Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo X (Pro-Touring 1967 Amazon)

Views : 84650

Replies : 626

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 10th, 2011, 14:14   #21
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

You've got me thinking about the suspension again which is good. How much anti-camber is designed under reasonable cornering? Your top control arms seems quite short so camber change will be quite significant and sudden from looking at the photos. Have you stiffer springs in the front? If so then you'd need less of a change in camber. And have you designed in anti-dive, this is where I think the main improvement would be had over the original design. I'm struggling to see how such a short top control arm will be good. I'm no expert on the suspension but it looks like the design will result in a large and sudden negative camber when cornering and loosing full contact and this will be even worse with wide modern tyres. Wouldn't longer unequal control arms be better with a less agressive change in camber, especially if stiffening the suspension.
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 18:26   #22
Iamtheonlyreal1
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch1971 View Post
You've got me thinking about the suspension again which is good. How much anti-camber is designed under reasonable cornering? Your top control arms seems quite short so camber change will be quite significant and sudden from looking at the photos. Have you stiffer springs in the front? If so then you'd need less of a change in camber. And have you designed in anti-dive, this is where I think the main improvement would be had over the original design. I'm struggling to see how such a short top control arm will be good. I'm no expert on the suspension but it looks like the design will result in a large and sudden negative camber when cornering and loosing full contact and this will be even worse with wide modern tyres. Wouldn't longer unequal control arms be better with a less agressive change in camber, especially if stiffening the suspension.
Mitch... One thing you are not considering is, the postion of the upper control arm.. It is actually in a more outward position, so it actually act like a longer arms would with the position of the lower.. I do have the Anti-Dive set at 4 degrees, which should would work out great... There isnt any negative camber movement at all.. The position of the Upper control arm is set to apply a realistic Postive Camber (Wheel in at the top) during hard suspension compression.

These components have been tested for decades.. Very Very few cars have equal length control arms, and even if they do, they leave deficiency's else where..

Classic Auto Glass Innovations
Flush Mount Glass
Classicautoglassinnovations.com
Iamtheonlyreal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2011, 00:35   #23
Iamtheonlyreal1
Trader

Here are some pictures of the car outside.. I am going to see if I can work with the wheels a bit, I really like the way they look.. I am thinking I may just order some 18 inch front, and keep the 19 inch rear...

Flush Mount Glass
Old Jun 11th, 2011, 04:55   #24
Iamtheonlyreal1
Trader

The car pictured above has the 2 inch drop spindles, which shows the extreme it can be set up at.. There is enough suspension travel and alignment capability to set the car on the ground.. With the Standard Spindles, you can get back to factory ride height...

Flush Mount Glass
Old Oct 15th, 2012, 00:48   #25
Iamtheonlyreal1
Trader

Here are some pictures of the suspension kit itself, along with some installed pictures.. This is a completely Bolt In Unit (No Cutting or Drilling)

Here are some pictures of how the unit comes to your door step, and it being installed into the Amazon.

Standard 11 Inch Brake Pictures (Drilled/Slotted is an upgrade), along with some pictures of the 14 Inch 6 Piston Caliper Option available also.. 11", 12", 13" Wilwood also available in the 4 or 6 Piston Caliper Options..

Flush Mount Glass
The Following User Says Thank You to Iamtheonlyreal1 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 15th, 2012, 00:49   #26
Iamtheonlyreal1
Trader

Here are some pictures of the 19" wheels on the car at factory ride height with standard spindles, with the 14 inch Wilwood Brake option..

Flush Mount Glass
Old Oct 15th, 2012, 00:50   #27
Iamtheonlyreal1
Trader

Here is an update of the rear end mocked up in the Amazon body.. I have some New Design Adjustable Aluminum Rear End Links and Panhard Bar being manufactured for this application, and for a stock arm replacement package. The custom link kit will directly bolt to the body and factory rear end assemblies also, which will help with replacement bushing issues for the factory links. This will also allow for all the possible adjustment I need, and allow this rear end assembly to go in all the models of Amazons and P1800's. This is mock up mountint is with the factory springs and shocks, to show that it is a direct replacement for the factory rear, but we also have a Coil Over Spring Conversion kit to eliminate the original coil springs and shocks. This will allow for better vehicle set up, and will also eliminate the pesky suspension sag these cars are plagued with.

These rear end assemblies will be offered in several packages.. Just the Floater rear end assembly that you can install any 9in ford carrier you may have.. A complete unit with carrier assembly already installed, and with your gear ratio and traction specs. With or with out the Coil over conversion. The links will be offered seperately for people that want to use them with the factory rear ends, but will have to be purchased with the New Design rear end assembly for ease of install.

Along with the gear ratio and traction options, these assemblie have numerous brake options up to 14 inch brakes. The pictures below, show the base level kit with general motor calipers. These calipers do have an emergency brake application, so nothing is lost there.

Flush Mount Glass
Old Oct 15th, 2012, 00:52   #28
Iamtheonlyreal1
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyd View Post
Any more updates?
Well, there are alot of updates.. LOL New Company Name and logo's, along with more upcoming for the Swedish Ops Online Catalog..

Here are our completed front end kits.. These are the base models, and they come as pictured. Fully assembled, and ready to install. I have some professional pictures that were taken for the catalogs, but I am waiting on them.. So you will have to deal with my poor picture taking.. LOL

Here is a 12.19 inch 4 piston Wilwood Upgrade, and we go all the way up to the 14 inch with 6 piston calipers

Our new Company Name and Logo, along the rear view rendition.. If you look at the rendition, you will see some of the upcoming products that will add to the body features.

Flush Mount Glass
Old Oct 15th, 2012, 00:54   #29
Iamtheonlyreal1
Trader

Here are the DeWitts Radiators made exclusively for the Swedish Ops Catalogs.. They come in Single Core or Dual Core, and are direct bolt in. They will work with the original B18/B20 fan and shroud, or have a electric cooling fan option that comes complete with all the wiring, relays, sensors. Pictured is a single fan configuration, we have currently switch to a dual fan set up for added performance and additional clearance for the Dual core.

The Dual Core Radiator, it has the capable efficiency for the V8 Conversion, and the Higher Performance Turbo Motors out there.

Flush Mount Glass
Old Oct 15th, 2012, 00:55   #30
Iamtheonlyreal1
Trader

We also have a nice Adjustable Aluminum Rear Trailing Arms/Panhard Bar Kit... This kit will work with the Swedish Ops Rear End Assemblies, and the factory Later 66 and up Rear Ends with out adapters. We do offer an adapter kit for the earlier cars also, so no one is left behind... With this kit, you can now lower your car, and always be able to dial in your rear ends pinion angle, and side to side position.. If you change your ride postion with the factory arms, the pinion angle will change, and the rear end will move more to one side.

In production at this time, is a nice Rear Coil Over Conversion kit.. This kit eliminates the Rear Coil Spring and shocks, and replaces them with the Adjustable Qa1 Coil Over's.. Unlike other rear coil over kits, ours puts all the weight load back into the factory spring pockets.. Some other kits out there, only offer a cross bar that attaches to the inside wall of your unibody frame work. Never made sense to me, and hated using them on other builds, so I have designed it a bit different.. There is also a quick adjust ride height setting, that will allow you to fine tune your vehicles stance and ride height..

Flush Mount Glass