21st, 2018 at 10:05.
Old May 21st, 2018, 09:30   #3
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Most DICE do not need updating
And often the cheap chinese clones can fail during an attempted firmware update
So the best advice is: never attempt a DICE firmware update (don't break a running system)
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2018, 10:00   #4
Sceptre63

Good comment, In all honestly I did not try the unit before the update. Maybe I was lucky with this one. (I've edited the main text based on your advise)
Old May 21st, 2018, 10:26   #5
aland

This post should be a sticky on all sub-forums !

Past: V70 D5, 855 T5, 940, V40 T4, S40
aland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2018, 20:54   #6
JohnL

I have just updated to 2014D with W7 and IE9, from 2011D/Dice and xp all loaded successfully onto a new computer, but when connected to the car with Dice, it came up with a window to update dice with a USB stick, is this really necessary having read various threads here.
Are there some simple checks that I can do, I'm not really familiar with what to do now.
I think I only had the key in position 1, afraid that something might to serious damage to car! Should it have been in position 2?

Is there a simple step by step guide please?
John
JohnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2018, 18:16   #7
JohnL

All now fixed at last, its been a real challenge to get it loaded and working, just hope the life time of the software works.
John
Old Oct 29th, 2018, 18:55   #8
gregdoc

Default vida

what did you do to finally get working
greg
gregdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2018, 21:28   #9
JohnL

Read all the info here vidadice.blogspot.com/search/label/Volvo%20Dice%20install

I didn't know that there is a separate power plug in the Dice, right next to the OBD cable entering the Dice box. The centre pin is the positive, outer in Negative. Then connected to 12v battery.

Connect battery, don't connect USB cable yet, turn on All in one, when loaded and in, the plug in USB, on the left of the screen you will see the Dice box number in the window, at the right of this box connect, a separate box will open, with 3 choices, I think at this stage a new window opened that said the Dice needed new firmware (5.6.2), this is in the 2014D package, and when prompted update dice it did all automatically, only took a few seconds!
Disconnect battery power, and connect to OBD plug in car, all connected up and read the car, key needs to be in position 2.

Hope this helps, what's you actual connection problem?
John
Old Jan 6th, 2022, 11:45   #10
cancunia

Thanks to all for taking the time to post on this thread, it helped a lot for a first time DICE user.

I bought a used DICE unit which came with a plain DVD. On the DVD there's a VIDA 2014D DVD image split up into 7 Zip files, plus some other bits & pieces. I installed that version of VIDA onto W7. I used the VIDA version that came with the DICE, just in case it was specially configured. There are other VIDA images kicking around which look very similar but for now I'm going with the version that came with the DICE unit.

I downloaded W7 Pro 64bit from the official MS site, luckily I have an original W7 key on the laptop. There's a 50GB SSD in the laptop & 3GB RAM.

The official W7 Pro comes with an earlier version of IE, so I downloaded IE9 which was a bit difficult to find as it's no longer hosted by MS.

After rebuilding the VIDA image, it installed without issue and also installed it's own version of .net

I hadn't realised that the DICE unit needs 12v power to work, so it was specially helpful to read about that here, otherwise I might have thought it was a duff unit when nothing happened after plugging into the USB port on the laptop. After powering up and connecting, the DICE driver loaded & VIDA recognised the DICE.

Next step is a scan of my car, I'll report back after....

Update:
DICE scan worked fine & confirmed that I need more EOLYS
I found the following video helpful
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...XJkM3HYN69cnQd

Last edited by cancunia; Jan 6th, 2022 at 14:04. Reason: Update
cancunia is offline   Reply With Quote